[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is using MSG in one's cooking considered cheating?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: msg.jpg (164 KB, 620x396) Image search: [Google]
msg.jpg
164 KB, 620x396
Is using MSG in one's cooking considered cheating?
>>
short cut. It isn't a bad thing to do. You would get that flavor if you used stock.
>>
>>7205235
No, i actually like the flavour of urnami.
>>
>>7205235
MSG is a flavour enhancer. It can only make things taste better. The only problem is that some people can be allergic to it.
>>
>>7205293
>The only problem is that some people can be allergic to it.
No.
>>
>>7205293
>
>>
>>7205235

It's a fucking cheat but for home cooking who gives a shit. Add it to your mayo for some great sandwiches
>>
I like to sprinkle a bit into my coffee
>>
>>7205293
>2015
>being allergic to the most simple proteinogenic amino acid
>being this stupid

Stop spouting this bullshit.
>>
File: 1451099484946.jpg (89 KB, 650x416) Image search: [Google]
1451099484946.jpg
89 KB, 650x416
enjoy your testicular cancer, u stupid ignorant goy!
good good very good.
>>
>>7205406
goys will be goys man. For instance, some families eat a lot a may. Not ours. Just the way it is.
>>
>>7205406
Enjoy your autism

Oh wait you didn't take the vaccines
>>
It's salt. Is salt cheating?
>>
>>7205491
good goy, its just salt, eat it and stop breeding, we dont need more than 500 mil goim on earth.
>>
>>7205359
>homeade rohypnol
>>
>>7205293
if its a flavour enhancer, does it multiply the effect of a taste of something in particular? so like if u eat it with milk u get creamy milk and if u put it in lemons it makes super sour?
>>
>>7205565
>he doesn't sprinkle MSG into his protein shakes for MAXIMUM GAINZ
>>
MSG tastes like slightly sweet salt
>>
>>7205499
Are you stupid or just brainwashed? Or is it both?
>>
>>7205293
Being allergic to an amino acid is impossible
>>
File: 1375676270231.png (146 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1375676270231.png
146 KB, 625x626
>>7205695
>>
>>7205700
Incorrect, Doctor.
>>
>>7205403
you can be allergic to anything, bud. you must not know anything about the immune system
>>
>>7205235
I use Knorr stock pots because they taste better than MSG
>>
>>7205974
i dont get this meme, are dry stock cubes actually better than the jelly pots?
>>
Literally adding pure toonami to your food
>>
Blah, blah, blah.
I love MSG-enhanced foods, however I'm a little confused as to how much MSG should be used.
Does it replace ALL of the salt in a recipe? Do you use it in 50-50 ratio with normal salt? Or does it get added in addition to the amount of salt in a recipe?
If you look at the molar weights of the molecules, for an equivalent amount of sodium, you can use more MSG than regular salt.
The sodium content (in mass percent) of MSG, 12%, is about one-third of that in sodium chloride (39%), due to the greater mass of the glutamate counterion.
Salt is usually measured by volume in cooking, not mass. Table salt and kosher salt should have relatively constant densities, making volume measurements convenient, but what about MSG? Do the needle shaped crystals always have a constant density?
How do you determine how much MSG to use?
>>
It will give you a very strong urge to keep eating so you become a lard ass.
>>
>>7206451
add to taste
>>
>>7205499
go back to pol

your extra chromosome would be well suited with the others
>>
>>7206545
Well, duh.
If cooking for a group of people you do not know, how much MSG would you use? There must be a better guideline than "use how ever much you want to".
Recipes have a fixed quantity of seasonings, a numerical value. That's the starting point, and you can increase or decrease from that baseline value, to taste.
I'm asking for that baseline starting value, not the personal preference part. Why the fuck would anyone care about your personal preference? I want the value that represents the pinnacle of the bell curve, where the most tasters would report the best flavor.
Is this an incredibly hard thing to pin down, or is /ck/ just full of retarded children?
I understand 4chan is mostly trolling and stupidity, but there must be a few of you that have reasonable intelligence and capacity to understand some scientific concepts.
>>
>>7206533
This is very strong evidence for MSG = delicious.

The obesity part is unfortunate, but that is a personality flaw more than a cooking mistake.

Food that triggers a body's biological reaction to eat more is the very definition of "good" food. It is highly desirable. Its better with, than without. I'm sorry if this concept is beyond you, but its simply impossible to claim that MSG-enhanced foods are not measurably better tasting than non-MSG-enhanced foods.

Now that we cleared that up, we can continue the discussion of how much to use. The question of whether to use it at all, yes or no, has been answered conclusively. The answer is YES.

Now, moving on. How much to use in each recipe?
>>
Though he was talking about something unrelated to the thread topic, Dana Carvey once said that "you can't piss into a Mr. Coffee and get Taster's Choice."
Similarly, you can't put MSG into a shitty dish and get perfectly cooked Wellington. Basically, if you can't cook in the first place, no amount of MSG will save you.
>>
>>7206573

get the fuck off this site you stupid faggot.
>>
>>7206746

D-did you really create that image in order to illustrate one side of an analogy based on a Dana Carvey quote?

I'll occasionally throw something together, but not if I think I'm never possibly going to use it again.

>saved image for later use, btw
>>
only if using sodium salt is also considered cheating
>>
>>7206834

Nothing wrong with sodium salt once or twice a month, if you don't mind dying within the next few years.
>>
>>7206807
Why yes. Yes I did.
>>
>>7206807
Did you forget that this is an imageboard?
>>
>>7206761
Make me fag boy
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.