[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i tried to make a crock pot chicken/mushroom soup and it turned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 1451309154155.jpg (60 KB, 636x960) Image search: [Google]
1451309154155.jpg
60 KB, 636x960
i tried to make a crock pot chicken/mushroom soup and it turned out like shit. literally tastes like water.

I took a 2 gallon crock pot,

2 chicken halves with skin and bone
lots of sliced raw mushrooms, jalepenos, habanaros, onion, carrot, garlick and green pepper and balanced it with water

I put it on low for 8 hours and then shredded the chicken

what am i missing? why did this taste like water and fat? why can't i cook?
>>
Too much water.
Remember that the chicken itself (even unfrozen) has water in it that comes out while slow cooking.
Next time try half or even a quarter the amount of water.
>>
>>7210684
Never underestimate the browning contribution to flavor, or how reducing adds yumminess.

I don't see salt or peppercorns listed, and no herbs, such as chives, parsley, dill or bay. Herbes du provence even, saffron, lemon, something!

Chicken gets tough cooked that long. I get that you wanted stock or a crock pot meal, but you'll be tweaking it til right.
>>
>>7210684
You probably only needed a splash of water. Chicken has a ton in it already, so do veggies, especially mushrooms.

It pays to brown your meats before you slow cook them, too. More flavor.

Also, did you add any salt or pepper?
>>
You almost never add water to a slow cooker you fucking idiot.
All that shit you put in already has water in it. The chicken, mushrooms have a shit load of water, the vegetables.
Why the fuck would you add water? Are you new?
Jesus fucking Christ guy, come on.
Consider water boarding yourself.
>>
sounds like you over watered it.
>>
>>7210684
Also, why all the jalapeƱos and habaneros?
>>
>>7210700
6 hours on low is usually just right for 3-4 chicken breasts.
>>
>>7210684
Who is this watery semen demen?
>>
>>7210684
>and balanced it with water
next time use stock, wine, or beer. you could also add a splash of fish sauce or soy sauce.
>>
>>7210684
When I make a chicken stock, I put in a couple quartered onions, 3-5 roughly chopped carrots, same amount of celery stalks, a whole bulb of garlic cut in half, a bay leaf or two, and a whole chicken. I add just enough water to cover the chicken. I bring to boil, then simmer until the chicken falls apart and most of the fat renders. Then I strain the stock, discard everything but the chicken meat, chop new vegetables for the soup and season to taste. This is a pretty simple, classic method, so just try to figure out how what you did deviates.
>>
File: grogste.jpg (38 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
grogste.jpg
38 KB, 500x300
>>7210684
you forgot the salt dummy
>>
>>7210831
>a whole chicken
You made broth not stock
>>
>>7210684
ok
first things first
8 hours on low is around 4 hours on high, which means that is way too fucking long for any kind of chicken unless you hunt old fowl in the wild in which case light a fucking fire and stop using crockpots, if you're gonna go neanderthal go the whole way I reckon

Secondly, there is no "balance" with water, you don't "balance" fucking green pepper of all things with water, bite into a raw green pepper, tell me that shit has more flavour than what you want to make and I'll send you to fucking japan so you can worship more of that umami horseshit

Thirdly, you don't use crock pots to make soups. Crockpots are good for braising, not soups. If you want to make a soup, use a stock pot which is capable of somewhat higher temperatures, render all the fat and flavours out from your ingredients into the broth so that it doesn't taste like water.

Lastly, what you WANTED to make was BRAISED chicken, braising being EASILY one of the hardest things to get right even with a stock pot. What you want to do is thicken up your braising liquid (with the ingredients you have there I'd recommend adding a shitload of tomato paste with just enough water so it doesn't clump with the other stuff you have, and some cumin. You look like a white cracker bitch so you must loooove them tomatoes, dumb whore. Also add a bit of fried corned beef if you rwant that kick in the sauce, chicken alone ain't gonna cut it for fat content). In a braised dish, you need to understand the intricacies of the protein you're using - chicken breast is really fine, dry and worthless and I'd recommend replacing "two chicken halves" with "a shitload of chicken thighs, browned then with juices dumped into the stock pot" so that you get A - a tougher protein that can withstand and benefit from braising and B - get some more fat in there which will bleed into your thicker braising liquid (which shouldn't be all water because water alone doesn't taste better from having fat added to it)
>>
>>7211129
I'm gonna disagree, but feel free to school me. A whole chicken present, which includes the bones of an entire chicken, regardless of whether or not meat is present makes it a stock in my book. Additionally, no salt was added until after the liquid was drained, skimmed, and/or separated and further reduction might or might occur at my discretion. Vegetables may be used in stocks. I'm calling garlic a vegetable. The only thing I see in favor of this being considered a broth is the bay leaf. I say it is a stock until I add the meat and new vegetables back into the liquid and season it. Then it becomes soup as I put noodles or whatever in. I have the feeling that stock to you is a very narrow definition, like just bones and water. I do not believe this is a typical perspective now.
>>
>>7211162
>You look like a white cracker bitch so you must loooove them tomatoes, dumb whore
>>
>>7211570
Stock = mostly bones
Broth = mostly meat
>>
>>7211865
Where are you getting that crap from?

Just about every cookbook I've ever consulted on making stock/broth defines stock as the liquid you get from simmering bones/meat/trimmings. It's an ingredient for further use. Broth, on the other hand, is seasoned and ready to serve. In other words if you take stock and then you season it to taste you have now made broth. The ratio of bones/meat isn't a factor at all.

Source:
Jacques Pepin's complete techniques, Modernist Cuisine, and The Professional Chef
>>
>>7211874
[citation needed]
Especially since you consider garlic to be a vegetable.
>>
>>7211881

I already gave you three sources.

And I'm not the garlic guy. That was my first post in the thread; this is my second.
>>
SAAAAAALLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTTT

>en el caso nobody mentioned it yet
>>
>>7211885
A quick Google search proves you wrong. Go ahead and check, every search result says broth = meat and stock = bones.

I can list them if you like. How many do you want to see?
>>
>>7211965
Bullshit.
Eat dick you liar.
>>
>>7211975
I take it you didn't do a google search. So I will sooo feed you some links-
>http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-stock-and-broth-word-of-mouth-71199

>http://m.wisegeek.com/whats-the-difference-between-stock-and-broth.htm

>http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/chicken-stock-vs-chicken-broth.html

>http://altonbrown.com/the-difference-between-stocks-and-broths/

I could go on. Would you like to see more links? I can provide them but I would have to put them in a few replies so the bot doesn't think I'm spam.
>>
Slow cookers do an absolutely shit job at extracting flavor

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/01/ask-the-food-lab-can-i-make-stock-in-a-pressure-cooker-slow-cooker.html
>>
>>7212041
It should be noted that the link provided only addresses making stock and not broth.
>>
>>7211570
Wrong.
>>
>>7212041
>http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/01/ask-the-food-lab-can-i-make-stock-in-a-pressure-cooker-slow-cooker.html

>cooked in a slow cooker on the low temperature setting for 8 hours.

aaaannnndd this is why J. Kenji-Alt-Cuck is garbage.

simmer in a slow cooker is MEDIUM or HIGH, and EVERYBODY knows this. he deliberately nerfed his experiment to get the results he wanted, because he's a pretentious dickhead.

stock in a slow cooker comes out great if you actually use the equipment. Whatta maroon
>>
>>7212280

or better yet, leave it on "low" but for a lot longer than 8 hours.
>>
>>7210684
Don't add water. The chicken and vegetables have enough liquid. You can add some chicken stock.

Add salt. It makes things taste less watery.
>>
>>7212280
This, also you should never listen to a guy who thinks the key to flavor is dumping fish sauce in everything
>>
>>7212280
My slow cooker reaches 170 F on low, that is hot enough to bring it to a simmer.
>>
msg
>>
WHO IS THIS SEMEN DEMON
>>
>>7211881
hey. I'm the garlic guy. Vegetables simmered in water is also considered a stock. They call it vegetable stock. You still haven't changed my mind. I understand there are semantics at play here, and there is a sizable grey area between a quintessential stock and a broth. Do you? Anyway, I think my method is much closer to stock than broth on the stock:broth continuum. Therefore, I call it stock. It's pretty funny how you're digging in on the issue. Can we discuss the classification of garlic, too? That ought to melt your brain since it's a culinary categorization conundrum.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.