[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is jerk chicken with rice, beans, fried plantains, and collard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: jerk.jpg (147 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
jerk.jpg
147 KB, 750x1000
This is jerk chicken with rice, beans, fried plantains, and collard greens. Poverty food done right.
>>
k
>>
that's called soul food anon
>>
>>7206362
>that's called soul food anon
Not really. Africans went through the Caribbean, and brought the greens too. Nothing is soul cept for that. It's simply caribbean food.
>>
looks like a colon killer. I'd bleed out if I ate that.
>>
>>7206371
caribbean people are mostly black no?

most black food is considered soul food
>>
jerk chicken , huh? what did it ever do to you?
>>
>>7206362
>>7206371
>>7206384
>internet is serious business

Sorry guys. I forgot how important it is to be right on the Internet.
>>
how much did that cost you OP? i remember when you could get really great jamaican food in a portion of that size for like $7 CAD but it's gotten pricier since then I feel. not that it matters cause i'm vegetarian now :(
>>
>>7206384
>most black food is considered soul food

no it isn't
>>
>>7206427
Got the picture from Google, because I don't have any of my own.

I've been making this at home to eat on a budget. It's amazing.
>>
>>7206440
what's it called then?
>>
>>7206449

Cultural appropriation...
>>
>>7206449
Dank nigga bites
>>
>>7206446
whats your recipe?
>>
>>7206478
kek'd
>>
>>7206449
>what's it called then?
Dude, just do some research. There's a few categories of food.
Southern
Soul
Caribbean
Poor people food.

...are the three in question with you. Black food isn't a category at all. I'd say soul food would be really be a merge of southern food and some of the depression and slave era necessity foods, merged with the african influence of the slave trade. Ingredients came in colonial times from all kinds of sources, Jefferson and Washington not the least of which being huge sources of early ingredient/recipe imports and farming introductions. Having chitlins and chicken feet would be soul. Having chicken with waffles would be soul, but not at all Southern, it originated in NY/LA first, and indicative of the black theatre latenight communities. Simple well cooked vegetables, corn-meal fried okra, fried green tomatoes, all kinds of greens cooked with ham hocks, sliced ripe tomatoes with salt, corn, speckled butter beans, and other farmed produce is all about the south and their love of vegetables. It's not soul food to eat like that, though items will appear on menus of soul food restaurants. It's a hard distinction really, but you can figure it out if you tried. What the US history had with black rights is NOT the same history as the rest of the world. It is unique, and it would be a huge misnomer to apply the same kind of strife and racism and rights struggles to the Caribbean, central or South america or anything to do with S. Africa, of course. Soul is unique. If you want to know more, consult Jessica Harris (food historian) books.
>>
>>7206508

Jefferson brought back the first waffle iron to the USA from Holland and frequently enjoyed chicken and waffles. That's from doing "basic" research though...I am certain with extensive research everything consumed in the southern states of the USA are a compendium of different culinary origins including European (the base) asian, native , african, indian as well as other influences.

Honestly none of the spices necessary for what is now jerk chicken existed in Africa or America. Recipes like jerk chicken are the product of the slave trade having influences ans ingredients utilized from across the entire planet.

Slavery has always existed, still does exist and will never stop. If you live in a country with legalized prostitution, ask one of them where they're from and the circumstances that brought them there. Nearly 100% of the time it's because of human trafficking. They're slaves.

They're enslaved the same way Indians in the UAE are. An "employer" pays their expenses to get to the country they're working in and automatically in debt they must "work off" until they're even paid an actual wage. More often than not the price they're charged for travel is many times more than the actual cost, meaning they're working "indentured" for a significant period of time to pay off the debts until they can send money back home.

An estimated 1 million slaves from Sri Lanka and India are currently working in the UAE, that's just ONE country.

Tldr- you're a crybaby faggot that doesn't know shit.
>>
>>7206421
your turning something into something that its not

Literallly noone started shit, mild correction is polite yknow
>>
File: 15553227770.gif (624 KB, 404x305) Image search: [Google]
15553227770.gif
624 KB, 404x305
>>7206528

Rekt
>>
>Rice and pea
>Curried goat
>Saltfish
>Callaloo
>Wray and Ting

Living in Bristol has its perks
>>
>>7206384
>most black food is considered soul food

Only to yankee's.

"Soul" food is nothing more than common southern food. Period.

After the civil war, throngs of blacks migrated to northern cities looking for work, and they brought southern cuisine with them.

Ignorant northern whites began to associate southern food with blacks, and this eventually turned into "soul" food when blacks started using the term "soul" to differentiate themselves from whites.
>>
Poverty food would just be the collard greens
>>
>>7206798
It's fun pretending to you know what you're talking about, isn't it?
>>
>>7206384

>caribbean people are mostly black no?

Not really, the same way South African is "mostly black" would be a good comparison.

Colonialists settled and never left, there are rather large populations of white people in the caribbean (especially Jamaica).... who else is going to run it?
>>
File: Q5y7E.gif (148 KB, 486x280) Image search: [Google]
Q5y7E.gif
148 KB, 486x280
>>7206825

Yes, every bit of truth that hurts your feelings isn't real, it's just pretend.
>>
File: 1448044923644.gif (2 MB, 449x266) Image search: [Google]
1448044923644.gif
2 MB, 449x266
>fried plantains
>>
>>7206835

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Jamaica

>sean paul is Jewish

KEK
>>
>>7206849
>not loving fried plantains
>>
>>7206838
I live in Texas and there are plenty of soul food restaurants. It seems like you have a problem with black people calling certain food their own.
>>
Reminder that poor people using cheap ingredients invented all of the world's best cooking techniques throughout history.
>>
>>7206895

I would imagine there being more Latino restaurants seeing as it's only been 170 years almost to the date that Texas became a state and stopped belonging to Mexico.

Blacks are a minority in Texas. Factually speaking. Perhaps you live in a disgustingly poverty stricken area full of Latinos and Blacks... who knows.

What I DO know... is that the VAST majority of even mexican food is Spanish cuisine made with indigenous ingredients. How many natives do you know in Texas that are truly corn and chile shitters? I don't know one.
>>
>>7206910
I live in Houston. It's one of the restaurant capitals in the US. Anything you want you can get.
>>
>>7206915

If you can get anything why focus exclusively on one thing? Also, its nice to that not only is your city in the top for criminal activity but for obesity as well. More dangerous than NYC or Detroit now according to modern statistics.

Scary.

Did Paul Wall brainwash you into thinking you're also black?
>>
>>7206909
This is a nice notion, and a good reminder to take from this thread.

Also, OP, I think your food is tasty (even if it's not that exact image).

I'd like to see the recipe, too.
>>
>>7206938
No, that would be the late great DJ Screw. Z-Ro is good too.
>>
>>7207017

OHHHHH so TV people convinced you to travel into the hood for ribs and chicken. Gotcha.

What ever floats your boat man.
>>
File: 1451077013316.jpg (39 KB, 720x438) Image search: [Google]
1451077013316.jpg
39 KB, 720x438
>>7206351
Looks pretty dank, though sloppy.

I love me some good Jamaican food.

>Escoveitch fish
>Curry goat
>Brown stew chicken
>Oxtails
>Rice and peas and fried plantains
>Banana porridge
>Sorrel
>Jamaican style lemonade

GOAT
>>
>>7206392
kek
>>
>>7206351
I thought for a second that it was a literal goats head in the platter the fork from far away look like the bridge of its nose
>>
>>7208760
you found my tag. far and wide, all across the nation, everyone knows my great name "MIKAD TUMS"
>>
OP, that shit looks fucking dank. Never made any type of chicken with an awesome burnt sear or whatever the fuck is going on there. Gimme
>>
>>7206351
How much op? Thats a pretty overloaded platter
>>
>>7206351

I swear Jerk Chicken is the most brain dead type of chicken to make... when you have Jerk seasoning. Seriously, go to some gourmet grocery store, nab a jar of jerk seasoning like Grace or something, season your chicken and stew it like you normally do for your other chicken. I throw in onions and bell peppers and a little orange zest and the broth is DELICIOUS on white rice.

It's so easy to make yet so good that I feel like a cheater using that jar... I really should learn to make my own jerk seasoning >_>
>>
>>7208760
I'm that guy who he was replying to. What part of Houston you stay at?
>>
>collard greens

good man. bro-tier vegetable
>>
>>7206528
>Jefferson brought back the first waffle iron to the USA from Holland and frequently enjoyed chicken and waffles. That's from doing "basic" research though...I am certain with extensive research everything consumed in the southern states of the USA are a compendium of different culinary origins including European (the base) asian, native , african, indian as well as other influences.
Chicken n biscuits is savory and breakfast both. But, to be sure, chickens were usually slaughtered and drained for quite a while before cooking, whereas pork was preserved, so if you want to discuss real breakfast oldies, then you start with the fact, it's pretty modern post-refrigeration era to do chicken in the mornings.

Chicken n waffles was a mid-40s food pairing from post-theatre diners (first was Wells Dinner Theatre, which even Roscoe's admits started the trend) where late night crowds didn't have to choose between a homemade fried chicken mood or a breakfast food, they simply got both, and nothing to do with Jefferson's food pairings. Owning a waffle iron is all he had, as his recipes and meals are very well documented in Jefferson family OCD-level entirety in their household and personal journals, as anyone who visited Monticello will tell you. Every thing he ever put in the waffle iron is documented. Stop taking wikipedia as some kind of concise fact source. It's not. It's equivalent to "I heard it on the internet..." and maybe write about things ou do know about.
>>
>>7210978
>I swear Jerk Chicken is the most brain dead type of chicken to make... when you have Jerk seasoning. Seriously, go to some gourmet grocery store, nab a jar of jerk seasoning like Grace or something, season your chicken and stew it like you normally do for your other chicken.
Badia makes a dry rub now. Even more economical alone than a $3.50 jar. It can be made more gourmet with fresh flavors, just whirl up some fresh lime zest, juice, a jalapeno, some dark rum, fresh ginger, and a handful of green onions to make it a wet paste. Any or none of the above.
>>
>>7206351
Did anyone else see a badger head in the thumbnail?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.