[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cast Iron Cookware
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 11
File: cast iron skillets.jpg (277 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
cast iron skillets.jpg
277 KB, 1500x1125
Does /ck/ use cast iron cookware?
How long have you been using it in your kitchen?
>>
Yes, been using it since I was old enough to cook so I guess 25+ years now.
>>
About 2 years now. Use it most mornings to make bacon/sausage and eggs and will sometimes use it to deep fry things.
>>
for the last 30 years.
same as mom.
same as grandma.
>>
Anyone have that reversable cast iron griddle/grill? Can't get the fucking grill side clean to save my life. All the little grooves are a bitch...
>>
>>7197803
Go to Amazon
Buy the grill pan cleaner thing. It's a thin plastic thing that has two different sized teeth.
Boil water in the pan, then scrape the shit out
>>
Does anybody use those chain mail scrubbers?
Are they any good?
>>
>>7196780
im using the same 100-ish year old cast iron skillets i was using when i was 5, and i plan to use them for at least another 60 years before i pass them on
>>
>>7198340
What are you, 10?
>>
>>7198373
nigga no ones getting these until im dead in the ground

i dont plan on dying until im at least 80
>>
>>7198197
Yeah. Remember to send it on to ten people though, or it won't get your pans clean.
>>
>>7198398
Huh?
>>
File: lazytownnzz.png (48 KB, 256x286) Image search: [Google]
lazytownnzz.png
48 KB, 256x286
>>7198398

why did I laugh at this?
>>
I have an 8 inch CI I use for bacon and steak, but I need to redo the seasoning. Will be stripping it this weekend.

I have a 10 inch Carbon Steel I use as well but it feels much harder to get the seasoning to stick. Any tips? Pic related is what I have.
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 600x551) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 600x551
>>7198584
Just the usual.
Heat it up good, wipe it out with a paper towel and some crisco, repeat 3-4x, done.

Should look something like this.
>>
>>7198398
fucking nostalgia
>>
>>7198398

10/10
>>
>>7198630

Mine looks like the dark part in yours but all over, and the seasoning kinda gets rubbed off when I clean the pan (with a soft sponge/hot water).
>>
>>7198674
Cover the pan in a bit of oil while storing and heat it to the point of slight smoke before using it. You should get a good non-stick surface relatively quickly that way
>>
>>7198674
Sounds like too much oil/crisco.
Maybe you can boil some water in your pan and scrub it down to bare metal and season it again with just a hint of oil.
There shouldn't be any pools or drops of oil and afterwards it mustn't feel sticky or gooey.
>>
>>7198680
You need to salt it first.
>>
>>7198685

I'll redo it. I have one of those wire bristle attachments for a drill, so I'll probably just clean everything out.
>>
I have a 30x48 flat top that is cast iron and I cook virtually every meal in it. Makes frying pans and cooking on a grill over open flame obsolete imo.

I do have a skillet for the rare occasion I cook on the stove...main reason I like it is it lays flat. All my other pans seem to warp into a dome once they get hot.
>>
Asked girlfriend for cast iron pan from Christmas, she has got me an enameled.
What do?
>>
>>7198916
divorce
>>
>>7198916
Enameld cast iron?

> put on stove
> cook delicious meal in appreciation of great girlfriend
> make love to girlfriend
> stop being a pretentious bitch on a Somalian fingerpaint board
>>
>>7198701
That's fine, too.
Just easy with the oil when seasoning it.
>>
I treat my cast iron like shit. I usually use it for frying or making steak. If i want to season it i'll just throw some bacon in it. When it comes to being outdoors you can just throw it right on a campfire and make some food.
>>
I just bought myself and the bf each our own 10.25" lodge skillets

he's chosen to not take off the factory season and reseason it himself, and also does not keep it oiled after each use. I've done all of these things

honestly I think/hope both pans will turn out just fine

Had mine a week now and stuff still sticks but it's less stuff each time
>>
>>7198916
enambled cast irons are great you just have to treat them a little nicer.

grow up.
>>
>>7198916
Chip the enamel off of it obviously.
>>
I have a love/hate relationship with cast iron cookware. I'm slightly OCD and lightly wash out mine with soap and a sponge, so I have to re-season every couple months which is a pain in the ass. Having said that, it works great for the dishes I use it for.
>>
>>7199807
I wash my cast iron with soap and water every time I use it and have never had to fully re-season it.

Either your seasoning sucks or you're using some kind of crazy abrasive soap or scouring pads or something.

Only thing I can think of that I may do differently is after I wash it and mostly dry it out with a towel, I rub in a very light coat of oil on the interior and heat it up over high heat until it starts to smoke a bit, then turn it off and let it cool down before I put it away.
>>
>>7198916
I wish someone would get me an enameled cast iron dutch oven for Christmas. That would be a great present.
>>
>>7199850
Paypal sent!
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1219x771) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1219x771
>>7199166
>>> put on stove
>> cook delicious meal in appreciation of great girlfriend
>> make love to girlfriend
>> stop being a pretentious bitch on a Somalian fingerpaint board

>this post
>>
>get cast iron skillet
>remove factory seasoning
>season it myself
what a piece of shit, what a fucking hassle, I think it's probably worse off than if I kept the factory seasoning.
>>
cast iron is too fiddly, can't take much.

What kind of a skillet should I buy so that I can abuse the surface and get away with it? the mineral stuff?
>>
>>7200044
That's why you shouldn't listen to at least half of the advice given on this board.
>>
File: file.png (99 KB, 401x500) Image search: [Google]
file.png
99 KB, 401x500
>>7200054
indeed. I'm going to buy another one (same exact one) but keep the factory seasoning this time.

Any tips for how to clean it after use without fucking over the seasoning? Do I have to fucking cuddle with it and pet it? can I use pic related with warm water?
>>
>>7200065
I posted earlier about how I wash and oil/heat mine up every time I use it>>7199848

Basically what I do when I get a new cast iron piece with a factory seasoning is wash and scrub it with a plastic brush in soap and hot water, dry it out. Rub it all over with a very thin layer of peanut or corn oil, invert it in a 450 degree oven over some aluminum foil to catch any drops and let it got for an hour. I usually do that 3 or 4 times on top of the factory seasoning to build the initial seasoning.

After that, just use it fairly regularly. After each use, I wash it out with soap and hot water and scrub a little if needed with a brush to get any little crusty bits of food off and then wipe it out with a towel, apply a thin layer of oil and just heat it up over a high burner until it starts to smoke then turn it off and let it cool down.

The real key in my opinion is THIN layer of oil, as in barely noticeable amount of oil to make the cast iron very lightly oily. If the oil is too thick, it will drip or pool up and cause shitty burned spots with thicker areas that will flake off when you use it.
>>
>>7200094
>Basically what I do when I get a new cast iron piece with a factory seasoning is wash and scrub it with a plastic brush in soap and hot water
doesn't this fuck up the factory seasoning? what is the purpose of this step?
>>
File: BLO.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
BLO.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Just got this for christmas and have started seasoning it!
>>
>>7200102
It doesn't fuck it up, just adds to it. A good seasoning is built over years and years or usage, it's not the kind of thing you can just do once and it's done. You have to keep using the pan and building layers of polymerized oil.

Factory seasoning is pretty basic, seasoning it yourself a few times before you put it into regular use gives it more of a head start. Continuing to use it for years to come will just continue to improve the seasoning.
>>
I just started using them a few months ago. Fucking love them! Look into making deep dish pan pizzas if you're into that. Super easy, cheap, delicious, and filling
>>
>>7200094
>After each use, I wash it out with soap
You're a fucking moron
>>
Well my girlfriend also got me an enameled cast iron man, but she 'seasoned' if before hand so I could use it on Christmas day

Now it looks all fucked up, do I just scratch off the season and start again?
>>
>>7200489
You're a dumbass
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html
>>
>>7199163
>>7199163
>girlfriend
>>
>>7200108
Why not use food-grade linenseed oil? Are you sure there are no weird additives in that shit?
>>
>>7196780

Have been cooking with mine for about 12 years. Really nothing like a well seasoned cast iron pan.

What really started me on it was Alton Brown's steak episode-- Steak Your Claim, first ever episode of Good Eats.

It is the absolute best way to sear a steak. Only a professional broiler could come close.
>>
>>7200108
>boiled linseed

I don't know about that anon.
>>
>>7199166

>Somalian fingerpaint board

Fuck off asshole
>>
>>7196780
So for whatever reason, I got my cast iron skillet back and it had like brown shit wiping off. nobody used it when I left it.

I took some sandpaper to a couple of parts and then seasoned over it with Crisco (initial seasoning was flax seed oil)

Haven't tried cooking since the reseason but it seems fine. Anybody know what could have caused it? Again, hadn't used it in like 4 months but nobody else did allegedly either.
>>
Just got a cast iron pan.

It said it was preseasoned but when i used it everything stuck to it. And the surface is really bumpy, not smooth at all. What do I do?
>>
>>7201577
>Seriously being this upset on a Sudanese bugling discussion forum
>>
>>7201563
>>7201449

I read that linseed or flax oil is the best for cast iron? Was I misinformed?
>>
>>7201811
Anything with a high smoke point is fine.
>>
>>7200489
Why? Because I wash my pans? It's a fucking iron pan, not a god damn fragile little snowflake. If washing your pan with soap ruins your "seasoning, sorry to tell you but it isn't fucking seasoned properly in the first place.
>>
>>7201654
Not be an absolute retard and cook greasy foods at least 30 times before cooking eggs. The more you cook greasy foods in it, the bumps smooth out as the oils fill the holes.

>>7201824
More like the soap seeps into the pores and your next dish will taste like soap.
>>
>>7199249
Why would you take off the factory coating?
>>
File: cast iron skiller.jpg (768 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
cast iron skiller.jpg
768 KB, 2048x1536
has anyone restored rusty old cast iron?
what method did you use?
>>
>>7201849
how many spices on your eggs tho?
>>
>>7202330
I just got a metal brush attachment for my power drill and scraped off all the rust and grimy old seasoning, cleaned it off, and reseasoned it.
>>
>>7202330
coca cola is used as a de-ruster for bicycles and other things.
>>
>>7202330
if you don't want to waste money, just put some tartaric acid or citric acid if you have either of those, if not meth spirits or coke, in the pan, then scrub away with tinfoil, sandpaper, and wire brushes.
>>
>>7198630
Are the lines just for decoration? Sounds annoying getting stuff stuck in those grooves.
>>
>>7202330

spray it down with easy off oven cleaner wipe out repeat until rust is gone and re season
>>
>>7196780
>Does /ck/ use cast iron cookware?

Fuck yes

>How long have you been using it in your kitchen?

35+ years

Use flaxseed oil to season it, the chemistry is sound. Google it yourself.
>>
>>7202330

If it's on the surface, it's no big deal. If it's bubble rust, throw it away, it can't be brought back.
>>
>>7201620
The seasoning is composed of oil, it can go rancid and change in texture especially if it was too thick to begin with. Flaxseed oil needs to be coated super thinly, like basically wipe it all off before heating the oiled pan, according to this article: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Flaxseed seems to leave a nice, hard coating but I think it softens over time and could change to a sticky or softer texture. Was yours in storage before you got it back, and for how long?
>>
>>7202928
Saved for future use. I have a box of old rusted cast iron skillets from my grandmother than I'm going to restore using this method:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/how-to-restore-vintage-cast-iron-cookware.html

Thanks.
>>
How do you know when it's time to reseason it?
>>
My skillets belonged to my great grandmother, they were made some time in the 1950s.

They are bulletproof (I do try to treat it well, like my mother taught me before passing away.)

It isn't that hard to maintain if it's had a good start. I see skillets in better condition than brand new Lodge at my local Goodwill.

I use the small one for eggs and sautéing small portions. I use the large one for so much stuff.

Of course i own skillets made of other material too.
>>
>>7201558
How is that the case? I would think that because of the low conduction it wouldn't transfer heat as quickly as an aluminium or copper pan, so be difficult to get a good sear whilst keeping the steak rare. For this reason, I've always viewed cast iron cookware as expensive meme equipment.
>>
Fuck yes, I use cast iron cookware, and I have been ever since I was old enough for my mom to teach me how to cook.
I have about 12 pieces of cast iron cookware, and I use them (by that, I mean at least 2 pieces) every day. My cookware is all either cast iron or carbon steel (carbon steel is great too, everyone should have some of that as well), except for my saucepans and stock pots, which are stainless. Oh, and I also have two anodized aluminum pans, which also perform beautifully.
>>
>>7198630
I thought you had to add oil to season?
>>
File: chain mail scraper.jpg (69 KB, 1000x575) Image search: [Google]
chain mail scraper.jpg
69 KB, 1000x575
anyone use chain mail to clean their cast iron?
>>
My enameled one isn't none stick.
It's easy to clean, but I can't cook eggs on it. More oil or can I season it?
>>
>>7206826
i think you just need some kind of fat, which crisco provides
>>
>>7201811
it's just that your linseed is advertised for wood and not cooking and could have some fucking sketchy ingredients
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-28+at+08.55.25).png (6 KB, 501x51) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-28+at+08.55.25).png
6 KB, 501x51
>>7200108
http://www.jasco-help.com/uploads/general/Jasco_Boiled_Linseed_Oil_GJBLO110_QJBLO114_MSDS.pdf

I would suggest scraping all that off and buying some food-grade linseed
>>
>>7206563
you'd be wrong, just look it up if you seriously have doubts.
>>
>>7202928
>>7202928
>>7202928
>>7202928
THIS.
From experience. Also, make sure to read what she said in the comments section too.
And get the absolute BEST flaxseed oil you can find. I used cheap shit once; it didn't work so well and wasted a lot of my time.
>>
>>7196780
I use it constantly for everything.
They were my grandmother's, over a hundred years old now.
>>
>>7200489
>not washing out your pans and giving them a light seasoning by rubbing it down with oil and leaving it on a lit stove for 3 minutes
If something is stuck on your pan and you can't get it out just by wiping it down with a paper towel or something, wash it
>>
File: laugh-pink-sherbert-photography.jpg (226 KB, 630x421) Image search: [Google]
laugh-pink-sherbert-photography.jpg
226 KB, 630x421
>he uses a cast iron pan with grooves just to make grilling marks on his meat
>>
>>7201849
>what are micelles
>>
>dutch oven
shepherd's pie, biscuits, stews, chili, baked beans, beef roasts, chicken and mushroom, deep frying
>skillets
frittatas, quiches, eggs, bacon, brownies, cakes, steaks, brussels sprouts
>wok (white steel, seasoned)
stir fries, popcorn, some frying
>enameled mini dutch oven
rice, quinoa, oatmeal
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.