[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does the Calphalon dutch oven compare with the heavier, enamel-lined
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: calphalon dutch oven.jpg (15 KB, 448x334) Image search: [Google]
calphalon dutch oven.jpg
15 KB, 448x334
How does the Calphalon dutch oven compare with the heavier, enamel-lined ceramic dutch ovens?

I have found a good deal on the Calphalon, but I believe that the nonstick surface will eventually wear off and necessitate discarding the piece, even if you religiously observe all best practices for nonsticks. Can anyone with experience confirm this? Do you get a few good years of regular usage out of it, before the lining degrades and food sticks to the ceramic underlayer?

I figure that the enamel-lined ceramic dutch ovens, being a lot heavier, would retain and more evenly transfer heat, at least in theory. Does this sound right, and does it actually result in better cooking? I was also attracted to enamel because I know that they can last basically forever, since I have relatives with very old Le Creusets that are still functional. Do the cheaper brands of enamel last as long as Le Creusets, though? (LCs seem to be the most expensive).
>>
Unless you're putting together your wedding registry, asking for bar mitzvah presents, or have settled down and have the money to buy nice things, I'd just go for a cheaper enameled cast iron.

Le Creuset is nice, but is more of a status symbol; functionally it's not going to be much different than an enameled Lodge, which will cost around one tenth of the price.
>>
>>7202846
I make lots of things with a dutch oven (bread, chili, roasts, stews) but would happily go with Lodge if it's reliable. Funnily I think Lodge would get you equal status symbol recognition, they are obviously designed as visual knock-offs of Creusets such that most people wouldn't notice unless you take it to the meetup of your local 4chan /ck/ chapter.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.