[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you make all the same recipes from a slow-cooker in a pressure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: IMAG0027.jpg (2 MB, 4224x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0027.jpg
2 MB, 4224x2368
Can you make all the same recipes from a slow-cooker in a pressure cooker? Can you convert the cooking times, etc...
>>
>>7212577
No.
>>
>>7212577
In theorie you could but in practice to get the same quality no you can not. It al has to do with the unfolding of proteins inside the meat. Doing it to fast will cause the strings of protein to rip, it will still be tender but it won't be able to keep as much moist making it dry. Slow cooking has a right in it's own and pressure cooking is just the lazy mans version.
>>
>>7212577
>Can you make all the same recipes from a slow-cooker in a pressure cooker? Can you convert the cooking times, etc...

Yes. There is no exact conversion, but roughly speaking:

A pressure set at 15 psi cooker takes approx 1/3 the time compared to a traditional braise (simmering on the stove or in the oven). So if you had a stew recipe that said to simmer it for 3 hours then it would take about 1 hour in the pressure cooker.

A slow cooker on "low" takes roughly twice to three times as long as a traditional stovetop method.
>>
>>7212605
>>7212585
Do prefer one over the other?
>>
>>7212624

I prefer the traditional method (neither the pressure cooker or the slow cooker). The slow cooker takes too long (IMHO). A lot of people like them because you can "set and forget it" but I find that's a bit risky since you can end up overcooking the food and having it turn to mush. As long as I will be checking on the food periodically I'll just do it on the stovetop.

I do own a pressure cooker and I use it often. The one drawback it has, however, is that if you are making a dish that requires you to add different ingredients at different times then that's a pain since you have to let it cool down before you can open it. But if everything can go in at the beginning? Excellent.
>>
>>7212637
Any favorite pressure cooker recipes? I just got one for x mas.
>>
>>7212757

Anything you do for a normal braise/stew. It's just faster. There's no need for a specific or special "pressure cooker recipe".
>>
>>7212757
try a rendang it's perfect for it
>>
>>7213066
Thanks!
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.