[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chili pepper question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: chilies.jpg (284 KB, 900x596) Image search: [Google]
chilies.jpg
284 KB, 900x596
I see a lot of recipes (especially indian and Thai) that call for either "Red" or "Green" chilies. But there are so many varieties of peppers that I don't know what they mean.

So what are they talking about? Fresno and Serranos?
>>
If the recipe doesn't specify the type beyond mentioning the colour, it was likely written by a Brit (or possibly someone from some other nation that's part of the Commonwealth). They typically mean cayenne peppers because those are the ones most commonly sold in the UK and other Commonwealth countries.

If you live in the US, they're not hard to find, but aren't typically called "cayenned peppers." Just look for ones that are long, about as thick as your thumb and end at a point. Those are likely to be cayennes. Otherwise, compare them to
https://www.google.com/search?q=green+cayenne+pepper&tbm=isch&gws_rd=ssl
and
https://www.google.com/search?q=red+cayenne+pepper&tbm=isch&gws_rd=ssl
>>
>>7203483
Does the Commonwealth not have other types of pepper?
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 624x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 624x800
>>7203530
>>
>>7203530
we have capsicum and chilies, also paprikas

pepper is the shit you grind in a mill
>>
Here bird's eye chilis are sold in grocery stores as "thai chilis", which is probably reasonably accurate.

Very least, Very unlikely to be talking about serranos and fresnos. Fresnos are from california and very mild, serranos are from Mexico (and what you'll find in most mexican cooking) and are hot, but nowhere near a bird's eye chili.
>>
>>7203550
>serranos are from Mexico (and what you'll find in most mexican cooking) and are hot
just got a jar of those for christmas pickled
are they hotter than habaneros?
>>
>>7203555
no
>>
>>7203555
Nah, not even close really.

Bird's eye chilis are more in line with habenaros and scotch bonnets. Fresnos are around Jalapenos. Bird's eye/thai chilis are closer to habaneros/scotch bonnets.
>>
>>7203560
I.. meant to end that with: Serranos are a bit hotter than jalapenos but only just.
>>
>>7203558
>>7203560
good, thankyou. I will use them with my eggs tomorrow

and I grew some birds eye last year; dried and crushed them. one teaspoon will do about 2L of beans spicy. those things are pure pain if used wrong
>>
>>7203535
we call every subspecies of capsicum "peppers" and an individual one is a "pepper" don't be obtuse you poncy nonce
>>
>>7203567
Yup, a little goes a long way with those things. I generally like spicy things, but one or two diced up in a pot of sauce is plenty for me.

I prefer using them fresh rather than dried, and if I don't wipe the cutting board down after chopping them up, it makes pretty much anything else I chop afterwards spicy.
>>
>>7203530
Increasingly yes, but still not as common as in the US. Just as all other countries, when a common ingredient is called without an attached qualifier, it will refer to the most common sort of that ingredient within that culture, so if the word 'chilli' has no attached qualifier, it generally refers to cayenne or something like it.

The issue is that British and Commonwealth familiarity with chilli most greatly comes from exposure to the cuisines of South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh etc). Despite their pungency, these culinary traditions only use a handful of different varieties, the most common of which is a variety that may or may not actually be cayenne but most closely resembles in both taste/pungency and appearance it than any other sort commonly available in North America.

Thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if combining all of the various sorts of chillies most used in all of Asia wouldn't even come to equal a tenth of the number of chillies commonly used in Mexican cuisine, where a single dish alone could have a dozen different types.
>>
>>7203577
capsicum is what you call "bell peppers"
but they look like capsicums, not bell peppers
and to save confusion we call "pepper corns" pepper
>>
>>7203604
bell peppers are also part of the capsicum species yes. So are serranos, fresnos, scotch bonnet and every other variety of what we call "peppers" and which you call "chilies" except for bell peppers which you call capsicum despite the fact that all chilies are also capsicum(s). OP's confusion (and the entire point of this thread) is that we have so many varieties of chili peppers in the USA, simply calling them "chilies" is nowhere near specific enough for someone who is trying to follow a recipe made by a brit

There is no difference in diction between the anglo nations about what black peppercorns are and if a recipe says "add pepper" nobody is going to confuse that with a member of the capsicum species. Likewise if a recipe says "add A pepper" everybody here above the age of 10 knows they mean a member of capsicum, not a black peppercorn

It is grammatically consistent and I don't understand what is difficult to understand about this
>>
bip
>>
bop
>>
bing
>>
bong
>>
pling
>>
>>7205861
>>7205862
>>7205863
>>7205865
>>7205870
what the hell
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.