[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got a shitload of habanero peppers for christmas as a joke
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: Chile-Habanero.jpg (3 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
Chile-Habanero.jpg
3 MB, 3072x2304
I got a shitload of habanero peppers for christmas as a joke gift, but I've no idea what to do with them anymore. I've made chili salt already, I froze a couple of them and I've preserved a couple in wodka. I'll also make some sambal tomorrow, but that'll only keep for a few weeks I think.

Any suggestions on what to do with the rest?
>>
>>7207081

jerk seasoning
>>
>>7207081

Define "shitload".

Regardless, pickle them, and use as needed.
>>
>>7207098
30-40 of them are left, more than I'd normally use in years. Especially since the gf hates spicyness.
>>
Make a huge batch of chili with them.

Dice some for scrambled eggs in the morning.

Dry and grind into powder for a nice chili pepper spice to add to dishes.

Go ham and eat a bunch of them, regretting it immediately afterwards.
>>
>>7207121
>30-40 of them are left

That's a good haul.

I usually go through a dozen or so a week, and they keep pretty well in the fridge.

I'd slice em' thin and toss them in a pickle solution.

That way you'll have access to the ones you don't eat right away in about a week or so.
>>
>>7207180
Shit man, 12 of those a week can't be healthy. Sure your stomach hasn't got holes in it by now?
>>
>>7207207
you build up a tolerance to spiciness, but it also doesn't actually do any damage. birds can eat spicy peppers because they don't have capsaicin receptors. it just tricks you into thinking it's burning you, probably as a defense mechanism.
>>
File: Habs.jpg (7 KB, 300x180) Image search: [Google]
Habs.jpg
7 KB, 300x180
>>7207207

I find them too hot to be enjoyed raw, but I think the ol' Hab is the perfect amount of heat for cooking with, and I love the citrusy flavor they impart, so I toss in one or two with most everything I make.

I have them with eggs in the mornings, and pretty much with every protein I make for the evening meal. Adding two sliced peppers to the meal is the perfect combo between spicy flavor and heat, for me at least. Either sliced thinly, or diced up with garlic, ginger, or both garlic AND ginger.

Habs are the bomb, anon.
>>
>>7207224
>probably as a defense mechanism

And for good reason too. Before you built your tolerance did your stomach hurt and your shits burn? I used to love eating spicy food now a couple years later and now eating a decent portion of a spicy meal spits fire out my asshole the next morning
>>
>>7207233
Excuse my ignorance, but do peppers get less hot if you cook them or something? Cause two habanero's in a meal seems insane to me. Could just be dat tolerance though.
>>
>>7207276
No, not really. I use to think Jalapenos and banana peppers were spicy, but after eating peppers for years, only some of the really stupid hot peppers are spicy for me anymore.

Just gotta build up dat tolerance for most people.
>>
>>7207276
>Excuse my ignorance, but do peppers get less hot if you cook them or something?

I don't think it's that the peppers are less hot as much as the heat is less concentrated.

When I add them to my stir fry, eggs, and such, the heat gets distributed in the fats and oils throughout the entire dish, which I enjoy. I do always include something that will help dissipate the heat if it gets too much, though, such as rice, or bread. When I want a heat bomb and load up a dish with peppers, like with a curry recipe, I include a small serving of plain white yogurt as an emergency cool down, as I have found the cool texture and fats in the yogurt offers almost instant relief, but I am a sucker for punishment.

There could be a tolerance aspect as well, though, because I've been eating these bastards for years now.

When in doubt, plain whole milk yogurt can save you.
>>
What kind of a joke is that?
>>
>>7207316
its a ha ha kind of joke
>>
>>7207081
Jelly.
Habanero jelly.
Raspberry habanero jelly.
Mango habanero jelly.
Blackberry hananero jelly.
>>
Dry them in your oven on low heat for like 8-10 hours. Cool, then crush them however you want (blender is best but wash that shit WELL).

Now you have hot pepper flakes you can put into literally any recipe to make it spicier, and they'll keep as long as you need them to if you put them in a spice jar with a decent seal.
>>
You should preserve them.

http://www.punkdomestics.com/category/tags/habaneros
>>
>>7207088
That can work but it's more scotch bonnets for jerk stuff.
>>
File: chocoHabbys_200.jpg (81 KB, 200x171) Image search: [Google]
chocoHabbys_200.jpg
81 KB, 200x171
>>7207276
Some do, normal habs do, but chocolate habs seem to transcend the cooking process, they keep their flavor and heat.
>>
>>7207824
Preserve them? It's only 30 peppers you twat. Are you stupid or just daft?
>>
>>7207257
lol yeah, that happens to me. drinking milk or eating something with dairy might help, but i don't think you can do much about that.
>>
>>7207956
>that overly aggressive person who gets angry and rude over literally nothing
nobody likes when you do this
>>
>>7207316
>>7207276
>>7207957
No joke, just make sure to wash your hands thoroughly before fingering your girlfriend or you wont hear the end of it for at least 2-3 weeks and you'll have to buy her gifts and stuff.
>>
>>7207962
"nobody" likes when you speak for more people than yourself.
>>
Char it all under the broiler in the oven, blend with vinegar, sauteed garlic, boiled shallots, honey, lime zest and juice, and salt to make epic hot sauce.
>>
>>7208342
What's with you asshole's and the honey in a bunch of threads? Fuck your honey, it doesn't belong in everything.
>>
>>7208342
Did you get that honey shit from the food network or that raspy voiced garden gnome racheal ray?
>>
Throw a while bunch in a jar or olive oil and heat it up so the flavor and great goes into the oil. I use a microwave and nuke it for a min at a time. Keeps for a while but Idk how long. You can do the same with garlic, and as long as bubbles aren't coming from the garlic its safe.

Then use the oil for whatever. Tastes great its soups. I like to put it in my miso
>>
File: 1247750995387.jpg (6 KB, 231x205) Image search: [Google]
1247750995387.jpg
6 KB, 231x205
>>7207081
Just fucking dry them, you faggot.

Jesus Christ, how fucking stupid are you?
>>
>>7207979
he was right we dont like you
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.