[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christ I love americanized chinese food. Lets have an americanized
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: o.jpg (188 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
188 KB, 750x1000
Christ I love americanized chinese food.

Lets have an americanized chinese food thread.

This is the lunch specials from my favorite place in town. What would you order?
>>
>>7198081
Double bacon chs
>>
>>7198081
Garlic chicken, egg fried rice yop
>>
>>7198081
American Chinese food > Authentic Chinese food

Neither is bad, but the American shit is better
>>
>>7198209
>Americans like food that has been altered to suit American tastes, more news at 11
>>
>>7198213

>Americans dont like deep fried dog, stir fried cat, boiled rat, salty hamster, more news at 11
>>
>>7198081
I'll have the orange chicken as my entree
then lemon grass chicken as my side dish
general tso's chicken for dessert
>>
>>7198209
>>7198410
I live in Taiwan and this is simply not the case. I would definitely take Taiwanese popcorn chicken over what they use in General Tso's, and the deep-fried oyster pies here are pretty damn good.

There are certainly days when I miss not-Chinese food, but that's because that kind of food is mostly just American seasonings with soy sauce added to meat and vegetables in a wok. I think if you actually tried Sichuan garlic-pepper lamb you'd find it pretty suitable even to an American palate, unless you're a pussy and can't handle basic amounts of spice.

but desu authentic Viet food is better than both.
>>
File: asshole.jpg (19 KB, 244x312) Image search: [Google]
asshole.jpg
19 KB, 244x312
General Tsos is my current favorite. Some restaurants use less broth and more corn syrup in their sauce, but the one I get mine from is pretty awesome.

New England chinese food has some unique differences that are so much better than in other states (including my current residence).
They make hot mustard fresh and throw it in with your order along with an apple based "duck sauce" that is just perfect on everything. They use a red sauce made from corn syrup, salt, msg and garlic on all the pork--pic related, it's sold in local grocery stores in NE.

Americanized chinese food is based on old, celebratory or overly special meals only enjoyed by some rarely. Then we added some new-world flair with things like sugar and MSG.
It's undeniably good tasting. It's undeniably unhealthy, but so are most of the things as good as chinese food.
>>
>>7198455
>old, celebratory, or special meals
actually you can find sweet and sour pork any equivalent of Denny's in Hong Kong, and it's one of the worst foods you can find anyway.
>>
>>7198081
>Try to identify plates from pictures on menu

...but...all rook same!
>>
>>7198436
Chinese soy sauce is shit. How hard is it to add wheat?
>>
>>7198472
we have Maggi too
>>
File: 7ada4467.jpg (275 KB, 764x1024) Image search: [Google]
7ada4467.jpg
275 KB, 764x1024
It's pretty god-tier drunk or hangover food, this whole thing was $6

>that lone broccoli
>>
>>7198081
Need me some of dem fried prawns.
>>
>>7198081
>>
>>7198081
I fucking love how cheap it is.

Although when I want to splurge, I go to this szechuan chinese restaurant. Their pepper duck is delicious but it's $13 before tax/tip.
>>
>meat dish is poor quality meat in cloying sauce; 4/5 veggies to meat ratio
>fatty, greasy, yet tasteless noodle
>no variety, as all places serve almost the exact same dishes
>no desserts
>expensive
I hate how all the Americans go for the most vanilla stuff like General Tao's or fucking chicken balls as if the other stuff is extremely oriental and exotic.

That said, Chinese places make fried rice like nothing else.
>>
>>7200242
>he doesn't go to SE Asian restaurants for his fried rice
the rest of your shit is spot on. chicken and beef injected with tenderizing agents, corn syrup, heinz, and corn starch slop, lack of any seasoning from the East beyond soy sauce which is basically a western condiment at this point

>but real Chinese is just fried dog and grilled balls hurr
- t. flyover
>>
>>7200277
I find Chinese place rice better than se Asian place rice honestly.
>>
Can someone explain the differences flavor-wise between the chicken dishes please?
>>
>Americanized
It's the fucking Vietnamese. They make the same shit at home all the time. They never even integrate with the American population, so I don't think it's our fault they do this. Every Viet I know is a rude pig.
>>
>>7200242
>Chinese places make a chinese dish like nothing else
???
>>
>>7198081
>Christ I love fried alley rat with HFCS sauce
>>
I'll take the sesame chicken with general tsao on the side and an order of steamed rice please. Tbh senpai.
>>
>go to only chinese restaurant in town in backwater flyover land
>talk to owner for a while
>find out they're actually cambodian
>mention that I like kung pao
>"so do I but we don't sell that here"
save me from this midwestern hell
>>
>>7203027
>He doesn't put MSG on his fried alley rat!
>>
Is there a good cookbook for americanized chinese food?
>>
>>7198470
It's so depressing. Just a big plate of fried brown.

Am I the only Murrkan who actually prefers white rice, and not for health reasons? And vegetables that haven't had all the color cooked out of them?
>>
>>7198081
Probably egg rolls and fried rice.

Hard to fuck that up.
>>
>>7204678
You've never had dry, overcooked egg rolls from the local chinky? It's the most depressing thing you can possibly eat.
>>
>>7204678
went to a chinese place that did fuck up the fried rice once. it was like... clumpy and too moist.
>>
>Not having god-tier ginger beef

Canadianized Chinese food is way better
>>
>chicken in foil
>>
>>7204644
99% of 'chinese' cookbooks in english and printed/sold in the US is americanized chinese.
>>
No lo mein for the lunch special? Not even any Mongolian beef? Get this bullshit out of here anon.
>>
>>7198081

number 18 and a small egg drop soup, all to go please
>>
File: Gutter oil is good for you.jpg (39 KB, 448x313) Image search: [Google]
Gutter oil is good for you.jpg
39 KB, 448x313
I wonder if American Chinese food places are importing their cooking oil.

Hmmmm.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil

>It is estimated that up to one in every ten lower market restaurant meals consumed in China is prepared with gutter oil

>>7198436
>I live in Taiwan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Taiwan_food_scandal

>2014 Taiwan food scandal
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.