[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
nog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
how do I not fuck up homemade eggnog?
I tried making some last week and the eggs cooked into scrambled eggs. still ate it but it sure wasn't eggnog
nog general I guess
>>
don't cook the eggs.

nobody will die. Nobody will know. It's the only real way.

Also, this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2.html

I make it every year -- v good.
>>
>>7197578
What? You cooked the eggs?
>>
File: almondnog.jpg (49 KB, 840x525) Image search: [Google]
almondnog.jpg
49 KB, 840x525
>egg nog
>2015
almond nog is the next big thing, get with the times
>>
>>7197668
Nobody wants salmonella on Christmas day.
>>
>>7197954
Only the weak can catch salmonella, just do it.
>>
Buy the freshest eggs you can find and wash the shell before cracking them open. And with that no one will get salmonella. No cooking required.
>>
I'm curious how you cooked them. If you whisk constantly and don't overheat them, about 170-180F, it shouldn't scramble.

You should try buying those cartons of pasteurized whole eggs though, then you can make more traditional egg nog.

>>7198016
It's not just on the shells. Don't spread misinformation, anon.
>>
wat kinda alchool should i buy tonight guys

a spirit i can mix with soda or juice or something cos im a PUSSY
>>
>>7198042
Well, what do you have to mix it with?
>>
>>7198042
amaretto
>>
>>7198045

nothing atm

theres a supermarket about 20m~ from the alcohol place

>>7198047

noted but not taken on board
>>
>>7197622
>http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2.html
So this is the first holidays where I am old enough to drink with my family, they're a conservative lot so they wanted to wait.

You think alcoholic eggnog would be a good way to introduce the idea of me drinking casually to my grandparents?
>>
>>7198048
Woops, sorry, forgot to came back to this.
Okay, what do you *want* to mix it with? what's the soda/juice/whatever you want as a base?
>>
>>7198075
pretty good way, it's pretty unobtrusive as far as alcoholic drinks to have in your hand. just don't get drunk and it'll barely register to them, maybe
>>
>>7198079
That's what I'm thinking. I'm not going to get sloshed, just a light buzz. Perhaps not enough to be really noticeable.

Really it's just my grandmother left anyway, all my other grandparents have passed on. Real shame too, I was looking forward to have a drink with my grandfather on christmas. It's the only time of year he has a beer. Had a heart attack in church last summer, good a place as any I suppose. The other two went back when I was in highschool.
>>
>>7198086
I'm sorry for your loss. I've already lost all of my grandparents already, never got a chance to interact with any as an adult. Cherish that grandmother, I hope it's a wonderful Christmas.
>>
>>7198076

im just gonna get the cheapest spirit i can find and some good qualityt juice desu
>>
>>7198035
>It's not just on the shells.

But some of it is on the shells, right?

So cleaning some of it will reduce the chance, so it will help. It won't totally eliminate the possibility, but it will help.
>>
File: 1416766301427.jpg (373 KB, 809x1532) Image search: [Google]
1416766301427.jpg
373 KB, 809x1532
>>7197578
>the eggs cooked into scrambled eggs

Don't cook them.
>>
>>7198016
>>7198111
Sure, then you end up poisoning everyone when you gett disinfectant and bleach in your egg nog.
>>
>>7198016
USDA recommends against washing the shells, since they're already stripped and bleached.
Washing them will let moisture soak into the shell, giving salmonella a pathway into the egg.

Yuropes should wash their eggs though, since they're raw.
>>
Chef John posted a eggnog recipe this week that is pretty straightforward and tasty. https://youtu.be/RWIYCGVTNLM

But eggnog is not common in Brazil. I guess one with rum and brandy will taste even better.
>>
>>7199027
What the fuck? So they wash eggs to prevent salmonella, and end up with eggs that can end up absorbing salmonella through the shell simply by getting wet?

With regulatory bodies like that, it's no wonder libertarianism is so popular over there.
>>
>>7197578
you have to temper the eggs in preparations like this

meaning, when you heat up all the hot wet ingredients, don't just dump the eggs into the pot. they will cook like chinese egg drop soup. instead, take a small amount of the hot liquid, put it into the eggs, and mix it around. do this a few times. then the egg mixture will be hot enough that it can be poured into the pot.
>>
File: 1444820084055.jpg (78 KB, 640x533) Image search: [Google]
1444820084055.jpg
78 KB, 640x533
>>7199041
> Italy
> Grandma 90 yo never got salmonella by using raw eggs almost daily
> Dad 61 yo drink raw eggs since was a kid never got salmonella
> me 31 yo randomly eating and drinking stuff with raw eggs never got salmonella

also i wash eggs only if there is visible chikenshit on it
>>
>>7199041
Eggshell is permeable to moisture no matter what country you're in, retard.

Europeans tend to leave the natural cuticle on the egg, which prevents moisture from penetrating the shell but means the egg itself is fucking filthy.
>>
>>7199215
So, in other words, what I said remains true and you're angry about it.
>>
>>7199114
Does hair loss run in your family, by any chance?
>>
>>7199248
only me and my grandpas, why ?
>>
>>7197622
>don't cook the eggs.
This, if you're paranoid you can obtain pasteurized eggs.
>>
>>7199268
Regular consumption of raw eggs is supposed to inhibit biotin, a deficiency of which can result in hair loss.
>>
swecuck here thinking of making eggnog for my family tomorrow, we've never tried it. But everyone in my family including myself are sober, is there any substitute for brandy, rum or any other spirits?

I was thinking of buying pic related, it is basically a concentrated rum flavoring, will it suffice?
>>
File: romarom[1].png (98 KB, 148x380) Image search: [Google]
romarom[1].png
98 KB, 148x380
>>7199403
forgot picture
>>
>>7199403
>>7199408
Well, it's the closest you'll get to real rum...
>>
>>7199403
You know you don't need to add anything to eggnog. It's damn delicious by itself.
>>
>>7199485
He is specifically talking about removing something from eggnog, and trying to substitute it.
>>
>>7199487
But eggnog doesn't have alcohol, so why remove it?
>>
>>7199403
You can drink egg nog without adding alcohol bro
>>
>>7199509
Eggnog does have alcohol, though.
Specifically brandy since it is a variation of the Posset, which had wine.

Rum and later Bourbon were substituted here in the Americas since it was cheaper and more common.
>>
>>7197954
its only because american egg farms are shit tier. even rural places don't worry about raw eggs cause their chickens aren't stomping over dead carcasses.
>>
>>7199540
Chickens are disgusting creatures in every country, the only difference is europe vaccinates theirs.
>>
>>7199523
Well the stuff I buy in Canada doesn't have alcohol.
>>
>>7199720
Then the stuff you're buying is bottled mocktail.
>>
>>7199523
>Eggnog does have alcohol, though.
>Specifically brandy since it is a variation of the Posset, which had wine.
>Rum and later Bourbon were substituted here in the Americas since it was cheaper and more common.
Nice rehashing of the false history on wikipedia.

Just because ancient drinkers made milk beverages doesn't mean they had anything to do with eggs, or eggnog. Stop.

It's an American invention in itself, as it is served today. And, it was made with _any_ alcohol, and isn't traditionally one thing or another, from rum to brandy. It was simply fortified to be potent.

On an actually culinary note, the issue with many storebought eggnogs is that they are assuming you will be drinking it straight up, and as such make fake rum flavors, fake nutmeg toppings, and ungodly amounts of sweetness and phony vanilla.

The absolute best eggnog I've ever tasted is in the South at drive-through dairy places called Farm Stores (though Wawa does the closest job). This white eggnog is as thick as already set pudding, and when you add the liqueur, it isn't overly thinned out. It's got fresh egg and fresh cream flavor, and it is actually a fresh produce with a short shelf life of only a week. When you grace it on top with your own freshly grated nutmeg, its pure luxury whether you used your sweetest aged rum, or not.
>>
>>7199759
It's just different. I don't even think you can buy eggnog that already has alcohol in it here. For one thing, you can only buy alcohol at the LCBO stores in Ontario.
>>
>>7199762
>It's an American invention in itself

Then explain why the earliest references to it are all in English recipe books.
>>
OP here, my eggnog worked!
didn't have some of the ingredients so I used coconut milk and white rum. It turned out thick and rich. Merry Christmas cu/ck/s
>>
I don't have any eggs but I have milk, cream, and a mostly full bottle of gosling. can I make just nogg?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.