[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chef's Knife VS. Santoku
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: misono-ux10-vs-santoku.jpg (131 KB, 499x333) Image search: [Google]
misono-ux10-vs-santoku.jpg
131 KB, 499x333
Hey everyone. So for Christmas I got a few knives (a Santoku, paring, and a cleaver)

My question is, what is the Santoku for that my chef knife isn't? It has little pockets to allow air in so thing don't stick, but that's not a huge problem with my chef knife.

So what, if any, is the difference for this knife?
>>
its a rachael ray meme
>>
>>7206995
I was looking for adults to answer without using memes. Thanks though.
>>
Well, seeing as how fast food sauces, little ceasars, and msg threads are being bumped above this....

Anyone want to see the knives?
>>
>>7206991
If I'm not mistaken the santoku is meant to do exactly what a chef's knife does for a home cook, while better fitting the small hands of Japanese housewives.
>>
>>7207042
I had no idea she had anything to do with that, I don't pay attention to that stuff, sorry.

Like I said, it was a present, and I'm happy with my chef knife.

>>7207057
Well they are different shaped and it does have the air pockets, but I never had a problem using my finger to just wipe off the veggies to the side? Like I don't get it

I will say, I did get a cool knife holder. This thing has bristles that adjust to the knife I put in so I can put it anywhere and the bristles adjust to hold it. That is cool. I'll post a pic in a minute, gonna go downstairs.
>>
>>7207082
>You were probably still a little kid at the time.

I guess? I'm 25 so if she was doing that shit back then then damn, props to her for being a hustler lol.

Also my mom had a job so she never watched these shows. I saw them if my Grandma had them on. BAM. Emril for life.
>>
File: 20151227_181713.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151227_181713.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>
Does anyone make a cleaver-like knife with santoku indents?

I know one of those infomercial sets has a 'chop and serve' which is is basically a short cleaver so after you cut your veggies, you can just scoop them up, but to memory it's just a plain blade with no ovals.

It just seems so right to have a 'fruits and vegetable' knife with the santoku ovals to prevent sticking, slight curve to the blade so you can do a rocking chop easily, and the side surface area of a cleaver to transfer what you just chopped.

Then have a regular ol' chef's knife for dealing with meats and a serrated bread knife for breads. To have the minimum number of knives for the maximum number of uses.
>>
I got a cheap block set years ago, and now have a nice chefs knife.
That said, I use my santoku occasionally for when i dont want to use my chef's knife/don't want to be assed with the cleaning (it's carbon vs stainless).
>>
>>7207139
>santoku indents

kek
>>
File: 20151227_181648.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151227_181648.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
This block is cool though. Can fit any knife where I want because the bristles are adjustable
>>
>>7206991
I don't think it's supposed to be different to a chef's knife, it's just the chef's knife that they came up with. As in, it's not like they had chef's knives before and decided to invent a new one.
>>
>>7207122

Is that a comment on the usefulness of the santoku?
>>
>>7207205
No. I was just showing what I have. It's obvious the chef knife is the only one I had before.

The others all have not been used. I got them for Christmas.
>>
>>7206991
santoku knives are supposed to be better for slicing vegetables. chefs knife is supposed to be better for boning chickens, filleting fish, and so on.
>>
>>7207219
This basically. Like all the eastern culture knives it's supposed to be a more universal tool when compared to the French and German profiles. Ultimately it's all preference though. Reminds me of the showdown me and my boss get into. For general purpose he's all about his santoku and I'm always giving him a run for his money with my big ass German knife
>>
>>7207034
>Rule 10
yes

>>7206991
shorter and not as pointy. It's not as versatile but it's easier for small tasks like slicing veg and butterflying small to medium meats, shit like that. basically anywhere you feel like the chef's knife is longer than it needs to be.
>>
>>7207139

It's called a Granton edge and yes they do. >>7207176
that's pisser. love it

>>7207122
you're not gonna use the others too much more desudesu- but you might try giving the cleaver a spin for a while as your mian, that particular version is a little smaller than a real chinese cleaver but it's a really handy item. slicer, chopper, smasher meat, veg, garlic/ginger/spices, scoop and spatula all in one. I use mine almost exclusively, basically depends on whether my cleaver or my chef's knife is dirty
>>
>>7206991

The thing with most knife types are profiles.

Chef knives of course, can be used for a variety of things, having a flat spot towards the heel for things like chopping, while the front half of the blade is rounded for an easier rocking motion. This may be different based on the type of knife; those being western, and Japanese.

The santoku in the pic you've attached to the OP has a relatively flat profile. Useful for push cutting and chopping motions, not so much a rocking knife, so it's restricted.

From what i've seen; snatches are either extremely flat, or they can be rounded to a point where the entire edge has a belly.

Different knife types excel in specific things. Chef knives simply allow for a wider selection of things to use em' for.
>>
>>7207573

From the top of my head, these are what I can think of for different uses in different knives.

Chef/Gyuto - General; Push cutting/Rocking
Santoku (Flat/Round) - Focuses on either; being able to do the other just slightly
Nakiri/Usuba - Completely flat; limited to chopping and pushing
Bread/Toothed - Teeth used for gripping onto food
Sujuhiki/Slicer - Delicate meats such as fish; using no-more than one swift motion to cut as to not damage the flesh
Banno Bunkna/Kiritsukes - Similar profile to a santoku; has an extremely sharp tip for precise work
Deba/Honesuki - More robust knives; a deba being used for fish butchery, while a honesuki can be used for general boning such as poultry
Petty/Utility - Smaller tasks that can be brought off the board; more detailed work

There are much more types of knives, but hopefully that gives you a broad idea for what different shapes provide
>>
Santokus are for being a big weeb who wants to practice chopping soft vegetables very fast so they feel like they have knife handling skills

Your chef's knife is for actual cooking. Think about it like mac vs windows. One is for being a silly faggot and the other is for people who have shit to do.
>>
>>7207573
>snatches are either extremely flat

I thought Asian pussy was sideways, not flat
>>
>>7207876
santoku***
My mistake, I guess auto correct had gotten the better of me, but i'm sure you knew that
>>
>>7207842
Software development is currently dominated by Mac and Linux users. LIterally every single person at my last start up had a Mac, although the firmware guy would occasionally have to boot into Windows to use some obscure low level tool that hadn't been ported over yet.
>>
>>7207410
OP here.

Thanks dude, I actually love that knife block. It's awesome I can put them in anyway I want. It's probably my favorite Xmas present.

Also, if anyone wants to see a pic of my kitchen I'll show it. It would take about 2 pics and you'd have to forgive the shit clutter on the island. We just dump our shit there and when i prep, I just move shit and wash it down real quick.
>>
File: 1402546304431.jpg (139 KB, 499x408) Image search: [Google]
1402546304431.jpg
139 KB, 499x408
>>7207219
>chefs knife is supposed to be better for boning chickens, filleting fish,

Actually, that's what boning knives and fillet knives are for, respectively.

They reflect the differences in their intent. The western chefs knife is more suited for western cuisine and is heavier -- cutting root veggies. The santoku, which ordinarily has a slightly sharper Asian blade (meh, put on either whatever you want), is for wetter, leafier veggies and more precise/smaller cuts.

I have both and each has their use but there's about a 85% overlap where either does the job just fine. Because I keep the santo at 15 degrees sharp, I do find myself chopping more with it, and I appreciate the curved blade of the western on heavier stuff like onions or taking apart a squash.

TLDR: YMMV
>>
>>7207176
Enjoy your shredded plastic.
>>
>>7208647
What are you talking about?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.