[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stand Mixer General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 252x200) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 252x200
Looking to get one of these for mom. Want to bump her up from using the hand mixer. Want to spend around $150 max, so are there any in particular that are good for that price? I've heard they're notorious for not hitting the bottom of the bowl.
>>
>$150 max
you might find one on craigslist or ebay but they dont ever really go that cheap.
>>
>>7206314
How much more should I go to get her a decent model?
>>
>Want to spend around $150 max
then get her a really good hand mixer. you won't find a decent, working stand mixer for that price.
>>
>>7206333
What's a decent model without breaking the bank?
>>
>>7206304
Tfw me mum and dad have a fuck huge kitchen aid mixer that goes unused.

>I asked to take it to my apartment because I cook bread and other baked good frequently
>they say no because I should spend more time studying than cooking bread
>I have a 3.4
>>
used bread machines make good mixers and kneaders.. I wouldn't bake bread in them though.
>>
Kenwood chef is the only valid option, they last forever and the accessories still use the same connections since my parents got theirs when they first married.
>>
I bought one for myself and my mother in law during black friday. I got us both the artisanal quality. I really enjoy it. I like the shield it comes with, my mother's back home never had that and this keeps flour from leaving the bowl. The black friday deal with rebate came to 196 per brand new.
>>
>>7206521

Have been reading some murmurs about recent chef classics skimping on quality.

Also leaking oil, but Kitchenaids will do that too occasionally. Comes with the planetary gears.
>>
Why are stand mixers so fucktardedly overpriced?

They're just a goddamn motor and variable reducer, surely.
>>
File: giada_de_laurentis.jpg (420 KB, 1440x1186) Image search: [Google]
giada_de_laurentis.jpg
420 KB, 1440x1186
>>7206649

Because there are a lot of moving parts, and they need to be assembled in a way that will not cause undue wear. The gears themselves need to be made of stronger alloys than the basic stuff used in a $60 blender.

It's why my Vitamix cost $800, because it can chop up a 2x4 piece of lumber and still make smoothies afterwards. Grandma bought it for the family 16 years ago, parents gave it to me recently. Still the original blades and everything, still works as well as the day we got it.

A good mixer is the same. Spend a decent amount and you will get a quality product that lasts decades.
>>
File: whatisthis.jpg (478 KB, 1440x876) Image search: [Google]
whatisthis.jpg
478 KB, 1440x876
>>7206395

>you could have a 4.0 if you didn't spend all those hours kneading dough like some insane baker lunatic
>all day and all night
>you reek of flour
>there's salt under your fingernails
>your hair is stained with Crisco
>you're tearing this family apart, Anon
>>
So....what's a good mixer for my budget?
>>
>>7206809
what's your budget
and what do you want to do with it?
>>
>>7206671

Same I still have my 10 year old vitamix and it works great.

Also OP I have a kitchenaid. I know they retail for around $350 but I waited until I had a badass coupon from Kohl's and got it for $250 instead. I don't think you'll find a decent stand mixer in your budget.
>>
>>7206304
they've got a $50 MIR going on right now
https://www.kitchenaidpromotions.com
>>
File: artisan-vs.-classic.jpg (103 KB, 641x1024) Image search: [Google]
artisan-vs.-classic.jpg
103 KB, 641x1024
>>7206547
I did the same thing. Got the Professional 600 off Amazon Warehouse for $260.
>ALL METAL GEARS construction
>Bowl-lift instead of tilt-head mechanism for maximum stability

I just used it this Christmas weekend to make a true pound cake (no chemical leavener, just eggs with a lot of air-beaten into them), and a scratch chocolate layer cake.

>>7206365
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-stand-mixer/
I really would stretch your maximum budget to get one. If you never plan to make bread then you'll probably be fine with their 4.5-Qt. Classic model which is rated for 250W instead of the Artisan's 325W motor.

>>7206859
The 5-Qt. Artisan and even a Professional 5-Qt. are also ~$200 flat refurbished directly from Kitchenaid's Ebay store:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KitchenAid-Artisan-Series-Refurbished-5-Qt-Tilt-Head-Stand-Mixer-/131632229561
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KitchenAid-Professional-Heavy-Duty-Series-Refurbished-RKG25H0X-/121792698671
>>
>>7206304
>General
>>
Don't wanna start a new thread to ask a question so ill post here.
Recommend a good blender, right now I'm using a $16 blender and it starting to wear out already and it doesn't do the job right.

Looking for something that can blend oats into a fine flour, also able to blend seeds from frozen strawberries and such so I don't have little seeds floating around in my shake.
Hopefully looking to spend <$200 AUD, but can go over if it is worth it.
>>
File: 12blenders.jpg (323 KB, 1258x512) Image search: [Google]
12blenders.jpg
323 KB, 1258x512
>>7208032
>Looking for something that can blend oats into a fine flour, also able to blend seeds from frozen strawberries
That last condition is a high demand that we'll have you shell out for good results.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-blender/
A Vitamix has been and still is the gold standard for blenders like Kitchenaid is for mixers from a performance and quality/reliability standpoint along with Blendtec total blenders to a much lesser extent. However, testing says the Cleanblend will actually blend smoother berry seeds than a Vitamix, and at 275 AUD it's vastly less expensive than even a refurbished Vitamix 5200 which is ~412 AUD (and ~675 AUD new).

If you can tolerate SOME unblended seeds, or don't mind passing a mixture that happens to include them through quickly through a sieve once before consumption the Oyster Versa 1400W is also extremely well performing in every other stress test and can be had ~255 AUD. Both models in general performance will get you 85-90% of the performance of a Vitamix.

This class of blenders all come with 5 or 7-year warranties standard (which is kinda ironic since even the highest-end commercial line of Kitchenaid mixers only come with a 2-year warranties and 1-year for their consumer models even though both are known to last for literally decades).
>>
File: 61rzxnXYn6L._SY450_.jpg (25 KB, 399x450) Image search: [Google]
61rzxnXYn6L._SY450_.jpg
25 KB, 399x450
Get one of these.

KitchenAid KP26M1XTG 6-Qt. Professional 600 Series - Tangerine

About $350. Worth the money.
>>
>>7206304

I got my girlfriend one for $175 from kitchen collections.
>>
>>7208200
Thanks for the info.
>>
>>7206325

$300-400
>>
KitchenAid KSM6573COB 6-Qt. Professional 6000 HD Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer

bought for $220 after tax

black friday price was 250 dollars mom gave me amazon gift card for my birthday.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.