[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mashed Potatoes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9
File: mashed potatoes.jpg (175 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
mashed potatoes.jpg
175 KB, 580x326
So I'm going over my Aunt's for Christmas dinner tomorrow and am going to make mashed potatoes. I'm also making a mushroom gravy to put on top of them.

Let's hear everyone's way to make their own creamy, delectable, mashed potatoes!
>>
File: 12410011_0_640x640.jpg (66 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
12410011_0_640x640.jpg
66 KB, 640x640
>>
Peel, dice, boil potatoes.

Put in stand mixer with paddle attachment on low and add a couple pounds of butter, heavy cream until you like the consistency, a bunch of chopped chives, salt and pepper to taste.

If you know what mashed potatoes are supposed to look/taste like it's not difficult.
>>
>>7198877
Well I know how to make mashed potatoes man...

I was just wondering if anyone did anything different. I'm drinking now and got bored so I've been googling. I've seen people put cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, all kinds of different shit.

I'm going to the store in a little bit because I need a bag of potatoes so I figured I'd kill some time and see if anyone had any different suggestions.
>>
>>7198869
First time I made them was a month ago. Followed Alton's recipes and added more garlic and butter. Turned out amazing.
>>
Potatoes + butter + grated nutmeg + salt. I think it gets creamier and fluffier without milk or cream, while with milk and cream it gets more consistent, better for filling.
>>
>>7198886
His recipe does look delicious, maybe too strong flavored but I'll try it once.
>>
My grama makes great mashed taters. Think she puts a bit o sour cream in there. Leaves em kinda lumpy
>>
>>7198869
Peel, cut, boil, put heavy cream, milk, sour cream in a separate pan to simmer while potatoes are boiling. Drain potatoes, add pan contents, mash with masher, add pepper and little bit of garlic powder. Fuck salt.
>>
>>7198869
Use starchy type potato, like a russet. Do not peel or cube. Boil whole with skin, test with fork for doneness. After they cool some, they'll peel easily. This is all about not losing those free starches in the water and getting water in the potatoes. Yes, it takes a bit longer, but it tastes 2x better. Mash. Always add butter first. It binds to those starches. Then add cream or whole milk. If you're adding low fat, why bother? The butter/potato starch emulsification now will accept the cream better. It will be creamier than adding in a different order, less likely to separate, too. Salt and pepper to taste. Add other shit if you like to add other shit.
>>
i slow fry a big handful of garlix gloves while the spud boil, its q/d roasted garlic flavor. lots of salt and pepper and a sprinkle of parmesan.

for myself i make em pretty /fit/ with skim milk and a pat or two of butter -extra liquid and really whip the shit out ofthem.

for party potatoes I go all out, at least a stick of butter, lots of cream, scallions, the garlic, top with cheese and bake it brown. its good but you're gonna die young eating my party food
>>
File: 20151224_144441.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151224_144441.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Time to make the mushroom gravy for the potatoes
>>
If you want a really good mashed potato recipe OP, just go to JewTube and search for southern mashed potatoes and find the first video with a black person making them. They probably won't be the healthiest thing in the world for you, but it'll taste good as fuck boy I tell you twhat
>>
File: 20151224_150743.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151224_150743.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Mushrooms cooking down
>>
>>7199079

You gonna use any Browning in your gravy recipe, or just leave it a natural color?
>>
>>7199093
Like what? I'm gonna add the flour and cook a few minutes then beef stock. What else would I do?
>>
File: 20151224_152054.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151224_152054.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Time for flour
>>
File: 20151224_152411.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151224_152411.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Little bit of stock then gonna add the rest
>>
File: 20151224_152459.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151224_152459.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Now to bring to a simmer
>>
File: 20151224_153113.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151224_153113.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Bubbly goodness
>>
>>7199097

Literal Browning. Helps make gravies darker plus adds a little extra seasoning. See a lot of people use it because they prefer darker gravies than lighter ones.
>>
So the gravy is all done, but the problem is the beef broth I used was salty as fuck. So now I need to somehow tone down the saltiness in the gravy. Any ideas?

I was thinking maybe a little sugar or some vinegar?
>>
>>7199109
I hope you used some Knorr stock pot in there, anon.
>>
>>7199269

You'll have to make your batch larger if you want to turn down the saltiness. Basically, you need to add more water mixed with flower. It'll increase the volume of your gravy, keep the consistency, and dilute some of the salt. Adjust your spices as necessary.
>>
The best way is to just bake the potatoes, then scoop out the inside and put through a ricer, then add hot milk and butter to suit your taste. Ricer step is optional, but this way is actually less effort than boiling as you don't need to peel anything. You are also not adding any additional moisture by boiling.
>>
>>7199297
Well what's done is done. If I can't somehow fix it a little I just won't bring it tomorrow. I'm not making a whole new batch because fuck that.

Any ideas for what to do with what I have? It's not exactly a salt bomb, but you do have it hit you right when you taste it.
>>
>>7198869
I'm more interested in the gravy. How are you going to make it? Are you going to de-glaze from a roast? Gravy pack, or stock reduction?
>>
>>7199316
You could just scroll down the thread
>>
>>7199308

I didn't mean for you to make a new batch, I meant for you to actually use what you have now and fix it by adding water+flour to it. Probably 1 cup will do.
>>
>>7199308
Your options:
Dilute it with heavy cream or half and half. Water in a pinch.
Add a small amount of sugar.
Add browned onions. Add garlic. Add both.
Add sherry or cognac. White wine in a pinch.
You're looking more for flavor masking than actual reduction in saltiness.
>>
>>7199269

sugar will help balance it , but add a pinch at a time, you really don't want it to taste sweet at all.

It's probably gonna be fine, ppl will be putting it over big heaps of bland mush and plain roasted meats. Gravy is supposed to be strong tasting
>>
>>7199385
If I do that I'm going to have to put the flame back on and cook it down right? I added 3 heaped Tablespoons of flour when i made my roux.

>>7199387
I was thinking about a pinch of sugar or some kind of acid to help.
I already added garlic and onions to the butter and browned before I put the mushrooms in to wilt down. Also i don't have any wine in the house.

>>7199400
Was thinking about using sugar, and I guarantee the ham we are having at her house is going to be anything but bland lol. Also, I'm making the potatoes so they aren't gonna taste bad either.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.