[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here ever had to eat a pet? Like a pig or chicken?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 600x173) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 600x173
Anyone here ever had to eat a pet? Like a pig or chicken?
>>
File: 1445005141266.jpg (60 KB, 1200x1081) Image search: [Google]
1445005141266.jpg
60 KB, 1200x1081
>>7216470
>pet
>pig or chicken
>>
We used to have a pet steer named Cutie Pie.

He arrived as just one of a truckload of feeder steers but it quickly became obvious that he had been hand raised. My niece adopted him as a pet. When it came time to sell the cattle, Cutie Pie stayed.

Cutie Pie would follow my niece around like he was a dog. Imagine a 5 or 6 year old girl with a 1,500 pound (or bigger) dog.

He really liked to have his head and neck scratched.

Cutie Pie had a nice life on the farm. He had plenty of pasture his entire life. When he was getting old in years, we decided to have him butchered, grind all the meat to hamburger, and donate it to the local food pantry. Since it was going to the food pantry, the butcher did the job for cost.

Before taking the ground beef to the food pantry, we made hamburgers one day to try it out and make sure that the beef was fine. It was.
>>
>>7217784
>not having a pet pig
>l i t e r a l l y one day from 2016
>>
My wife is Asian, works at a Chinese restaurant. Her boss is a Chinese woman with a few kids. She raises chickens in her backyard with the intention of eating them later.

Her kids kinda grew attached to the chickens and started to notice them going missing. After a while, the kids actually started counting them out.
>>
>>7217801
Beautiful
>>
>>7216470
I used to raise project pigs, had one get cancer, so we shot it and processed the meat, not really a pet though.
>>
My mother's pet dog got hit by a car when she was a kid, and the local dog man / barber offered to butcher it. Her family ate it, but obviously she refused.
>>
>>7217867
What? You ate cancer pig?
>>
>>7217868
Asian?
>>
>>7217880
Yup. Apparently the men would know it was haircut time because all the dogs would start howling when the guy showed up.
>>
>>7216470
>pig or chicken
yes
>>
>>7217813
Pigs are terrible pets. We raise them here (for food) but my daughter and her friends will play with them and occasionally bring one in the house. Just imagine the most stubborn bullheaded dog, that's how all pigs behave in my experience.

Gonna smoke a 13 lb shoulder off of one for New Years.
>>
File: 1445219330987.gif (3 MB, 350x349) Image search: [Google]
1445219330987.gif
3 MB, 350x349
>>7217784
>Not having a pet chicken

What's it like, to have no soul?
>>
>>7216470
I ate a few ducks my mom kept as pets, told her they got out and flew away

kek
>>
>be little kid
>get pet piglet around christmastime
>care for him, pet him, take him for walks and just love the fucker to pieces
>come march or april
>spend part of the day looking for chocolates and boiled eggs hidden around the churchyard for some reason
>have roast pork, stir-fried broccoli greens, fresh bread and jacket potatoes for lunch

Should have been tipped off when my parents named him our language's equivalent of 'Easter,' but I was like four or five at the time and didn't understand that he was meant to be food, not friend.
Still, no one thought to explain to me not to get attached to the would-be meal. :-(

Also, many, many hens. By the second bird, I understood to never love anything ever again.
>>
>>7217842
Chickens=cats
>>
File: possu.jpg (142 KB, 960x662) Image search: [Google]
possu.jpg
142 KB, 960x662
>>7216470
When I was a kid, we still followed the old christmas ham tradition a few times. Bought a piglet in spring or summer, fed it with whatever was around, we'd play with it until before christmas, and then dad would walk it to the yard and shoot it in the head. Then it'd be bled out, and the blood would need to be whisked like crazy to keep it from clumping up, so it'd be good for soup, pancakes and sausages. And then the pig would have to be scalded to get the hair off, which was done by pulling a sack over it, and then dunking boiling water on it until the hair came off by scraping with a knife back. Then the guts would be pulled out, and the kidneys and the liver and the heart and other parts would be pulled out and boiled with some clumps made of rye and the blood spilled earlier for what is called the killing soup. And then, there were the hams, which was cut from the carcass after the hocks, and which were brined and spiced for christmas. One was usually gifted to good friends, the other kept, and baked over night in a baking oven. The ham and its drippings were the real star of Christmas, at least for greedy piglets like ourselves.

Too bad for the pigglers, but that's how it is. One was named Remu, and another was named Kirka as far as I can remember. They were good friends, and to be honest, probably the best behaved members of the bunch of us. So it was more a family member than a pet really, so I wonder if it counts. Regardless, they were delicious family members. If my older sister had been of as good taste, and the police wouldn't have minded, we would have preferred to stick her into the oven instead. Too bad, though, the piggies were the members to go.

Picture from a newspaper article, not ours.
>>
>>7217891

That rooster got clucked
>>
>>7217870
Yep, it was tasty, cut out the cancerous bits though. Felt like a day on /ck/ before there was /ck/.
>>
>>7217927
Fucking savages
>>
>>7217927
>referring to coagulation as clumping
don't do that
>>
>>7217801
How is a hand-raised steer different in behavior?
>>
>>7218048

A hand-raised steer is tame and used to human contact.

The same can happen with other animals that have become accustomed to humans.

Several years ago I was fishing along a creek and heard a noise behind me. I looked behind me and saw a young deer stripping leaves off of the low branches of a tree.

I turned around slowly and watched him for a few minutes in disbelief. Every once in a while the deer would glance at me and immediately go back to the leaves.

After a while I stepped forward and it didn't react at all. I was able to walk up to him and pet him!

After that, I saw him about half the time I went fishing on that creek. Over the course of the summer, he was getting more skinned up but not very skittish.

I later found out that the deer had been raised in someone's backyard in a nearby town. When the game wardens found out, they picked it up and dropped it off along the creek.

But many animals can become pretty tame when used to human contact. That applies to regular cats and dogs as well. If you've ever seen barn cats that were not exposed to humans when young, they are very wild -- if you manage to catch one, it is going to do everything it can to escape.
>>
>>7218041
Not all of us are biologists faggot. The blood clumps up so that's what we call it.
>>
>>7217927
My dad made me watch him slaughter a cow when I was about 6 or so. It was awful at the time. He shot it in the head and it was having what looked like a seizure afterwards. I remember crying.

I've done it like a 1000 times since and there was a reason he did it,
>>
I had a pet chicken that my grandma killed and cooked into soup when I was out with my friends
>>
I was in Rural East Switzerland once...

>Be me driving taking in all beautiful scenery of "non touristy" Swiss villages.
>Got hungry, stop in small village where only cafe is also post office and mayors house.
>Get excited for a literally home cooked meal.
>My German is bad, their English was barely understandable, so I ask for what everyone else was eating which was a stew and bread.
>It's delicious.
>Swiss teenager comes over and slowly enunciates the name of the dish I'm enjoying.
>My understanding of German picks out the words... Oh No....
>Swiss kid says in good English that I'm eating roasted cat stew.

Kept my cool, ate a little more (because at the point why not? Damage was done), paid my very expensive bill (because food in Siwss is STUPID expensive) and ran out of that village.

So thats how I ate a cat.
Its even on Wikipedia that rural Swiss are known to eat cats. But not in the travel books.
>>
>>7218279
Half-Swiss here.
Dogs, not cats. We make fun of my mum's side of the family about it even though they're all from Zürich.
>>
>>7216470
A friend of mine put his hamster in a soda stream and gassed it.
Didn't eat it though.
>>
>>7218279
I... find it strangely logical, now that I think of it. Imagine being snowed into a small valley for a long time, with a limited amount of cattle and grazing grounds.

It still makes me a little sad, of course. But needs must.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.