[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That secret of the Gravy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: gravy.jpg (33 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
gravy.jpg
33 KB, 300x200
give me your best gravy recipes for this christmas.
>>
>>7194510
Man, I just save the water used to bake my meat(about 1 cup), then slowly stir it into a combo of 1 tbsp of flour + 1 tbsp of butter.

It's a faux gravy, and the flavor depends on how the meat and how you season it.

I often use Sazon and Adobo, along with onion powder and garlic. I add pepper after the gravy is mixed.
>>
>>7194510
what kind of gravy?

Sawmill Gravy?
blonde roux+milk+S&P

Sausage Gravy?
sawmill with drippings and sausage in place of butter

Red Eye Gravy?
pork pan drippings (usually ham) + black coffee

Pan Gravy?
pan drippings+stock+wine(optional)+ herbs(optional) finished with beurre maine

Brown Gravy?
Hazelnut roux+brown stock/drippings+demi/veal glace

Giblet Gravy?
Giblets+butter+thyme+shallot+flour+chicken stock or glace+hard boiled egg(optional)

I always suggest finishing gravies(or any sauces) with a pat of cold butter for smoothness, richness, and to help thicken.
>>
>>7194526
Mushroom Gravy?
butter+mushroom+thyme+flour+vermouth+brown stock

Onion Gravy
Onion+butter+flour+sherry+Brown stock+demiglace

Egg Gravy? (though I prefer giblet since it very similar but with more flavor)
Poultry Drippings+flour+poultry stock/glace+ hard boiled eggs
>>
Roast some kind of meat. Remove all the pan drippings, skim the fat from the top. Heat up the pan over the stove with some of the skimmed fat or some butter. Cook some finely chopped onions/shallots/garlic and herbs, scrape up the browned bits in the pan. Dump in some wine or beer or stock to deglaze, let it cook down for a bit, add some stock. Keep reducing until it's the thickness you want, or use some flour or cornstarch slurry to thicken. Add a bit mroe butter right at the end and some more finely chopped herbs to refresh the flavors and of course salt and pepper to taste.
>>
>>7194526
I think he means gravy gravy. None of those things you listed is gravy, go and shitpost somewhere else.
>>
>>7194532
I always cook my flour before adding water. Gets rid of the raw flour taste.
>>
>>7194570

I think you may be retarded. Each of those are a type of gravy and there are many more besides those. In turn each of those can be adjusted in any number of ways depending on a lot of different factors so without knowing what OP was looking for specifically its nearly impossible to help them without covering the basics.

There is no single type of gravy. The most basic recipe would be fond(which in itself is optional)+deglazing agent(stock, wine, pan juices etc)+aromatics(again optional and largely depends on what else is going into it)+ some form of thickening agent(reduction, mounting, buerre maine, roux(of varying degrees and types), slurrys(of varying types) there is no such thing as gravy gravy.
>>
>>7194606
I usually make gravy with a roux when I'm making cream sauces and the like. For pan sauces I normally just reduce it for a while to thicken and mix in some cold butter at the end or I take the lazy way oiut and use a cornstarch slurry. I have had success with flour slurries before too when I didn't have cornstarch. If you simmer it for a while, it cooks off the raw flour taste and works just fine. I still prefer reduction or cornstarch though..
>>
>>7194510
Add a teaspoon of bisto, m8
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.