[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mellow- Sous Vide thoughts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: mellow-sous-vide-00.jpg (248 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
mellow-sous-vide-00.jpg
248 KB, 960x640
So I found a sous vide that cools food until cooking and can be enabled to start cooking over the internet. The problem is I have never cooked with sous vide before. Initially I liked the concept of being able to prepare food ahead of time and being able to cook it while I am working without the worry of over cooking. Anybody have any experience with sous vide cooking?
>>
File: fag.jpg (225 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
225 KB, 960x640
>>7194602
Meme vide cooking with a memephone app.
>>
>>7194602
never heard of mellow, but the stove top circulator-oven /sousviide oven are typically like 400+ expensive. I would go with an anova the company is a lab materials manufacturer a nd you can just stick it int containers and make it an oven basically probably better quality, the food is pretty damn tasty but i dont have the time for it .
>>
File: 116961.gif.jpg (26 KB, 255x240) Image search: [Google]
116961.gif.jpg
26 KB, 255x240
>>7194619
Thank you for your reply. I was going to pick one up as they were like $130. Where as the mellow is like $350 (pre-order). But like you, I dont have the time for conventional sous vide. Especially if I am preparing from frozen. The only thing that kills me about the mellow isn't the price. Its the fact that I am essentially rolling the dice on a pre-order without any reviews circulating.
>>
>>7194633
>Its the fact that I am essentially rolling the dice on a pre-order without any reviews circulating.
oh then 100% go with anova some old school company that has been doing it forever, the water baths supposedly regulate the temperature better,but not always, but are limited in space and no way to lug that thing around, but could put a water circulator deal in a bag. from my understanding buying one at this point will better perform and come with extra like wifi and stuff better then diy, they have been getting better the past couple of years, i seen one being used, and desu the wfi seemed super gimmicky, if you can garentue you will ave electricity going for the duration of the coiking its kinda pointless, its kindof like presets for people who dont look u recipes
>>
>>7194602
I got an anova and use it a few times a week. The best is using it on frozen chicken breast. Two hours later, it's perfect. No thawing needed. I also use it for salmon but I thaw that first. The food is fully cooked and safe to eat bu you'll want an extra process to give it that grilled taste. Like throw it on a skillet for a minute. The gadget is just a water circulator with a heating element that is temperature controlled. You could just make your own but by the time you gather the parts and assemble it, you would have an Anova. Don't get the type that don't actually circulate the water but come in a nifty self contained unit. Those are shit.
>>
>>7196479
And yes, you don't need wifi or anything gimmicky. I can see if it chills the food until you are ready to start cooking from a distance. Given that the cook time tends to be longer than the microwave. But you can't really ruin most food either if it runs an hour or so longer than needed. That's why restaurants like it. It's not time critical once complete. A steak can sit 2-3 more hours in the hot bath without changing the taste.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.