[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to /ck/ so sorry if I'm doing this wrong or if I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_15081.jpg (3 MB, 4272x2848) Image search: [Google]
IMG_15081.jpg
3 MB, 4272x2848
New to /ck/ so sorry if I'm doing this wrong or if I'm on the wrong board

How do you cook fish to get the most nutrients out of it? Preferably in a budget friendly way, but I'll take what I can get. Trying to get fit and there's nothing on /fit/'s sticky about how to cook anything except vegetables.
>>
>>7212779
>How do you cook fish to get the most nutrients out of it?
WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEAN?
I HATE YOU!
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
>>
>>7212779
well if you boil it for about 5 hours you'll probably remove all the nutrients from it

though why you'd want to remove nutrients from fish I have no idea
>>
>>7212781
Can't tell if sarcasm or serious, but I guess the question doesn't make a lot of sense. I'll go in depth a little

How do I cook fish in a way that isn't frying it, while keeping its nutritional value as high as I can?

p.s. sorry for the humongous image file, had no idea it was that big
>>
If it's heated until cooked through you will get all the nutrients in it. Eat the skin as well for more nutrients. If you're looking for low fat cooking methods, steaming is your best bet. Wrap your fish loosely in aluminium, add seasonings, a splash of soy sauce and stick it in the oven at 200C for 20 minutes or until it flakes apart easily (that's how you tell it's done).
>>
>>7212787
>How do I cook fish in a way that isn't frying it, while keeping its nutritional value as high as I can?

Pretty much anything: grilled, steamed, pan fried, roasted, baked, deep fried, you name it...

Nutrient loss in cooking happens in one of two ways:
1) Too long of cooking time (or too high a heat)
2) Leaching out the nutrients into a pot of water the food is cooked in.

....neither of which are a concern with fish since fish has a short cooking time, and 2 can easily be avoided by choosing a method of cooking other than poaching.
>>
>>7212789
How convenient, I just got a fresh bottle of soy sauce the other day. When you say "add seasonings" which ones do you suggest? I've never cooked any fish before so I don't want it to suck.

>>7212797
I thought deep frying food destroyed its nutrition value though?
>>
>>7212785
I can't tell if you're stupid or simply trolling.
>>
>>7212817
>I thought deep frying food destroyed its nutrition value though?

Why on earth would you think that? The only potential "problem" with deep frying is that if you don't have the oil temperature hot enough then it can soak into the food and add extra calories. However nothing is lost during the deep frying process.
>>
>>7212817
What kind of fish are you cooking?
Skin on or off?
>>
Anyone got any interesting fish dishes? I'm feeling fish for tonight but have no inspiration.
>>
File: Beer Battered Pkg 420x420.png (187 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
Beer Battered Pkg 420x420.png
187 KB, 420x420
>>7212824
He was making fun of the way I phrased my question in the OP. All in good fun.

>>7212827
I guess I'm just sort of brainwashed into thinking deep fried automatically means bad, since it's what I've heard every time diets and eating healthy comes up in conversation.

>>7212831
I looked in my freezer and found a bag of pic related, but I need to go to the store anyways so I can get something else if need be. Either/or.
>>
>>7212817
https://warosu.org/ck/thread/S7099281
I did this last month, it was really good. (I don't mean to selfpost but other internet recipes don't go into as much step by step detail and I'm guessing you're very new to cooking and need all the help you can get)

The 20 minutes cooking time is assuming you're using fish fillets which are thinner and cook faster than a whole fish.
Nutrients aren't exactly delicate butterflies that will be destroyed easily by some heating. It takes severe overcooking to do that. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>7212843
Try to find some frozen fish. I live near an asian market, and they sell pounds of whole frozen mackerels for like 2 dollars a pound. Shit's tight, and tastes slightly better than prepackaged frozen fillets imo.
For most fish, a quick sear on the skin and then a bit of time roasting in the oven works well. Salt the skin side generously ofc. Once you pull your pan out of the oven hit the fish with a bit of lemon juice. Serve with some veggies (puree, raw, steamed, etc) or some soup or whatever you want.
If you cook your pic related, then just follow the instructions on the box u dolt.
>>
I always cook salmon by baking it at 450degrees F for 17 minutes in the oven. I couldn't tell you if that's the best way to do it for nutritional value, but I like the way it tastes. I lightly coat the salmon with a little season salt and garlic powder.
>>
depends on if you get fresh or frozen op.
depends on the fish too.

frozen fish i ALWAYS broil in the oven. comes out flakey and moist af.

fresh fish is in the pan. get some white wine and steam it in the wine. sooo good
>>
OP here, thanks for the input everybody. Going to the store to get some stuff for the coming days and might get something more than just >>7212843 for my fish craving.
I'll report back and tell you how it went after I've eaten it.

>>7212844
I've never been a huge fan of the idea of eating fish with the head still attached. Just grosses me out. Maybe I'll find one with the head already chopped off lol I copy/pasted it to a Wordpad page for future reference anyways. Thanks!
>>
>>7212844
Seconding steaming. It's probably the easiest way to cook fish without overcooking and one of the best ways to keep all the nutrition. It's also very tasty and I think is the best way to keep the fragrance of fish.

In my opinion, half an hour for a whole fish and twenty for fillets is too long in a steamer - but like I said, it's hard to overcook when steaming (I would say fifteen to twenty for a whole fish, five to ten for fillets, depending on size - I don't use foil in a steamer so that might explain the difference in cooking times).
>>
>>7212779
If you eat the head of the fish as well as the body you will gain its tasty courage.
>>
OP here again. I was gonna cook fish but my roommate just walked in with dinner (dat rotisserie chicken). Tomorrow night then, I suppose. Thanks again for all the input though everybody. Took lots of notes.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.