[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No matter how shit you think your dinner is tonight, it could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: 1451336468628.jpg (78 KB, 580x710) Image search: [Google]
1451336468628.jpg
78 KB, 580x710
No matter how shit you think your dinner is tonight, it could be worse.
>>
Looks fine to me
>>
Hi, /tv/.
>>
>>7210358
Funfact: She couldn't finish the food budget challenge because she is dumb as fuck.
>>
>>7210358

baka, I could get 3x that amount for food for $29
>>
You can get alot better, calorie dense, food for 29$. That bullshit looks like a vegan picked it out.
>>
>>7210358
A good thing she bought 7 limes, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't have my daily lime
>>
>a single corn cob
>>
How much of that is "organic", " farm to table ", "non gmo" bullshit that cost 3-4 times as much as normal food?
>>
Dummy probably didn't go to different stores for cheap ingredients

>Asian store
Cheap produce

>Franchise store (IE Safeway, Giant, etc)
Name brand prepared foods like tortillas or frozen stuff like peas

>Aldi
Everything else but mostly meat
>>
>>7210384
She needs them for her alcohol.
>>
>>7210404
>Name brand prepared foods like tortillas

Fucking Americunts
>>
>>7210402
A lot of it, otherwise I have no idea how she spent that much. I'm also assuming she bought all this in Manhattan or something?
>>
day 1: rice with beans and peas and an omelette
day 2: rice with beans and peas and scrambled eggs
day 3: rice with beans and peas and fried eggs sunny side up
day 4: rice with beans and peas and poached eggs
day 5: rice with beans and peas and a salad
day 6: rice with beans and peas and kale
day 7: vegetable tacos and a big glass of lime juice
>>
>>7210358
>have to

I know this is bait but people actually believe its the governments job to take care of them. Food stamps is an assistance program not a life time supply.
>>
>>7210421
Why do you hate black people?
>>
>a Hollywood elite worth in excess of $100M lecturing on social media about income inequality
>>
>>7210408
Sorry Mexican friend but I don't know where else to get 12 tortillas for $1 D:
>>
>>7210408
Tortillas are prepared
>>
>>7210426
You make them yourself ese
>>
>>7210427
>name brand
>tortillas
>>
>>7210358
I don't see her donating her millions to us poor black folk. Besides, mama didn't raise no fool but seems her mama did. How the actual fuck do you spend 29 of uncle sam's dollars on such little supplies?
>>
>>7210404
Not to mention that she doesn't even include something like oats that are cheap as fuck, easy to keep stored properly (if you aren't literally retarded and/or living in a box).

I hate this stupid woman, but god damn I'd pound that ass so hard that any trace of Chris Martin would be removed from her.
>>
>>7210432
Mission....
>>
>>7210358
>avocado
>Dry bean but frozen peas
>7 limes
>A single corn cob
>One jalapeƱo pepper
>1 Sweet potato
Holy shit what the fuck are you doing nigress
>>
>>7210439
>white people
>>
>>7210358
Man no matter how many times this is posted I'm still shocked how somebody can spend so much on so little. Is she buying them organic and out of season to make it cost that much?

I mean I'll concede the point that living on 29 bucks a week for a family isn't the most fun thing but it is doable and you can eat surprisingly decently after a few months of buying spices piecemeal if you don't have them already.
>>
Gywneth Paltrow did a very good job in highlighting the hidden challenges of eating well in poverty.

What would be the point of her succeeding the challenge? To make it look easy?
I'm sure this selection of non-ideal foods was deliberate.
>>
File: 1448437733688.jpg (263 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1448437733688.jpg
263 KB, 1500x1500
>>7210358
Tortillas instead of flour?
>>
>>7210471
Bread takes too long to make for poor people
>>
>>7210477
>flat bread
>long to make
Are you literally working 12h a day?
>>
>>7210463
There's a thread going here on /ck/ right now where some guy and his wife + 2 kids get $650/month.
>>
I interpreted this to mean, "Look what SNAP dollars can afford instead of junk food."

That said, she's still wrong. That's not a week's worth of food for a family. Maybe, MAYBE, one person. Definitely not a family, though.

Also...

>posting in a bait thread
>>
>>7210421
yeah, exactly
>>
>>7210481
yes?
>>
File: 200_s.gif (21 KB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
21 KB, 355x200
>>7210482
>>
>>7210425
i hate the hipocrasy

>>7210445
no, she can donate money and pay higher taxes voluntarily

>>7210460
exactly. buying a pantry is hard up front, but once you buy a bottle of cumin, you'll have it for some time. same with oil, salt, etc...
>>
>>7210494
>work 12h a day
>Still too poor to afford more than ebt
Thank god I'll never be this retarded
>>
>>7210471
>>7210477
>>7210481
I had some anxiety the first time I made tortillas. Luckily, my life didn't depend on it. It was just something I was doing for fun. They were terrible, but improved with time.

Now imagine how someone might feel buying flour and not knowing if they can even make something edible. Or it taking several iterations until they finally nail it. And, by the way, that's a few dollars you could have spent on something ready to eat like a loaf of white bread.

That said, I have no sympathy for nignogs. They should teach their children how to be successful in life.
>>
>>7210506
Flour isn't expensive nig
>>
>>7210502
r-rent is a killer

2k for muh family D:
>>
>>7210415
unless you had multiple bags of rice, you'd only last maybe about 3 days
I mean, assuming you're not going to only eat 1 meal a day
>>
>>7210506
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+make+tortillas
>>
>>7210510
Maybe in jew York
>>
>>7210506
Who is going to teach them? Their non-existent father or their mother who choose such a guy?
>>
I see 10 bux at most. The fuck this bitch lying for?

>piles of cilantro, lime, and scallions

Good god are they mexican enough? One tomato, seven fucking limes. Seven.

Replace the limes with a sack of potatoes, the corn and scallions with a cannister of oatz, and the cilantro and one fucking yam with bananas. Done. You're welcome, dumbshit.

>>7210510

Where do you live, faggot, san francisco?
>>
>>7210528
www.youtube.com
www.google.com
Local Library book on cooking.

Or should the government go ahead and start handing out pamplets on how to fucking cook?
>>
>>7210545
That would probably be beneficial, yes
>>
>>7210358
>7 limes
>Kale
>Two different types of onions
>A single cob of corn
>1 tomato
>1 sweet potato (?)

Dis bitch retarded tbhfam
>>
>>7210554
Hmm, maybe there should also be a state ran agriculture systems set in place as well, wouldn't that be cheaper on the tax payer then the current taxation/SNAP system set in place?
>>
>>7210525
Nah MD brah
>>
>>7210567
It could be made even more efficient with governmental central planning.
>>
>>7210545
T.BH they do something like that with WIC
>>
Most poor people are fucking stupid, how do you think they got there in the first place?

They're that stupid that they don't know how to cook, so of course they're going to waste their money on stupid shit like 7 limes
>>
>>7210617
This desu.
>>
>>7210617
>waste their money on stupid shit like 7 limes
But Paltrow is rich and most poor people buy ramen noodles and other such unhealthy (but cost effective) food.
>>
>>7210448
>not being white
you can't even hurt my feelings man, thats how much better white life is. post whatever gay shit you want, won't change the fact that I was born into the worlds best fraternity.
>>
Can't make daiquiris without limes, my friends!
>>
>>7210623

I don't know where you are from, however in Australia I can buy a big bag of rice for $10 that provides enough rice for about half a year with 3 meals per day. What is left over with the money would go to beans, bulk spices and vegetables.
>>
>>7210358
Limes are usually 7/$1, so that's probably why 7 limes. Still better uses for that $1 though.
Also
>not buying rice/beans/eggs/sweet potatoes in bulk
>>
>>7210429
Why did the Mexican-American high school student get pregnant?

Her teacher told her to go home an do an essay.
>>
File: huh...jpg (7 KB, 185x231) Image search: [Google]
huh...jpg
7 KB, 185x231
Looks pretty great to me for a week.
You can make a really kickass stew with those veggies and beans, and you've got the eggs and rice to fill in the gaps and use up any veg you've got left over.

I'm sure it'd suck for families who eat out or have steak for dinner every night, but its enough to feed you if you aren't a glutton, or completley retarded with your money.
>>
>>7210691
Top jej
>>
>>7210445
>As much as she is obviously out of touch with how to shop for groceries on a budget, that's almost always a retarded argument.

Agreed on both points.

>>7210500
no, she can donate money and pay higher taxes voluntarily

People love to bring this up, but even a very rich person donating most of their money (and that's assuming the majority of her net worth is liquid, which it usually isn't) would make a small dent compared to an actual nationwide change in how these problems are dealt with, whether it be through increased efficiency, different ways or amounts of funding, make-work programs (like fixing roads and bridges, which is needed anyway and construction jobs were hit very hard in the recession), or whatever.

A huge blow to someone's accrued wealth and a smaller overall impact vs. a lot of people paying more from what they have coming in with a much larger overall change. Is not hard to see which one someone would push?
>>
>>7210421
What about the disabled?

>>7210358
I just had a nice, homemade mushroom risotto about twenty minutes ago. I thought it was quite good. Far from being a shit dinner. And it cost me about... $1.10 or so to make because I'm not retarded and know how to cook and shop.

>>7210567
>cheaper
SNAP costs about 10Ā¢ per person per day. If the taxation for SNAP bothers you, just walk around half the day scanning the ground for coins. When you find yourself a dime, you've recovered all those taxes you lost paying for SNAP. However! You should worry more about government subsidies to privately-owned public transportation companies (yes, these are a thing). The gubmint gives money to privately-owned public transportation all over the US, the largest of which is Amtrak, and this costs taxpayers over ten times more than SNAP does. And that money? We don't know how it's spent! Because those public transportation companies are privately owned, they never have to show us their books, which is really odd to me. If you take tax-payers' money to operate, you ought to show me your fucking books when I ask for them. Goddamn, public transportation in America pisses me off.
>>
>>7210750
On the contrary, I think Mark Zuckerbergsteinblatt should give up all of his ill-gotten shekels
>>
>>7210743
>public transportation
More like the lack thereof.
It'd be fucking amazing if america got its shit together and decided that having dedicated passenger trains/monorails to link together major cities was a better idea than just making more roads and congestion.
>muh crops
>muh land
Fuck you, farmer joe. I'd rather have a rail that lets me travel from Indy to Chicago and back in a day than worry about your fucking corn.
>>
>>7210743
That is $36 per year likely going to people who don't need it but think they're entitled to it and work the system for it, or people who think it should cover their entire food budget, and vote accordingly. By the way, it could cover an entire food budget, but you would have to be smart about it. I would much rather give another $36 per year to another charity of my choice, or use it like I do the rest of my disposable income and grow it, which will likely be given away in the end, anyway. I don't like subsidies, either.
>>
>>7210787
america is too fucking big for something on par with europes public transit system.

the one are of america it would work is maybe the north east but we have cheap cars, gas and for now passable infrastructure so we don't need massive public transit so why invest now.
>>
>>7210787
>american public transportation is shit
I know! That's /exactly/ my point! Taxpayers collectively spend well over $120 billion (that's right, with a B) annually on public transportation subsidies that we can neither track/read up on where it's being spent ourselves nor petition our congresspeople to do it on our behalf yet we can't get a half-decent system going? The fuck? AND!! We can't start competing companies, either! I know, because I actually tried to start a local one in my area to go against my city's public transportation company, but was advised that it would be illegal and be subject to numerous fines.
So yeah, public transportation companies are legal monopolies, all set with an unbreakable mandate. That's the biggest reason they fucking suck so bad. Without the fear of losing neither subsidies nor customers, what reason would they have to run efficiently? None, that's what.
They can run like shit because they have no competition and you, therefore, have no alternative. It's. Fucking. Bullshit.
>>
>>7210410
It's not that food in Manhattan is so much more expensive than other places, it's pretty much the same, but the taxes are pretty fucked up. Gotta pay for those syrian and other "immigrants" and illegals.
>>
>>7210851
It's not that the USA is too big, it's that land purchases to do it are crazy expensive. Even if emininent domain used it's still crazy expensive and will be in courts for a decades, and that's an expense of it's own. Longer than any political's term of office so they have no interest in doing it.
>>
Why would you buy kale and limes and cilantro and shit if you're poor?

Gwenyth Paltrow even gave up on the "pretend to be poor" challenge after 3 days
>>
Once a train path is known for instance, and this is history, then speculators will buy up that land jacking up the price to whoever wants to build.
>>
>>7210938
>Gotta pay for those syrian and other "immigrants" and illegals.
California has more illegals and it manages to be cheaper. Probably because of the illegals.

But yes, I think the combined effect of her shopping in a Whole Foods (or something similar) in Manhattan raised the cost a bit.
>>
Then of course there's the "environmental impact" studies which the filthy hippies will show would hurt some fucking slug or someshit. Additional expense.
>>
>>7210977
Cheaper than what?
No, it's the most expensive state in the union.
>>
>>7210966
Cilantro costs like 75 cents and goes a long way. Those limes probably totaled like $3.
>>
>>7210576
Sup PGC bro.
>>
>>7210977
One can cook the books to equalize upstate NY with NYC but that really is cooking the books, kind of like "no child left behind" which is seriously cooking the books to promote niggers. Trust me I ran their databases for a time.
>>
>>7210358
foraged herbs and veggies
hunted animals
>$0

also what happened to fucking growing your own shit
not saying you need to run a farm but grow some fucking herbs, shits easy and saves you good money. Growing a few chive plants off a bunch I found growing in the wild was one of the best planting moves I made, shits lasted me 10+ years with no real work other than nipping the flower buds
>>
>>7211002
Do you forge your own weapons for the hunt or do you just bash the things in with tree trunks?
>>
Whats funny is that is a decent amount of food for 29 dollars...considering the rice and beans have many servings in them...also why is someone on snap buying avacados limes and tortillas lol..You can get a like half a months-months of dried beans/ lentils for 29 dollars and each pack has many servings.
>>
>>7211014
But who wants to eat that day in and day out every day for months?
>>
>>7211010
snares are a man's best friend
>>
>>7211017
>so poor other people have to buy your food for you
>being picky

If you want better food get a job. Welfare is to prevent you from dying in the streets, not to make you comfy.
>>
SNAP is meant to be an ASSISTANCE program, not free food for life.
>>
>>7211017
1st off you can get all kinds of lentils, all kinds of beans..etc etc...each pack has pplenty servings..getting it for a week shouldn't make a diff...also rice....then get some bread, pb j for lunch...for breakfast get a carton of eggs...there WILL be money left over.
>but..but..but...i dont wannnna eat beans and rice i WANT..I NEEEEED MCFATTIES DOUBLE BIGMACS 4 DAYS A WEEK TO SURVIVE GOVMENT..HALP ME
>>
>>7211026
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that unless you're some convict from Australia or something then there's no reason to have to eat rice and beans every fuckin' day.

>>7211024
True
>>
>>7211038
You're arguing with the wrong anon.
Before pushing your agenda you might want to learn how to follow a thread.
>>
>>7211047
>Implying eating healthy foods is a punishment
>>
>>7211057
>implying eating rice and beans every day is healthy
>>
This is completely misleading. You get a lot more than $29 a week. The only way you would get that little amount is if you have a minimum wage job working 30+ hours a week.
>>
>>7211060
nobody said eat it everyday... they can buy a variety of things at the supermarket..all uncooked obviously . 26 a week is plenty for a family if everyone actually eats the right portions.
>>
>>7211069
Not everyone is a poor fuck or has to eat rice and beans all the time. Get over it and get over your agenda.
>>
>>7211069
>26 a week is plenty for a family
not really. maybe if they're all midgets who aren't physically active.
>>
>>7211069
No "family" gets $26 a week.

Also a "family" should have at least one working adult. If not, then how the fuck are they even alive?
>>
File: troll.jpg (217 KB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
troll.jpg
217 KB, 1600x800
>>7211069
Fuckin' troll
>>
>>7211074
What agenda.You keep talking about an agenda yet you cant prove a point. What are you trying to say? What do you want to get across...Rice and beans are widely known as a cheap food to sustain oneself..YES! you are right..not everyone has to eat rice and beans everyday...but unfortunately some do!...If you aren't going to contribute just go shitpost elsewhere
>>
>>7210438
/thread
>>
Also...snap is to help balance the cost of food..not pay for all of it...its just small sum so the recipient will have a bit more.
>>
>>7211086
Your agenda of rice and beans. Fact is that nobody in the USA has to live off of $26/week especially for a family. You've been watching too many sally struthers commercials.

You really come across as a blithering moron.
>>
>>7211086
You're underlying agenda is that we should all eat soylent green wafers?
>>
>>7211094
What the hell do you not understand about what snap is...29 is not ALL they have to spend on food.
they RECEIVE 29 ADDITIONAL dollars to buy food with money they have...I dont understand why everyone keeps saying just 29 a week for food...what!!!
>>
>>7211101
Again, you're arguing with the wrong anon. Get your fucking thread shit straight you idiot.
>>
>>7211099
man idk about soylent green wafers but I really want taco bell...29 $ of it.
>>
>>7211106
Get the mega box or whatever it's called.
>>
>>7211107
I would have to donate some of the tacos. Far to much for me.
>>
File: 1429104483822.jpg (31 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
1429104483822.jpg
31 KB, 456x320
>limes are $30/kg here
>>
>>7211115
Do you live on the moon?
>>
>>7211119
new zealand
may as well be
>>
>>7211122
In theory one would always be touching themselves
>>
>>7210851
It's not just national transportation, Anon. Even local transportation is paid for with tax money, is made up of private companies whose records are not available to the public and who are invariably complete and utter shit. I've lived in a number of US cities and travel extensively through several others and have grown intimately familiar with many different public transport companies and systems from the New York MTA to Houston's, from Marta to Bart to CTA, Dart and Septa. I'm familiar with a bunch of them. And know what? None of them run well. They're all fucking horrible.

>>7210794
How do you know they don't need it or that they feel entitled to it? I actually know the opposite to be true because of volunteer time I've spent a do-gooder group who signs people up for foodstamps and provides free advocacy for those arguing with their local CAO about their foodstamp eligibility: the vast, vast VAST majority of people who are on SNAP longterm are the disabled and the elderly. Le-A ("it's 'Le-dash-Ay.' the dash don't be silent") and her brood of crotchfruits abusing the system aren't anywhere near as common as you think they are. And while you may think that's just because I'm dealing with people who don't know how to scam the system to their advantage, nope! I help people who have been on SNAP for ages but get a recent cut in their benefits for some reason or another. I provide them resources and information on other advocacy groups who may be able to help them argue their case against the CAO, so I really deal with people from all walks of life. Trust me: it's mostly the elderly and the disabled.

And you know what else ironically costs more for taxpayers than SNAP? Tax forgiveness and housing subsidy deals for middle class Americans. And guess what else? Those things actually /do/ get abused to fuck and back unlike the measly $195 monthly maximum people on SNAP may receive.
>>
a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage
>>
>>7210426
A 3 dollar bag of masa and a pair of hands for 5 times as many.
I'm white and know this.
>>
>>7210448
Not all of us bro, i'm right there with you laughing at them.
>>
>>7210510
Move lunkhead.
>>
>>7210615
>the joke
>>
>>7210663
It is the same way in america.
We just have ads being sprayed into the heads of our idiot poor people who then go and buy the most expensive frozen food and other garbage they can afford.

Food stamps is just another way for government to pay off corporations.

Good food is really cheap.
I just made a pot of soup that will feed me for 4 days and it cost me less than a dollar.
>>
>>7210463
Yeah. "waaah waah dumb cunt couldn't figure out how to eat nothing but beans all the time until she dies", but the point is that being poor is terrible and maybe poor people deserve a little better than what they get.
>>
>>7211259
If the government truly cared about the diet of the poor they would not let them buy:

anything that has advertising for it.
anything containing HFCS
anything that's frozen pre-prepared like tv dinners and hotpockets.
Pretty much anything made by conagra
>>
>>7211244
>I just made a pot of soup that will feed me for 4 days and it cost me less than a dollar.

Recipe?
>>
>>7211126

>not growing your own

i used to live in nz, we had a lime, orange, two lemon, tangerine, fejoa, and tamarind tree.
>>
So, what would you buy /ck/? I'm curious as money is gonna be tight for me. Want some meat though.
>>
>>7210990
Limes cost 50Ā¢ apiece where I live, so yeah it'd be $3.50. But still, if you only have 29 bucks for a week's food, should you be spending over 10% of it on limes?
>>
>>7211272
>can't buy anything with HFCS

So can't buy nothing?
>>
>>7210358
Shit SNAP pays a family of four way more than 29 bucks.

Also food stamps are supposed to be shitty, not a long term fucking solution to your food problem. Take your kids to a soup kitchen for every meal and go the fuck back to work.
>>
File: 1450201997470.gif (3 MB, 283x204) Image search: [Google]
1450201997470.gif
3 MB, 283x204
>>7212117
>mfw limes are 6 for $1 at my place
>>
>>7211934
>we

So I take it that YOU had nothing to do with the fact that there were those trees on the land you used to live on. Dont pretend like you get credit for something your parents did. And where is your lime tree at your current residence? Nowhere. Thats fucking where.
>>
>>7210423
They murder, rape, and steal at 2x the rate of wetbacks and 5x the rate of real human beings?
>>
>>7212114
goin chinese. cheap ground pork, rice and spices. maybe some cheap veggies too, but if you have to, it'd only cost about $30/month.
>>
>>7212131
Still a ripoff. I live by Mexico. I get 20 limes for $1.
>>
>>7211047
>no reason
The reason is because you're fucking poor, half-retarded, and have exactly zero marketable skills.

So unless you're black and can play childrens ball-games, you better save your goddamned money to move to a place where you can work a better, higher paying job.
>>
>>7212142
Thanks man, I'll hit up the Asian market next shopping period
>>
>>7210358
GAH, not reading any of this thread, but godalmighty is Gwyneth Paltrow's post infuriatingly idiotic. Fucking imported limes, leafy green everything - basically all the veggies that can go bad within a couple days, so they cost a 1000% more (by weight) than root vegetables that can last for weeks even without refrigeration.

Like I'm getting ten pound bags of potatoes for $4 lately, or $0.40 per pound, while fresh cilantro is $3 a bunch, or (assuming a bunch is 3 ounces) $48.00/pound.

If bitches on SNAP were as fucktarded as Gwyneth, they'd definitely be starving after a couple days.
>>
>>7210448
>cucks
>>
>>7211259
>deserve
How so?
What does the average person "deserve" and why?
>>
>>7212135

Anyone can plant a tree, its not hard, and I dont have citrus trees as I moved to the UK and dont have a garden big enough for trees of any kind, you cunt.
>>
>>7212295
So when you say
>not growing your own
That actually includes yourself.

You fucking idiot.
>>
>>7211840
Not him. But kale/white bean/sausage soup is incredibly cheap and delicious.
>>
>>7210358
that's like $10 max

>>7212281
hahaha epic meme word /b/ro! lelele xD
>>
>>7211152
Because of the attitudes in this thread and every single fucking time people bring it up. Even the main 'awareness' (i.e. Propaganda) bullshit about it is dependent on the assumption that the program is supposed to cover an entire food budget to begin with. IT NEVER WAS SUPPOSED TO. But leftist shitheads get their hands on any 'free money', it is never enough. Many people, possibly even yourself included, given you incessant shilling with misinformation on this board, exist to advise people on how to work the system in ways that it was never intended to function.
>>
$29 a week for an entire family?

My bro is a single dad with 3 kids and he gets like $200 a week. He buys ribeyes and prawns and shit.

He's not even poor.
>>
>>7210358
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne4PM8BgYCI
looks like qwneth needs to watch ghetto gourmet
>>
>>7212124
It was never intended to be a long term solution to anything. The intent was a short term solution so people don't starve, during that time they get jobs and make their own money.
>>
>>7212279
What's a Gwyneth and why can't it spell it's name properly?
>>
>>7212482
> Scrooge detected!
>>
>>7210358
>Canada
>Go to Safeway
>broccoli is currently $4 a pound

Fuck those faggots
>>
>>7213016
>Go to Safeway

Well THERE'S your problem!
>>
>>7212639
>"i want the elderly and disabled to die of starvation!"
That's not very nice.
>>
Okay so $29

> 2 bars of $1 chooclate because fuck you - $2
> 4 dozen eggs for $2 (At dollar tree near expiration they are 25cents each)
> 3 bags frozen peas - $3
> 3 bags frozen green beans - $3
> bag of rice -$1
>4 bags frozen fruits -$4
> flour, sugar - $2
> 2 small rolls sausage -$2
> 2 boxes whole milk -$2
> 6 bags assorted beans -$6
> pasta and a jar of sauce -$2

Thanks for the bounty, dollar tree, but please pay me more. $8.25 would be nice. Also i get $200 a month for Snap and that is all I have for food money which is fine for just me.
>>
>>7210543
>10 bux at most
don't exaggerate. Write out your thoughts on what things in that image cost
>>
>>7213412
Not him, but I just estimated how much it'd cost me to buy those items: about $16. $2 each for the eggs and lettuce. $1.50 for the beans. $1 each for the cilantro, the limes, the peas, the rice, the avocado, the scallions, the kale and the tortillas. 50Ā¢ each for the corn, onion and yam. 25Ā¢ each for the garlic, the tomato and the chilli.
>>
>>7213407
>4 dozen eggs for $2
>25 cents each
>>
>>7213481
Europeon math
>>
>>7210358

>tfw get $950 a month in food stamps.
>>
>>7212294
>I just entered high school and the concept that people should have to always work all the time just to survive is deeply compelling to me
>>
>>7213551
What are your staples? What foods do you normally purchase every week?
>>
>>7212151
Thats a ripoff. I live in [insert shitty 3rd world hispanic country here]. I get 50 limes for $1
>>
>>7213712
I'm 33 and capable of feeding myself. I know some people are not and I don't want them to starve.
When I throw a bum on the street some change it's because I feel like it; not because he has some Godgiven right to my money.
"Deserve" implies they earned it somehow.
Instead of just flinging childish insults you might try to answer my question.
What do people deserve, and why?
>>
>>7213724
Steak, lobster tail, caviar, lamb, king crab.
>>
File: 2012-12-22_21-21-58_920.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
2012-12-22_21-21-58_920.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>
>>7212138
Those facts are racist. Please delete your post
>>
>>7210383
>looks like a vegan picked it out
>full carton of eggs
You should look up what vegan is

Anyway, she completely fucked uo buy buying anything fresh besides the garlic. Frozen fruits/veggies are essential when you're poor
>>
>7 limes
>>
>>7210384
Underrated post
>>
>>7215240
Well that's nice.
>>
>>7210358
>limes

very essential
>>
Well, she's a hollywood woman, so I guess she eats roughly in the same manner as an angsty teenage valley girl. As such, if we pretend a family consists of 4 similar portions for each meal a day, then what is imaged there is more than enough to feed a Quadra-Paltrow for a week.
>>
>>7211232
>"lol I hope Jamal acknowledges me ~uguu"
>>
>>7210358
I'm in college and I spend under 80 a week on groceries
>>
>>7210415
>a big glass of lime juice
well done.
>>
A bag of russet potatoes is 89 cents.
>>
>>7210617
More like things like veggies and certain meats can get fucking expensive, especially when you can just get a ton of ramen noodles for 2 bucks.
>>
>>7217976
how much under 80?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSg6lwIItU

this guy did it and it seemed pretty good
>>
>>7215240
Where I live you can't get energy drinks on SNAP although you can get soda.
>>
>son is born
>wife takes 3 months, i take a month because I can
>waiting for TDI
>decide to apply for SNAP for shits and giggles
>we actually make it and get it for two months (since our TDI went through after the deadline so we got an extra month)
>465 a month for what is essentially a two person household
>we break our backs getting extra shit to freeze so we can spend it all
>families with more kids get way more than what we got

Cry me a fucking river. Some people who get food assistance get close to a grand. And they don't buy fresh produce. They buy Kool aid and frozen garbage for their kids and spend the rest of steak and shrimp.
>>
>>7218237
I worked in a grocery store. Can't use SNAP to get energy drinks, warm prepared food, and non-food items.
>>
>>7218174
Where do you live, Idaho? Not every place has the same price for the same stuff.
>>
>>7218273
Yeah, that's the same up here in RI, although some of the shadier stores may look the other way, or at least they did when I was a kid.
My own family's been on SNAP forever but my mom has a garden in our tiny backyard and we always have a shitton of tomatillos and cilantro and stuff.
>>
>>7214593
>I don't want my taxes to feed other people because it's wasteful
>surely this alcoholic/drug addict/psychotic/a combination of the above is a good use for my money.
>I do not know that social programs make up an absurdly tiny fraction of my taxes and most of my taxed income goes to the military industrial complex or lining lobbyist pockets
>but it's Jamal's fault I pay taxes

You didn't finish high school, did you?
>>
>>7213764
this is still a lime-off. i came to mexico and got 100 rips for 'bout $3.50
>>
>>7218320
Funny I'm RI.

I was at a Stop and Shop, the machines would just deduct the eligible items and the people would be left with a balance of shit that wasn't covered.
>>
>>7210435
she probably went to some overpriced rich white folk store, walked up to the cashier "so like I got this much money in stamps go get me some stuff quick, I have to go see my agent.. go on, git!"
>>
>>7218338
You aren't employed are you?
>>
>>7218273
I have a dindu friend and he gets redbull on food stamps all the time. Tells me because it states nutritional and not supplemental on the can he can get them.

He also get those hunt brothers pizza cause they be frozen when purchased and the cashier is just cooking it for him no charge
>>
>>7210521

Wal Mart sells 20 lb bags of rice for $9, that would last much longer than 3 days. $8 buys 8 lb of beans to go with the rice. Get some frozen fruit/veggies to supplement that and you're set.
>>
>>7210358
If she went to el tapatio mart or a mexican grocer those produce would be pennies. I guarantee she made it expensive. Plus $29 dollars is for a single person.
>>
>>7210358
isn't the first word in SNAP supplemental?
>>
>>7210384
Thank you for the laugh
>>
>>7210617
This desu. Smart people who start poor don't stay poor unless they are disabled or have a lot of dependants.
>>
>>7218377
>he would rather spend a shit load of taxes on bombs that effectively serve as ISIS recruitment than feed hungry families

Dis nigga wilin'
>>
>>7219225
Why should I or anyone have to feed a strung out junkie who's abusing the welfare system?
>>
>>7219251
I don't. I think anyone receiving federal assistance should be drug tested, including college students on federal student aid.

A lot more of my taxes go towards military spending and beefing up Israel. If I'm gonna be mad about taxes, it's going to be that, not Travonius getting some foodstamps.

>47 million on a non functioning robot the Marines didn't even want
>billions every year to Israel
>billions spent on a laser beam to fight guys with weaponry 30 years outdated

The amount of waste in military spending makes FDR look like Ron Paul. Food stamps WISH they could suck up that much money.
>>
>>7219434
idk where you live but over here if you take more than 4 units you cant get any sort of snap benefits. They believe and I quote, "If you can afford to go to school, you can afford to eat". Dumbest shit ever. God forbid someone attempting to be useful in society can eat as opposed to drugie family X getting totinos for a week with blow.
>>
>>7219434
It's all welfare to me.
>muh free monies for defense contractors
>muh free monies for private military contractors
>muh free monies for fly by night governments we support in derka-stan
>>
>>7219456
I meant as far as federal student aid with loans or grants and shit like that.

It is kind of asinine to not let people keep foodstamps if they're going to school...and that's kind of the issue with welfare all together; politicians want to get people out of poverty but if you try to get off welfare, the system punishes you by putting you in a shittier position.

No one working or attending school should be worse off than a welfare recipient. But in this country, you are often punished for working by losing benefits.
>>
>>7210663
>half a year

I take it you don't eat much rice.
>>
>>7219434
That would just cost tax payers more in the long run. What needs to be done is snap recipients should receive a supply of vegetable seeds and chickens. Teach those free loaders then importance of harvesting their own crop and slaughtering their own animals.
>>
Dinner tonight is ground pork enchiladas with gluten-free irish soda bread.

I'm on food stamps and I try not to think about how much the spices in the enchiladas or the xanthan gum/garbanzo bean flour cost for the gluten free bread. I wish that I could get an additional stipend to cover the cost of gluten free foods, atm i just beg my family for money every 6 months so I can buy 50 lbs of flour. Shit sucks. It was hard enough managing to cook healthy, varied foods without dietary restrictions.
>>
>>7219500
You can use food stamps to buy live animals (at asian grocers at least) and I buy seeds every year with my food stamps. This is already in place.

Btw, not sure where I'd be able to keep the chickens in my apartment, but it's a nice thought.
>>
>>7219476
You are correct. It is a broken system. And if you lie about being a student, you can be imprisoned for five years.
>>
File: P4b8XNg[1].jpg (130 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
P4b8XNg[1].jpg
130 KB, 960x960
That's funny, caus when I go to the Supermarket every week I always see the poor niggers familes with a wheeled shopping cart packed to the fucking brim with shit (including sodas, pastries, chips, and cereal) pulling out their Food Stamps card to pay for the shit while I always have just a small handful of items that don't even fill 1/3 of the hand cart with shit I'll eat for a week.

>TFW co-worker cheats the system by having a girlfriend who "doesn't know where the dad went" to get welfare while he brings home a big check biweekly but doesn't need to spend a fucking dime on it to pay for housing, food, or basic bills
>>
>>7210358
Not fucking kidding, I used to buy a month's worth of food when I lived alone and was dieting (which is normal and even over eating for a regular person). I can't tell if she's for or against food stamps though?
>>
>>7210663
I did the math and what you're stating is impossible.

The largest bag of rice commonly sold at grocers is 50lbs. 10 dollars would be a ridiculously low cost for this much rice, but let's roll with it.

50 lbs of rice = about 100 lbs of cooked rice. Assuming you eat 1 cup at a time, 100 lbs of rice is 192 cups, approximately. 192/3 cups per day is 64, or approximately 2 months of rice in a 50 lb bag.

Commonly, in my state, you could buy a 25 lb bag of rice for around 10 dollars, and this would be considered a fair deal. So about 1 month of rice three times a day for 10 dollars.
>>
>>7219527
You can report that if you like, food stamp amount is calculated on household income. He's supposed to report both his income and hers in the calculation. He is technically violating the law.
>>
>>7210482
Umm I know a single female with 4 small children that gets $800 a month. Her kids are skinny too so they don't eat much. But she's the type of person that will go through all possible hoops to get maximum benefits. There are just people like that in the world ruining it for everyone else.
>>
File: 1448014148730.jpg (191 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448014148730.jpg
191 KB, 500x500
>>7219546
I know I could, but I'm not so much of a dick that I'd do that to my coworker even if I'm a little pissed at him cheating through life. Plus, I'd rather not have tension if he finds out that I'm the one who reported him.

The sucky thing is that he has so much disposable income and even cheats the system at work to have an obscene amount of FMLA accumulated so only works 4 days a week without having to worry about the missing day of pay.
>>
>>7219553
Some people just find the easiest way to live and do that. You can't really blame him for it, I guess. Just was mentioning it in case you have a big problem with it.
>>
>>7219553
I'd that bastard's life over, idgaf. You're a doormat.
>>
>>7219434
> with 30 year outdated tech
Neverheldagun detected
A rifle is a rifle
I'd rather pay taxes for a strong military than for fucks to abuse welfare
And I'm fucking French
>>
File: irish soda bread.jpg (192 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
irish soda bread.jpg
192 KB, 1280x720
>>7219507
I think this is about as good as you could hope for a gluten-free version of irish soda bread to look.
>>
File: 1446865612227.jpg (18 KB, 250x267) Image search: [Google]
1446865612227.jpg
18 KB, 250x267
>>7210358
>Limes
>>
>>7219507
>gluten-free
you have celiac's right? you aren't just a dumbass?
>>
>>7219507
What kind of gluten-free flour are you buying?

https://nuts.com/wholesale/cookingbaking/gluten-free-flour/
>>
>>7210358
Bitch paid $5 for that avocado
>>
>>7219546
>foodstamps are calculated on household income.
Yes and no.
I'm >>7211152

If he and his girlfriend have separate bank accounts/don't pool their money beyond housing costs, they can be considered roommates. In your scenario, anyone living with roommates would be ineligible for foodstamps which is simply not true.

I know a pair of disabled people who live together. I helped one get foodstamps.

Both have brain damage. One used to be an up-and-coming comedian, actually living off his gigmoney until one night after he thoroghly destroyed a heckler, he was beaten half-to-death by the guy and is now incapable of doing much in the way of gainful employment, never mind comedy. The other is a vet.

The vet gets quite a lot of money, certainly more than I earn and I'm a goddamned professor while the former comedian, because his unfortunate incident happened to him at such a young age, didn't acrue enough work credits to qualify for a proper disability income. Additionally, because he was over 25 when it happened, his parents' work credits can't be calculated by social security for additional disability money. As such, he only gets SSI, which pays him like... $700 monthly, I think.
If the total household income was considered, because the vet gets around $40k annually (after taxes) from pension stuff, the former comedian would be ineligible for foodstamps, but that's not the case. I helped him get them.
>>
>>7213481
>>7213511
they come in packs of six.....
>>
>>7210358
That's very racist. It obviously what she imagines beaners would buy if they were rich vegans (>eggs I know).

Nobody who is poor bus so many leafy greens.
>>
>>7210358
>rice
>beans
>limes
>cillantro
>corn
>avocado
>mini tortilla

AYE CARAMBA
EL ESA RACISTO
AAYYYYYYYY
LMAO
>>
>>7210358
>seven fucking limes
>>
>>7210358
Stupid example to provide. I can buy fruit, but I'll only buy limes.
>>
Let's assume y'ain't got shit in the house to eat at all. Not even ketchup packets leftover by a previous tennant. Here's how to feed a family of four on Gwyneth's $29.00/wk limit:
20lbs rice . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $7.99 = 100 servings
4lbs beans . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$3.49 = 32 servings
500ml olive oil . . . . . . . . . . . . . $2.99 = 32 servings
3lbs onion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1.49 = 24 servings
56 oz (2 tins) tomato . . . . . . . $1.98 = 8 servings
28oz mexican pasta . . . . . . . . $1.00 = 10 servings
5 heads of garlic . . . . . . . . . . . $0.99 = 50 servings
on-sale coffee . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1.99 = 25 servings
1 gallon milk . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3.99 = 16 servings
2lbs sugar . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1.00 = 126 servings
2 $1 grab-bags of veg . . . . . . .$2.00 = 8 servings

Assuming 1 serving per person of rice at breakfast as rice pudding and another at lunch or dinner as beans and rice, 20lbs of rice will feed a family of four for nearly 2 weeks (12Ā½ days).
Assuming 1 serving per person of beans as rice and beans, 4lbs of beans will feed a family of four for a little over a week (8 days).
So that's already breakfast and lunch meals for a week taken care of.
With the remaining ingredients, there's plenty to squeeze out another 28 meals to feed a family of four for a week.

Repeat the same for week 2, less the garlic, the coffee and the sugar. That's $3.98 that can be spent on some other ingredients or meat or something. Week 3, you won't have to buy rice (after the end of week 2, there will be enough rice remaining to cover an additional week plus four more days on top of that), sugar or garlic, so that's $9.98 out of the food budget that can be spent on other things, as well.
It's hardly impossible to feed a family of four if you shop like an immigrant and not like some Hollywood cunt.
>tfw you shop like an immigrant because you are an immigrant
>>
>>7223604
This makes me wonder...why not make a food list instead of food stamps?

Like, you go to a grocery store, tell them you need food and you're on SNAP and how many family members you have.

Instead of picking and choosing what you want to eat, the grocery store gives you something like what anon posted here. Add in a basic cookbook and you're set.

Seems like the problem isn't SNAP, but the abuse thereof. So why not close the loophole and say "we'll feed you, but if it's free, it's Uncle Sam's choice"?
>>
File: 1450229423133.jpg (61 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1450229423133.jpg
61 KB, 500x375
>>7210358
>having kids you can't afford
>expecting me to be sympathetic
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (763 KB, 1195x1035) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
763 KB, 1195x1035
>>
>>7223720
Holy fuck this is literally retarded

Where the fuck are you gonna get

1 egg, a handful of peanuts, a 37 cent whole chicken and all the numerous bullshit

Fuck off nigger
>>
>>7223733
dude
>>
>>7223733
>can't even cook
This is why you're poor
Why are you on the internet if you're poor? I bet you have one of the newfangled smartphones too.
>>
>>7223720
of all the things to cost way too much on that list, 5.75 for cucumber?
>>
>>7223733
>2016
>not hatching your own chicken eggs
>>
>>7223720
This list is more than a bit misrepresented given that all these things have to be bought in larger portions
>>
File: lol-you-got-trolled[1].png (218 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
lol-you-got-trolled[1].png
218 KB, 600x700
>>7223733
>>7223749
>>7223755
pls stop, my children
>>
>>7223758
Reddit can you please leave. Your shitty sense of humor isn't really wanted here.
>>
>>7210966
>kale
>not for poor people

You must be fucking joking, kale is THE definition of a poor man's meal. It costs like nothing, because noone ever buys it. The only reason it became a "thing" is because stupid people like ol' Gwyn here made it into a memefood.
>>
>>7224033
Yeah also limes only became expensive in the last couple of years and the price is going back down.

The guy you replied to is obviously a teen, though.
>>
>>7218266
kool aid packets are 35cents for 2 quarts worth in liquid here..... too bad ONLY 1 GOD DAMNED STORE IN THE CITY CARRIES THEM, i miss my childhood
>>
>>7223720
lol
>saffron threads 0.03
discarded.
>>
>>7224132
go to a dollar general if they are in the area.
flavor aid my nigga.
>>
>>7224033
>lobster
>not for poor people

You must be fucking joking, lobster is THE definition of a poor man's meal. It costs like nothing, because noone ever buys it. The only reason it became a "thing" is because stupid people like ol' Gwyn here made it into a memefood.
>>
>>7210358
>all fresh vegetables/fruits, no canned
>rice and beans in plastic, not burlap
>cilantro
>fucking limes
>kale and shit
May as well get some crab legs to throw in there jesus christ.
>>
How to get by on EBT/WIC. O had to for 3 months.
Dont buy meat.

Dont buy fresh veggies (buy frozen) avoid out of season fruits.

Shop around

I ate lots of rice, beans, oats, pasta , meart only if it was on sale amd stupid cheap.

Used coupons all the time.
>>
File: marisa ysy smugface.png (27 KB, 195x304) Image search: [Google]
marisa ysy smugface.png
27 KB, 195x304
>mfw itt murkens confess spying on their neighbours on how they 'get ahead' with fucking food stamps, and reporting them to the authorities
>mfw I thought this only happened in the soviet union
>mfw just hearing this makes me feel incredibly superior by default just by not being born in either of those shitholes
>>
>>7224157

Came here to sat exactly this. No canned tomatoes, no fat bag of white rice, kale and cilantro present, and too many fucking limes.

This person shopped like a retard on $29
>>
>>7215278
By "vegan" he meant "fucking idiot who doesn't know how to shop or eat".
I see how that could go over your head, you being a vegan and all.
>>
>>7224154
I'll take the bait. 1) it was about kale, not lobster. So fuck off. 2) I buy lobster quite regularly, and it's expensive as fuck, so neither the first part nor the second part of the implication holds. So fuck off.
To learn a bit more about kale I'd suggest travelling to an eastern european country, like Poland or Ukraine... They make damn good kale based meals. They also know how to cook cabbage properly, and don't use it for shit-tier slaw exclusively all the time.
>>
I think people forget that the S in SNAP stands for supplemental.
>>
>>7223704
I once saw a documentary praising the virtues of governmental control over the diets of the underclasses and food rationing as you describe but it was a little difficult to understand because the narration was in Russian.
>>
>>7224209
>implying cuckservatives have any self awareness
>>
>>7223604
saved for any time someone brings up the age old "but eating healthy is expensive" or "how do I live on only x amount each week and not starve"
>>
File: For_what_purpose.jpg (25 KB, 323x454) Image search: [Google]
For_what_purpose.jpg
25 KB, 323x454
>>7210358
>7 limes
>fresh herbs
>green onion
>a fucking avocado
>>
>>7211259
"do something or have or show qualities worthy of "

>have or show qualities worthy of

Yeah naw. You don't want to or "cant" work, fine. You get enough food to sustain life. Everything else is a luxury afforded to those who work for it.
>>
>>7223704
I'm pretty anti Gov involvment, and even I think that's a good idea.
>>
File: Don't Feed The Fucking Birds.jpg (55 KB, 445x350) Image search: [Google]
Don't Feed The Fucking Birds.jpg
55 KB, 445x350
>>7223704

Uncle Sam is as bad with money and choices as the typical person sucking on Aunt Sam's tit.
>>
>>7224239
>>7224154

>live in northern coast state
>buy lobsters from fishermen for $3/lb
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.