[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can people justify paying over $5 for a Starbucks drink,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
How can people justify paying over $5 for a Starbucks drink, but then complain that the locally owned place that sells a medium latte for $4 is too expensive?
>>
>>7209983
Habit. Simple consumer habit.
>>
>>7209983
Starbucks or other chains are consistent with their flavor while locals change depending on many factors. You always know what you're getting at starbucks while the angry hipster is working the barista again and he always puts less milk in my coffee because he thinks coffee should only be black
>>
>>7209999
>>7209986

But the Starbucks Coffee is lower quality and more expensive. Wouldn't it be better to take the risk and find out if the local place is better, even if it means forgoing the Starbucks drink for one day?
>>
I go time Starbucks once a month or so, if that, and I've never once paid five dollars for a drink. What drinks are you ordering that cost that much?
>>
>>7210150
Go to*
>>
>>7209983
>what are retail giants
>what is brand loyalty
>what is human psychology

it's like you think just because it's coffee that the heaving masses of the majority of humans are going to not do exactly what they do with everything else in their world: consolidate image recognition as an unconscious survival mechanism.

faggot.
>>
>>7209999
You go to the wrong local coffee shop. The one I frequent has your generic latte for $3.75, syrup is $0.25, and they have a pamphlet explaining their bean varieties. They also do $0.75 refills for another coffee/espresso of equal value.

It is owned by a woman in her late 50s, the only other employees are some chick and this nerdy guy in his 30s who looks like /r9k/ personified. Coffee is always the same, beans are never burned, it is cheaper, and the surroundings more comfy.

Meanwhile there are these pretentious Russian fucks across town that fit exactly what you describe as a hipster hell. I hate the place.
>>
>>7210017
>But going outside is higher quality entertainment and less expensive than using the internet. Wouldn't it be better to go outside and have some real fun, even if it means forgoing the internet for one day?

And yet here we are. People are stupid, deal with it.
>>
The few times I have been to Starbucks, the coffee and lattes were really burnt tasting. I can see why people mask them with sugary syrups.

I looked hard for an alternative place to get coffee, but I was in a shitty part of LA and and the next closest place was a gas station four miles away.
>>
Because the extra dollar they paid at Starbucks got them whipped cream, flavor syrup and ice blended in, but the latte is just coffee and milk.
>>
>>7210195
/thread
>>
>>7209983

I live in an Australian city that doesn't have starbucks so I am safe. Plus I only drink long blacks (americano) so why the fuck would I pay for latte that was used in the baristas enema?
>>
>>7210234
Apples to oranges.
>>
>>7210234
>going outside is higher quality entertainment

Prove it.
>>
>>7210247
You can usually get those things at every coffee shop, in fact, you could probably order something very close to the Heavy Cream Wet Dream you normally get at Sbucks, and support a local business while doing it.
>>
>>7209983
>How can people justify paying over $5 for a Starbucks drink, but then complain that the locally owned place that sells a medium latte for $4 is too expensive?

Well one, because that's never happened.
>>
>>7209983
>ITT: Shit that never happens

Let me guess you own a coffee shop and got bad reviews by a bunch of jews
>>
File: AqMi0Bu.jpg (51 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
AqMi0Bu.jpg
51 KB, 720x960
>our local shop is 6.90 for a medium iced frappe
>4.60 at star bucks

They taste just the same so
>>
File: wVawm2U.jpg (398 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
wVawm2U.jpg
398 KB, 1280x960
>>7209983
>$5
Stop, it's never $5 unless you order a venti frappuncino with extra pumps of syrupy bullshit
> people ... complain
I really don't know who you're referring to. It can't be the people on this board. I love both my local place (stays open late for studying, great bakery, fantastic plain coffee) and starbucks for iced espresso drinks.

Do you genuinely make these threads because this is a question that you've actually figured needs answering?
>>
>2015.9917808
>paying some liberal arts major 5 dollarydoos to make coffee
>not making it better at home and for less money while perfecting your latte art
>>
From my experience. Some local coffee shops have WAYYYY to much invested in this local coffee shit. I remember one place telling me that the coffee they serve is distributed locally and also prepared that way...the coffee was shit but charging 4 dollars for something locally made...yeah no thanks...especially when the product is shit.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.