[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grocery store sushi Yes or no?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: Snapchat-4278044646158111253.jpg (754 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4278044646158111253.jpg
754 KB, 1440x2392
Grocery store sushi

Yes or no?
>>
>>7198779
fuck off,weeb
>>
>>7198779
From a Western store: No. From a Japanese or Korean store: Yes.
>>
https://youtu.be/pPY91NNt3ys
>>
only before noon andvonly if it has the computer generated label seal showing today's date.

sushi really isnt complicated at all but i dont trust supermarket seafood prep too much
>>
Usually not, simply because of how overpriced it is for the quality.

OP's pic looks pretty good though.
>>
>>7198808
Bought it at kroger
>>
>>7198808
>OP's pic looks pretty good though.

Not sure if serious. Non-uniform shape, soggy as fuck rice (bet it doesn't even have vinegar), wasabi looks old.
>>
>>7198814

Rice on the salmon maki looks fine. Don't care much about uniform shapes, as long as it holds together. The fish looks pretty low grade, but there's a good ratio of fish to rice. People would return it if they didn't season their rice.

Yeah, it's grocery store sushi, so I guess I immediately rate it differently.
>>
Publix's stuff is pretty okay. Seems pretty similar, same container even. But the stuff I get from Publix seems to be very slightly better quality.

The only problem is I go there after work, after the Sushi guy has left and only have to pick from what's left. Usually stuff covered in sauces.

Tuna and salmon with roe and mango was pretty fucking good though.
>>
>>7198871

HEB is fucking shit. Kroger is based. Wegmans is based. But HEB is Mexican shit.
>>
It really depends on what grocery store, my local grocery store (Zehrs) puts out sushi in plastic containers that looks like the saddest thing ever with browning cucumber and avocado falling out of rattily cut 3-4 dollar rolls and the fish is sliced paper thin.

But on the other hand my local Fortinos actually has a counter full of Asian guys turning out sushi fresh every day at lunch and it looks and tastes decent.

I'm more of a quantity guy though so I usually just go to a buffet and ram eight rolls down my throat so I'm not exactly a connoisseur.
>>
File: 1450743843548.jpg (21 KB, 534x518) Image search: [Google]
1450743843548.jpg
21 KB, 534x518
>>7198948

>he lives in Canada
>>
problem with these are the rice always tastes like shit because its cold
I never understood why people buy these
>>
Publix sushi isn't too bad, but I would never get raw-fish sushi from them.
I only trust raw-fish from a sushi bar where they make it on order.
>>
For some quick shit appetizers yeah sure, nothing wrong with the cali rolls or tuna.

For actually enjoying sushi, nah, go to an actual sushi place.
>>
>>7198779
>tfw the grocery store sushi in Japan taste better than most of the sushi from restaurants in the US
>>
>>7198779
no.
>>
>>7198779
No
There's a place near me where you can get cheap made to order sushi.
Call in and a guy behind a hole in the wall will make you what ever is on the menu
A plain tuna roll is $3
>>
>>7198793
Did he say 15 or 50 years?
>>
>>7198793
haha. Trader Joes worse than 7-11
>>
>>7198779
Yes

I buy it when i go to Mitsuwa or Nijiya. Sometimes I get their ramen or curry dishes.
>>
>>7198808
This. If you're in a fucking hurry, just call ahead to any random sushi restaurant.

Grocery store California roll ~ $5-8
Restaurant price ~ $4-5
>>
the stuff I've had from grocery stores has been pretty good.
>>
>>7198779
A few years ago, yes. Could get some for $5 even
now? no. Over $8 for less food.
>>
>>7198781
WHITU PIGGU
>>
>>7198779
only cucks eat sushi

so back to the shed you degenerate
>>
I don't know about other frys, but the local ones here have a sushi bar which isn't that bad actually.
>>
>>7198779
Totally depends on the store, who's making the sushi, and whether or not they make it fresh all day or not. Nearly every grocery store around here (I live in NorCal) has sushi, but I only will buy it from my local Safeway because they have an actual sushi bar in the store, with japs making sushi and sashimi all day. It's good, too. Not as great as the good sushi restaurants around here, but still good enough that I eat it for lunch a couple times a week.
>>
>>7199944
>japs
More like vietnamese or chinese with name tags that say Yoshi or Tanaka
>>
>>7199964
That made me chuckle
>>
>>7199743
>>
>>7198779
i work at a grocery store and they have sushi place called "hissho sushi" guy gave my friend and I some sushi for free since it was going to expire tomorrow. It was not bad, but I am glad I barely put wasabi sauce on my sushi rolls, I put slightly too much and I turned into the biggest bitch ever. My nose was like wdf bro.
>>
>>7198793
If I was that guy. I'd shave my head bald
Like his hair situation is weird as fuck
>>
>>7200250
Real wasabi doesn't rape your nose as much as fake wasabi since fake wasabi is horse radish and not the actual wasabi plant.

But I bet if you have a stuffy nose, fake wasabi would help a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XTncCmFabM
>>
>>7199964
Some stores have a "sushi chef" come in house and make them in the morning and then leave to the next store in the chain. I met one once and she seem like a real Jap. But I wouldn't doubt it if there are Koreans or Chinks in the game also.
>>
I ate an entire Fiesta Tray from HEB today

Not worth $20 desu
>>
Market Basket in NE....actually very decent. Chefs making that shit right in front of you.
>>
>>7198779
In Utah, some grocery store sushi are actually better then the mayo slather nugget from resturants.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.