[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You like cold brew coffee, /ck/? I got one of these pitchers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: hario.jpg (88 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
hario.jpg
88 KB, 1024x1024
You like cold brew coffee, /ck/? I got one of these pitchers as a Christmas gift and it actually makes a pretty smooth, strong cup. I tried making cold brew with my French press before and it didn't turn out nearly as well.

Oh, and coffee thread I guess.
>>
yeah those are p great - my favorite coffees to use are usually really fruity/bright coffees, i also usually grind just as fine as i would for a v60 cause fuck coarse grind - but anyway what i do when i make it now is coldbrew in a 2nd vessel like my french press carafe (~18-36hrs depending on how patient im feeling) and then strain through my mizudashi filter into the MD carafe to use for serving, using 2 vessels helps control the amount of sediment you get in the bottom

also it really helps a lot to do a hot 30sec bloom before you dump the rest of your cold water it becomes way more fragrant and flavorful
>>
Nah. Every cold brewed coffee I've ever had, and that's been around a dozen times now, has always tasted sour. On at least one occasion, possibly two or more, it even curdled the milk. And I know it wasn't the milk that went off or anything because I got regular coffee and my ex got cold brew and we both used the same milk from the same vac flask.
If you like it, though, by all means: enjoy it.
>>
>>7204014
>18-36 hours

My Mizudashi suggests 8-12 hours, damn.

>>7204025
That's really weird, did you grind fresh beans?
>>
>>7204069
Never bothered to make it myself as I've found it just plain awful literally every time I've had it. Tried it while out at various places in my area, a couple in Manhattan, once in SF and two different brands of bottled cold brew coffee.
Found all of them wholly repulsive and could never stomach finishing one. While all of my close friends agree that it's just terrible, we're all equally dumbfounded at how more and more places offer it every day. Its popularity is an honest-to-goodness mystery to me.
Again, though, if y'all like it for whatever reason, by all means, have at it.

>>7203991
Just noticed that I didn't bother to say what method I /do/ like. Sorry about that.

For hot, coffee, I just use moka.

For cold, I like Italian/Japanese iced coffee.
Very, very strong coffee/espresso dripped/pulled over ice so that the melting of the ice has the double effect of quickly cooling the coffee as well as balancing out the strength appropriately.
Typically, I brew it at around 4× strength, using half the amount of water necessary for a shot as well as double the amount of ground coffee. For example, if I'm using my autodrip, it holds about 1800ml of water or so, so I use 900ml of water and 150g of coffee and brew it over a carafe half-full with ice.
>>
>>7204155

you are a fucking cunt, iced coffee is notoriously poor at cafes due to constraints in production; anybody that doesn't know this is an idiot.

Why don't you make sure you have had the proper product before you run your mouth about something that other people care about? It makes you look like a little faggot and brings down the board. Your tone is smug, which it shouldn't be because you sound like you live in ohio and live in a "townhouse" in the suburbs
>>
>>7204155
cold, black coffee is refreshing af you homo

there's a time and a place
>>
File: Aeropress.jpg (109 KB, 980x980) Image search: [Google]
Aeropress.jpg
109 KB, 980x980
Does anybody know if these Aeropress coffee makers are any good? Thinking of giving them a try, they're pretty cheap on amazon atm (£20)

I've got a Hario V60 but that thing is kind of a pain in the ass, and I always manage to fuck up the french press.
>>
>>7204184
>>7204200
>waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! stop nonconfrontationally disliking what i like!

Also
>smug
>when someone literally said "hey, i know that my opinion's the minority here so if you like it, good for you, i hope you enjoy and have a good life also you are awesome and i like you <3 let's be friends and stuff, just don't serve me cold brew coffee roflmao!"
That's not what smug means.
>>
>>7204206
They brew a very, very good cup of coffee. The only downside is that the filters are (were? Not sure if there are other manufacturers now, but there weren't last I checked) proprietary so you have to pay Aeropress' prices for it. Also the fact that you'll always feel like you're brewing coffee with a chinzy piece of plastic.

Would recommend for home use, but not for travel because the plastic on mine cracked in my bag. If you're an on-the-road sort, get a Vietnamese coffee filter instead, otherwise, Aeropress is really, very good.
>>
>>7204214
you take milk with your coffee, so your opinion is invalid
>>
>>7204225
Ok, thanks. Gonna order it

Do I need to get a coffee grinder too? I typically buy my coffee pre-ground from the supermarket but all the reviews of the Aeropress say you should be using finely ground beans.
>>
>>7204233
It's better, provided that the beans are better, but it's not strictly necessary. If you have a good source for beans you like, then yes. Otherwise, pre-ground is okay, too, so long as you store it properly.

>>7204228
Pic related.
>>
>>7204242
just a prank, bro
>>
>>7204242
Awesome. Thanks.

>>7204214
>>7204228
>>7204248
>>7204200
Don't know who is who but every time I have tried to make cold brew it came out tasting like shit. I think I got pretty close once but it was really acidic and tasted more like tea than coffee, maybe I'm just stupid. They don't serve cold brew coffee in coffee shops in the UK, at least I've never come across it.
I've had more success with the Japanese method over ice.
>>
>>7204260
>Cold brew
>Acidic tasting

You really fucked up, anon. Cold brew is literally the least acidic brewing method there is when done right.
>>
>>7204233
A grind fine enough for a drip coffee maker will be alright. I believe pre ground coffee is made for drip machines so you should be good. If you do get a grinder be sure to spend a little extra and get a burr grinder. Blade grinders are inconsistent.
>>
>>7204354
If you have to, just get a Hario mill.
>>
>>7204225
>downside is that the filters
you can get reusable metal filters now, They also let through more oils than the paper filters.
>>
>>7204453
Metal filters for Aeropress? When did that debut?
>>
>>7204497
Not him but when I was checking out the aeropress on amazon I seen a few aftermarket mesh filters for it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016SYZWDQ?psc=1
>>
File: Untitled1.png (157 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Untitled1.png
157 KB, 700x700
anyone have experience making "espresso" with this thing? Job doesn't allow for an espresso machine but I'd still like to make espresso based drink. I want to get as close as I can so I'm thinking either this or a bialetti moka pot.
>>
>>7203991
Why oh why do people buy these things for making cold brew? All that matters is your beans and the duration... you don't even need to keep them in a cheese cloth or filters if you don't mind straining them in the morning. The cold brew is not at all dependent on the hardware you use, so if you buy something specifically for cold brew, you're literally throwing away your money.

What I do: coarsely ground beans, usually medium roast but that's up to you, put in a cheese cloth (or a couple regular paper filters if you lack that), inside a litre container of room temp water, and let it sit overnight (about 12 hours). I prefer mine strong, usually 100 or so grams of coffee to 1 litre of water, but you can always dilute it with more water after the fact if it's too strong.
>>
Anyone have any recommendations for like a 3/4 cup coffee maker?

I've been thinking about a Chemex.

It has to work in a dorm, so basically you have a kettle that can go up to 100C and that's it.

Regular drip coffee makers are completely out of the idea, as they're restricted.
>>
>>7204453
>>7204497
Paper filters > metal filters when it comes to Aeropress. Yeah it's great that they're reusable and stuff, but if you're the kind of fag like me that uses Aeropress for really high quality coffees and care about the flavour, paper filter will do a much better job at a clear, pronounced flavour. But if you're going to take it anything other than black then use the mental filters.
>>
>>7204830
I've been doing research on this and I decided I'm going to be getting a kalita wave. stainless steel so its built quality is great, flat bottom for even extraction.
>>
>>7204025

wrong bean. you need espresso roast and the finest grind you can get. proper cold brew should taste almost as much like chocolate as coffee
>>
>>7204846
everyone says the grind should be coarse
>>
>>7204354

no. powder if possible.

>>7204260
>tasted more like tea than coffee
double/treble the amount of coffee then. It should come out extra strong tasting and slightly viscous, like refrigerated espresso
>>
>>7204830
A 3 cup moka pot with its own heating source, just and brew.
>>
>>7204848

they're all fucking retarded. Cafe Bustelo is the ideal store coffee for ice brew.

if you use coarse ground then leave it out of the fridge, that's the only way the transfer of volatile oils will happen in quantity but there;s a 50/50 chance it's going to get rancid
>>
>>7204887
I couldn't do that because of the dorm issue.

>>7204843
Could you link me, I searched and got a bunch of different things.
>>
>cold coffee
>warm beer

yea nah
>>
>>7204888
Pilon > Bustelo
>>
>>7204892
http://www.amazon.com/Kalita-Dripper-people-05033-japan/dp/B000X1AM0Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1451189139&sr=1-1&keywords=kalita+wave
>>
>>7204888
every single person that has ever made cold brew ever is a retard except you, you're a genius.
Fuck off
>>
>>7204961

>bish u wan get cut
>>
>>7204976

Mine tasted like unsweetened hot cocoa. Theirs tastes like urine.

>pretty sure I know who should be listened to here
>>
Mr coffee and Folgers Colombian.
>>
>>7204981
>mine tasted like unsweetened hot cocoa
then drink unsweetened hot cocoa you child
>theirs tastes like urine
then they made a shitty cold brew
>>
>>7204981
a good cold brew should have chocolaty notes but if it literally tastes like hot cocoa and not like coffee why would I want to drink it?
>>
>>7205000
>>7204987

busu baka
>>
>>7204971
So its basically a Chemex but with a removable bottom?
>>
File: amalia12.png (509 KB, 912x515) Image search: [Google]
amalia12.png
509 KB, 912x515
That feeling when you work at starbucks and they give you a free bag of coffee a week and free drinks on the job.
>>
>>7204837
>Paper filters > metal filters when it comes to Aeropress

Don't have an Aeropress, but, with my drip coffee maker the metal filters leave some sediment at the bottom of the pot. If you have roommates/spouse/whatever, the paper can also be nicer because you just throw it away rather than washing the metal filter.

Since I usually only have coffee in the morning, metal filters are okay for me. I leave the top open and the spent grounds dry out by the next morning I just tap them out into the trash and give the filter a couple seconds water rinse out and it's ready.
>>
>>7205121
It's depressing that you feel that's compensation enough for having to work at Starbucks.
>>
>>7204233
>>7204242

Freshly ground from preground is a much bigger improvement than freshly roasted whole bean to grocery store whole bean IMO.

A good grinder is pretty much essential to a good cup.
>>
>>7204698
It doesn't make espresso. The closest you will come to espresso based drinks is a Moka pot and a Bellman Steamer for your milk.
>>
>>7204848
Any they are correct. That guy is an idiot. Look up any cold brew guide posted by any roaster ever.
>>
>>7205119
No, while they are both pour overs all of the pour overs are different and make a different kind of cup.
>>
>>7205121
Nice, you get a free bag of charcoal every week.
>>
>>7204961
They're literally the same thing.
>>
>>7205357
Except they aren't. Bustelo is over roasted.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.