[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck, recommend me a good option for Chef's knife under
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: 51t50g9KeZL._SY355_[1].jpg (5 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
51t50g9KeZL._SY355_[1].jpg
5 KB, 355x355
Hey /ck, recommend me a good option for Chef's knife under 50 USD.

Currently looking at Victorinox - Chefs Knife Extra Broad 20cm which gous at about 30-35 $.
>>
Every time someone purchases a victorinox a weeb dies.
>>
>>7214797
any other suggestions?
>>
>>7214797
>a weeb dies
good
>>
>20cm
It's not really a chef's knife, is it though? More like a petty knife. A lot of women and novice cooks are afraid of full sized knives, but this is because they can't imagine cooking for anyone more than just themselves and their cats. Don't be that spinster. Buy a real knife.

Also you got memed hard by Kimball, the Victorinox knives are no longer a good deal at those prices. Unless you can get a chef knife sized one for under $20, you're spending weeb knife money for a soft, shitty kraut knife.

tl;dr there is a reason everyone gets Tojiro now, just get a Tojiro like everyone else.
>>
>>7214844

you sound like a retard
>>
>buy a solid steelknife
>sharpen it before every use
>have it grinded once every 1-2 years
It's bloody easy
>>
File: 1448432391638.webm (3 MB, 640x350) Image search: [Google]
1448432391638.webm
3 MB, 640x350
>>7214853
>grinded
Is this correct grammar in Australian English?
>>
>>7214844
Tojiro Chef knifes are much more expensive tho... I am looking for a budget option that can hold its own with the proper maintenance
>>
>>7214797
Ayy I bought two Victorinox knives today :<?)
>>
>>7214863
Tojiro doesn't make a 20cm chef knife because 20cm isn't a chef knife.
>>
>>7214856

why did the dancing man take a wizz in his boi dooks?
>>
File: 410729.gif (3 MB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
410729.gif
3 MB, 400x226
>>7214856
>that fucking webm
>>
>>7214795
Victorinox's are great, just learn to correctly sharpen it and take care of it. Nothing wrong with 20cms either, hell I think it's the average size of a chefs knife, only really depends on what you're doing with it. If its just for home use you'll be fine.
>>
File: 81UFZ+TMc2L._SL1500_.jpg (100 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
81UFZ+TMc2L._SL1500_.jpg
100 KB, 1500x1500
>>7214795

Cutting straight to flavourtown for 15$.
>>
>>7214863
just bought a tojiro knife for 25 dollars due to a coupon I got.

Mercer also makes good cheap knives, but if you really want a good knife you are going to want to spend more than 50
>>
>>7215011
how do you expect to get to flavortown with no flames?
>>
File: 31MK7Q7UHvL.jpg (12 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
31MK7Q7UHvL.jpg
12 KB, 375x500
How about a Kiwi knife? Probably the best of the cheap.
>>
Chicago or Farberware have some good options
>>
>>7215116

absolute crap. garbage/dollar store/yer mum's house tier
>>
OP here - forgot to mention that I am from Europe so Guy Fieri is not really an option.

Probably will go with the Victorinox in the end... did not find anything with better price/quality ratio in amazon co uk
>>
>bought a housewife knife because i'm a novice and i don't want to take a high carbon supersteel weeb knife to snap city during dinner service

source: buddy is sous chef at a hipster restaurant. when asked, he told me 'if you buy that jap stuff you're just going to chip the shit out of it. learn to drive the sedan, then you can drive the racecar. get the wusthof at the shop down the street, it's what i used when i was in school'
>>
>>7215572
>supersteel
>VG-10
>>
>>7215572
>source: I work at olive garden and my coworkers can't into respect
>>
10" victorinox here and i love it for home use
ive used several knives and even have a few henckels in the drawer i never use.
for a cheaper knife the victorinox suits me fine and very comfy to hold. it just feels right and i think it was about 50$ US
>>
File: raul-julia-bison[1].jpg (42 KB, 326x480) Image search: [Google]
raul-julia-bison[1].jpg
42 KB, 326x480
>>7215018
I've got Mercer knives, the steel is high quality but they didn't come from the factory in great shape, they needed a good sharpening a month or two after I got them, but since I had a professional sharpen them they've been smooth cutting and wonderful, so I think as good as the metal is they're kinda just throwing out a passable product without caring about the long term.
>>
File: takeda-gyuto-240mm-full.jpg (694 KB, 3600x2400) Image search: [Google]
takeda-gyuto-240mm-full.jpg
694 KB, 3600x2400
>>7215859
i was looking to buy this, actually. literally aogami super. too much knife for a novice is the general consensus of actual professional cooks that i know irl.

>>7216012
olive garden pays more, desu. i don't think lolive garden servers pull $1500 in sales over dinner service on christmas day, either.
>>
>>7217233
you know it's not really valyrian steel right
>>
File: 1381882734521.jpg (26 KB, 460x300) Image search: [Google]
1381882734521.jpg
26 KB, 460x300
>>7217241
>i had to look that up
what i know is that i might be the only person left in western civ that hasn't watched or read game of memes.

the metal they use in these knives is very hard and tends to chip and corrode if misused. it is not VG-10, it is not stainless.
>>
>>7217308
I got the ones that Ramsey is pushing, they take twenty good men to make and they cut like dragonglass through a white walker.
>>
>>7217233

How many professional chefs in western kitchens even use high carbon rust fast knives?
>>
>>7217308
ok i guess enjoy your form over function knife without the social commentary
>>
>>7217313

Doesn't Ramsey use Wusthoff Ikon? That's German stainless, some of the best treated of the mass manufactured nice but still just German stainless.
>>
>>7217355
I don't understand this. Where's the meme?
>>
>>7215572
>you're just going to chip the shit out of it

Been using jap knives since I started cooking professionally and I haven't chipped shit. As long as you aren't a fucking retard this isn't a problem
>>
I plan on buying a steel chef's knife and a ceramic one just to see what the hubub is about.

What's a good entry level ceramic knife?
>>
OP here once again, was wondering is there a point in looking for second hand knifes? You know, so that you can get some extra for your money in terms of quality/brand/steel and after nice sharpening have superior performance.

Also thanks to everyone for the recommendations and ideas.
>>
>>7217798
If you're in the market for high end knives, the larger forums have a lot of buy/sell/trade action from sperglords with permanent upgrade-itis

That said, diminishing returns for steel alone tend to set in around the $200 mark, for everyday chef knives. So unless you're looking to score a vintage yanagi in blue #2 from a dead smith with a sterling silver ferrule, it's not really worth it.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.