[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oeuf en Coccotte with Smoked Salmon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_2334.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2334.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hey guys, I was the anon who did the ja/ck/ chimichangas awhile ago.

While I've been super busy, I haven't had time to make another ja/ck/ recipe. However, I had the day off and decided to share my breakfast with you guys.

I made oeuf en coccotte with smoked salmon that i had leftover from a Christmas snacking plate.

Anyway, here's the mise en place

Smoked salmon
one egg
lemon vin
one thick slice of brioche
pickled red onions (pickled with apple cider vin, star anise, garlic, peppercorns and chile de arbol)
microgreens (someone gave them to me, just trying to use them up
sour cream
rosemary
butter
>>
File: IMG_2336.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2336.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7214963
Butter the ramekin picture in the OP (for some reason I didn't list it) and add chopped rosemary to the butter. So it looks like this, then crack the egg and add the egg to do the ramekin
>>
File: IMG_2338.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2338.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7214970

So, you need water to be damn near boiling at this point in a pan like pictured. Once the water is going, drop your brioche into your toaster.

At this point in the recipe you need to pay attention very well because it will move somewhat fast.

Put the ramekin in the water. The water should really only be high enough to reach a little bit up the side of the ramekin. You NEED to cover the pan with a lid so the steam can cook the egg. For an uncooked yolk, this should take between 3-4 minutes. But you'll have to keep an eye on this.
>>
File: IMG_2339.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2339.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7214977
While the egg is cooking, and your brioche pops, spread sour cream on your brioche toast. I like this instead of butter because of the creaminess and the touch of acidity it has. At this point, I put my pickled onions on the toast.
>>
File: IMG_2341.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2341.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>7214982
After 3-4 minutes, the egg should look like this. Remember to keep an eye on it! Because my yolk moved over to one side (fucker), it was really hard to extract it.

Run a sharp knife around the edge of the ramekin to loosen the egg from the edge. Try not to pierce or otherwise damage the yolk. Carefully remove the egg (I did this in my hands, and it was really fucking hot) upside down, and turn rightside up on your toast.
>>
File: IMG_2342.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2342.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7214986

I forgot to mention that I added salt and pepper to the egg before it went into the steam bath. ALWAYS SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER!

Anyway, I put the egg on the toast, put a generous amount of smoked salmon on the toast, and topped with the microgreens. I drizzled a touch of the lemon vin and voila! This is how I eat when I get to cook for myself.

Hope you guys enjoyed!
>>
that looks really nice
>>
>>7215000

Thank you! It tastes really good, too! It is actually a really easy dish, its just about time management. And I fucking hope it looks better than anything Ja/ck/ Scalfani has made. Jesus, that man makes me so angry but I can't look away from his videos. They're just so entertaining.
>>
>>7214988
>>7215012
nice job, not a lover of fish but i'd devour this
>>
>>7215012

sorry, but it doesn't look as juicy as his chicken
>>
Looks really good. Do you work as a chef? How do you make the pickled onions?
>>
>>7215028
I do.

I sliced the red onions (wish I had a mandoline at home so they would have been thinner and consistent, but not the point) as thinly as I could. You can parboil the onions (takes away some of the acidity and strength of the onion) but I chose not too.

So, I put the onions in a heat resistant quart container.

In a pan, I toasted black peppercorns and a clove of star anise. Don't burn the peppercorns, but the star anise can benefit from a slight char (though, I try not too). I add these to the onions in the container. In the container, I also added a whole chile de arbol. I didn't toast or reconstitute it, because I wanted a mild spice, and it would be much hotter if I did anything else to it. Also added two cloves of smashed garlic and a bayleaf to the container.

In a small sauce pot, I used a 2/1 ratio of water and apple cider vin (I didn't measure, but I've done this so many times that I don't need too. You just need enough to cover the onions). I put a generous tablespoon of salt and about 1/4 cup of sugar. Bring that up in heat until the sugar dissolves. Once that happens, you can either allow it to cool a little bit (maybe 10-15 minutes) or just pour over the onions. I just poured over this time. Put a weight on the onions so they stay submerged in the vinegar solution. Leave it out, uncovered at room temp until the onions are at room temp. Cover and put into fridge. Will last for a stupid long time.
>>
>>7215056
how much semen is in this pic? >>7214988
>>
>>7215080
Sour cream? As much as you'd like. I just put a thinnish layer to coat my toast. Maybe a tablespoon.
>>
I thought the point of oeuf en cocotte was to cook the egg in creme fraiche so you get a partially set cream around it. This just seems like a poached egg.
>>
>>7215111

Uh, maybe classically. It really is just a poached egg but in a set form (like the ramekin). I've actually never seen one in creme fraiche
>>
>>7215120
Weird, I've never seen one _without_ cream. Seems kinda pointless otherwise.
>>
>>7215163
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAUJrCQQUSg
>>
>>7215163

BTFO hahaha
>>
>>7215171
Huh, I guess all of my recipe books are for fat bitches. You should try the cream thing though, about equal volume to the egg. It makes a really soft sort of savoury custard.
>>
>>7215185
Not every conversation is an argument.
>>
>>7215189
Yeah I'll definitely look into that. I did a quick google search and it is definitely used when you bake the eggs. I just hadn't seen it with steamed. But yeah that sounds awesome.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.