[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I make my own Hot Coco without using some shitty powder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: hot-chocolate.jpg (479 KB, 1870x1870) Image search: [Google]
hot-chocolate.jpg
479 KB, 1870x1870
How do I make my own Hot Coco without using some shitty powder in a packet?
>>
Just go to wawa
>>
How do I make hot chocolate not taste like watery shit?
>>
1. Heat up milk
2. Add chocolate
3. Stir
>>
>>7198943
what kind of chocolate? the unsweented stuff you use for baking or what?
>>
cocoa
4 packets aspartame
12 fl oz of water.
spoonful of coffeemate

boil water and cocoa powder together. then pour into a cup with the aspartame and coffeemate

tastes delicious.
>>
>>7198946
>aspartame
>delicious
pick 1
>>
>>7198945
The kind you would eat on it's own
>>
>>7198945
"unsweetened baking chocolate" is roughly equivalent to 60% cacao 'dark' chocolate.

It'll work if you shave it into little bits but buy better chocolate if you can.
>>
>>7198937
Use good powder in a packet. It's just ground coca beans, the best thing you can use for the purpose.
>>
>>7198945
well depends on how sweet you want it to be family
>>
>>7198947
I love hot chocolate but I don't want rotten teeth so this is the best compromise. I bet you couldn't tell the difference.
>>
>>7199042
With so much in there, I can't imagine being able to taste the cocoa at all. Just don't sweeten it. It produces a richer drink. Milk is a bit sweet to begin with.
>>
>>7199047
I use cheap aspartame so that's why it takes 4 packets. Maybe the name brand stuff takes fewer. It needs to be sweet. It tastes like a liquid chocolate truffle.
>>
>bring milk to boil
>throw in a stick of cinnamon and simmer for 5-10 minutes
>remove cinnamon and add dark chocolate, broken into little pieces
>stir until melted
>taste and add sugar as necessary
>>
>>7198945
It's usually chocolate bars specific for making hot coco, at least around here.
>>
File: villarschocolateshavings.png (106 KB, 218x261) Image search: [Google]
villarschocolateshavings.png
106 KB, 218x261
Essentially, chocolate + emulsifier of your choice.

Or unsweetened shavings that already have an emulsifier. (pic related) From there, add whatever amount of sugar and spices you want.

Either way, you need an emulsifier and most products use soy lecithin for that.

You can buy soy lecithin by itself, by the way. Bob's Red Mill even makes some.
>>
File: colombian chocolate.jpg (69 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
colombian chocolate.jpg
69 KB, 650x433
>>7198937
I live in Florida, another hispanic outreach of the Caribbean. If you have access to a great hispanic/spanish/mexican or even better, like a Nica or Colombian source, you find their chocolate bars specifically made for hot chocolate. From Ibarra to Luker, these bars are s. american chocolate (different species than european chocolate and more robust and chocolate liquer flavors), and they are presweetened with their delicious unrefined dark sugar that adds a bit of vanilla, sometimes they also have almonds (rare nowadays). Anyway, you dissolve them in hot milk (I microwave a finger of chocolate in a mug with preheated hot milk about 20 seconds combined and it's stirrable enough). But, when doing a larger batch you traditionally whirl it up in a blender or use some wooden whisk device (every country has one traditional one).

AMAZING. Anyway, whole milk, or do a touch of cream. I sometimes pour a little espresso and make it my caffeine and my morning chocolate.

When you find a great selection in a market, you'll see they sell variations, extra dark and sweet, touch of cinnamon, and other choices. The least delicious is the most common, Abuelita, but only because Luker dark is my favorite.
>>
Cocoa powder, milk (whole!), and some sugar.

Heat the mixture until the milk is almost simmering but no hotter. I use a wire whisk to whip the whole mixture.

It's seriously really fucking easy.
>>
File: cocoa-powder.jpg (55 KB, 443x267) Image search: [Google]
cocoa-powder.jpg
55 KB, 443x267
use nice pure cocoa powder like in pic and some brown sugar, then add vanilla or cinnamon or whatever spices you like

i use green & black's cocoa and sugar, about 1 tbsp and half of each in a mug and it's delicious
>>
>>7198945
Anything 50-60% should work. I like Noi Sirius 53%.
>>
>>7198945
I use Droste but Hershey's is okay if that's all you have.

>>7198942
Don't put water in it.
>>
File: Cocoa powder.jpg (253 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Cocoa powder.jpg
253 KB, 1600x1200
>>7199525
>>
>>7199527
Hershey's should be worried, they are ripe for losing the American market to someone who actually makes good chocolate
>>
>>7199527
hershey's sells a dark cocoa powder, but it tastes awful. I'm willing to bet most dark cocoa powders taste rank. Regular hershey's cocoa powder is perfect for hot cocoa.
>>
>>7199556
Their dark cocoa powder is their "dark chocolate" equivalent. It's not real cocoa and doesn't taste like real cocoa.
Get a decent tin of real cocoa powder and use that. Guarantee it'll be a better experience.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1oZAmeO_Qk

Uploaded earlier today
>>
>>7199527

You retard, hershey is natural cocoa and the other two are dutched

>>7199544
>>7199556

The plain cocoa powder is as pure and well made as any other cocoa maker, but it is not dutched which means it tastes weird to yuropoors.

>>7198937

2:1:4 Sugar:cocoa:milk

mix the powders together with 2/3 cup of water, bring to a simmer(tempering in solution) and add the milk. whip until it comes up to temp; do not let the milk boil.

>wa la!
>>
>>7198942
Use milk. Don't use swiss miss
>>
>>7198937
Cocoa powder + Sugar + something else you like (for example: caramel, or Cinnamon or something).
>>
Heat up a little milk/cream with dark chocolate in a pot, whisk together once the chocolate starts melting with some sugar, whisk in more milk until you reach the desired colour of brown, adjust sugar, heat to drinking temp give one more whisk and consume.
>>
>>7199583
Why are you going by the different names they use? Check the percentage cacao in the package. I have a Hershey 100% cacao package. The ingredient label only says cocoa. That's what you should be looking for
>>
>>7199158
Yes, emulsifiers are very important in getting cocoa powder into any non-oil liquid. They also make it very easy to make a foamy chocolate milk by shaking milk+cocoa mix in cocktail shaker, or blending it.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.