[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't there more grocery stores like these? This is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
Why aren't there more grocery stores like these? This is how people used to shop and they were fine. Now I have to squint into all these bright lights while commercials blare at me and deal with a bunch of niggers and their wild ass tar babbies. It takes alike an hour to shop and I have to walk for miles just to get from my car to the entrance then walk a mile to the back of the store for milk. What went wrong? These new massive hypermarkets are a living hell, and why are people even buying $500 of groceries at a time anyway?
>>
>>7194054
>These new massive hypermarkets are a living hell, and why are people even buying $500 of groceries at a time anyway?
who does this?
>>
File: Retail-Before.jpg (103 KB, 720x450) Image search: [Google]
Retail-Before.jpg
103 KB, 720x450
>>7194054
Pic related, these places need to burn.
>>
>Why aren't there more grocery stores like these?

Because CAIN'T COMPETE.
>>
>>7194054
There are some stores pretty close to that in some towns in AZ. A couple that I know of are great, most of the rest that I know of are 'meh, at least I won't starve'.
>>
>>7194054
Yes, I long for shopping at a store with very little selection and paying more for everything.
>>
>>7194054
You dont have lil mexican stores or asian markets where you live? Most of them have decent produce, but they are about 10-20% more expensive than the big supermarkets.
>>
>>7194054
A whole bunch of things OP: loosening of anti-trust regulations, improvements in transportation that give an advantage to larger companies, and the restructuring of cities around the automobile.
>>
>>7194054
I live near a similar store, but it is shitty for groceries.
Always wants top dollar for old slimy green-brown meat. Has a habit of collecting the FFA/4-H meat in storage until everyone that is going to sell to them has done so, and then putting it up for sale in one big batch. Problem is most of it is almost a month old by then. All other food is similarly expensive and close to or past expiration.
The non-food side is awesome though.
>>
Well let's see

>can't get the vegetables you want, only onions, shit quality tomatoes even in August, and potatoes of the worst kind
>fresh herbs are covered in mold, if they have them at all, which is rare
>no in-house butcher, terrible selection of meat, no local grass fed options, just grain fed CAFO shit, their idea of "good meat" is the super duper special angus 80/20 chuck in pre-frozen shrink wrap
>frozen sketchy-ass freezer burned farmed catfish for the price of chilean sea bass
>everything is 30% more than it should cost
>their idea of nice things are limited to aidell's pre-packaged sausages and fage CAFO yogurt
>the olive oil on the shelf is "italian" (we all know what that means) and has a bottle date of 2009

Yeah I think I'll pass. If I'm not going to the farmer's market, I'm going to a megastore megachain like Whole Foods that caters to people like me, fuck the little guy. I'm not even kidding.

Op, small little boutique stores work well for specialized inventory, a market niche, and either a long shelf life or a high turnover. Wine comes to mind. Bakeries. A butcher or fishmonger can do well at this, if they are in a good location, have customers willing to pay for the best, know their shit, and have good suppliers.

"General stores" are shit, and deserve to die.
>>
>shop at a shit supermarket because you're lower class filth

>blame the supermarket
>>
>>7194054
Because of economies of scale.

Corporate retail entities like Walmart, Target, Aldi, HEB, Albertsons, Randalls, etc. are all large scale enough that they get better discounts on bulk purchases of goods from their suppliers, therefore they can offer goods to consumers at a lower price which attracts more customers and pulls business away from smaller mom and pop shops. Smaller, independently run businesses simply cannot afford to offer their goods at the same or lower prices than corporations who have the buying power to purchase goods at a lower price.

Smaller stores like this are a novelty these days. Sure, they're quaint and can be more convenient than driving to a larger supermarket further away (depending on where you live) but in the long run, they simply cannot offer their goods at competitive prices with corporations which is why places like Walmart have been so successful at taking over the market.

The average consumer will almost always choose the lowest prices when given multiple options of where to purchase what they're looking for.

It's the same reason why online retailers like Amazon and Newegg are so successful.
>>
>>7194058
That looks like a normal store you sperg
>>
They still have those in upper class areas. Maybe try going outside of the trailer park for once.
>>
>>7194056
I don't go a shopping trip without seeing some fucktard loading their cart up with whatever the fuck is on sale for $.10 cheaper than it is regularly.
also fucking mexican and indian families.
>>
>>7194054

>why can't we be like gold miners in the 1800s outfitting ourselves for a trip to the Yukon?

For the love of god, get fucked.
>>
>>7194054
The kind of people who miss "general stores" are the same neckbeards who think beer is only good if it's bottled by some fly by night with shit quality control and a "funny" cartoon on the bottle
>>
>>7194054
They do. You're just not looking
>>
>>7194054
You realize with more volume = cheaper food
>>
>>7194054
economics of scale forcing out competitors
it's hard for such stores to compete when their prices come nowhere close to the mass market shit
only way for them to exist these days is if they fill a niche
>>
>>7194054

I've been in one small grocery store that didn't have a whole lot on the shelves. While the selection was miniscule, they would special order for you anything you wanted as long as you wanted it by the box.
>>
>>7194054
>Now I have to squint into all these bright lights while commercials blare at me and deal with a bunch of niggers and their wild ass tar babbies.
Leave your basement once in a while, holy shit.
>>
>>7199729
...and wanted to pay through the nose.
>>
>>7194054
>le wrong generation

consider killing yourself
>>
>>7194054
Aggressive marketing won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4yX2rkpBc
>>
>>7199751

It was definitely more expensive. If you were buying more than a few items, it was worthwhile driving to the next town about ten miles away to buy groceries.

That said, the store would do what it could to get what a customer asked. The bigger grocery store in the next town never worked all that hard on special orders.

By the way, at the grocery store in the next town I discovered a rather strange phenomena and have seen it elsewhere since.

They used to still have Puffed Rice. One day I loaded every package of Puffed Rice they had in my shopping cart -- about five packages.

A couple of weeks later, I had finished the Puffed rice and went to the store and again bought every package of Puffed Rice that they had on the shelf. This time it was about ten packages.

That store has never carried Puffed Rice again.

I've also done that with other products including a yellow rice that contained saffron. I bought their entire supply about three times in a row and so they quit carrying it at all.

My guess is that if they don't see it, they don't realize they are nearly out and don't order more. Now, I always leave at least one of the product on the store shelf. So when they go down the aile ordering foods, there is something for them to see that they need more and so they order more.
>>
>>7194115
this desu
>>
>>7201776
i love that /ck/ loves Mr Show
>>
>>7194054
Is this the shop where

1_ You give the grocer a list and he gets it all for you

2_ Small shop with one brand of each thing, limited selection.

Both options are shit.
>>
The grocery store in my town (I live 20 miles out) is pretty small.

But when it changed hands last year and closed for two months for remodeling and renovation, the new owner made sure that the local elderly people were taken care of. She had them call her up and tell them what they needed and she drove over to the grocery store in the next town to get it and delivered it to their house.
>>
>>7194054
There are a ton. They suck, though. Mostly really fucking cheap mass-produced microwaveable food or no-name canned goods, produce that's allowed to go limp on the shelf because they can't afford to throw anything out, overpriced bullshit. etc.
>>
>>7195316
Fucking lol'd
>>
>>7194054
Because it's convenient, cheap, and there is a much larger selection. That said, you'd be better off posting your incoherent racist bullshit on /b/ or /pol/, I'm sure those boards will give you the answers you are actually looking for
>>
>>7203663
>The bigger grocery store in the next town never worked all that hard on special orders.
Probably just your shit grocery store. At the Jewel im working at, the store director encouraged special requests amongst customers and pushed us to tell customers that if we did not have their brand in stock, to fill out a small slip so that it can be ordered later
>>
>>7194054
Those sort of stores still exist, it's just they never get business because they charge $15 for an item you can buy at Walmart for $5. And yet they still stay in business somehow.
>>
>>7194054
>Why aren't there more grocery stores like these?

Because prior to WWII, 80% of Americans lived in rural areas but after WWII, 80% of Americans (eventually) moved to urban areas.
>>
The downside to these old stores is that they tend to close early.

The grocery store in my home town closes at 7 pm. The one in the next town closes at 8 pm.
>>
>>7194054
>I have to walk for miles just to get from my car to the entrance then walk a mile to the back of the store for milk.
So how fat are you that normal grocery stores are just too much physical activity for you to deal with? You know they have scooters available for fat fucks like you, right?
>>
>>7194056
my mother had 8 children including me, bi-monthly shopping trips would routinely end up 4-600 or so
>>
We had a small town grocery store a couple decades ago when our town was only a few thousand people and eventually a safeway, and then later a king soopers and walmart opened within a couple mile radius

that corner store gouged the fuck out of my parents, everything was at least a dollar more, meat prices were doubled and there were only like, 7 aisles of stuff to chose from. mom would always go to albertsons a few miles away because small town grocery stores are shit.
>>
>>7206706
My college town has two open 24/7 and a Walmart about 15 minutes away as well
>>
>>7194115
>I'd rather shop in a warehouse inside of which 70% of the products are processed shit manufactured by the company that ownes the store itself, and marketed as 'value' alternatives because they substitute corn syrup for corn syrup as they knock off an equally trashy product.

Not even kidding the dollar store brand has suitable alternatives for what's on shelf nation-wide big box grocery stores.

Personally I'd rather pay a little more at a smaller shop for quality products. But I can see how a 'variety of selection' can entice those more concerned with how many cents-less an item costs than what ingredients are listed on the back...
>>
the free market killed them off
>>
Capitalism happened.
>>
>>7194054
Fucking this. Neighborhood markets for life; superstores pls go. If I have to use a huge modern market, I try to use a local chain at least.
>>
>>7196359
And all black people steal cards, all mexicans can be found in front of Home Depot, and every white person still wishes they could own a couple of coons to do the laundry. Yep. It's happy times in Stereotypeville, where nothing changes and everything is like you expect.
>>
>>7199761
>everything in the world now is perfect and we should just deal with that, if you think anything used to be better you're just a meme
>>
They're called gas stations now.
>>
>>7194054

Supermarkets have more varieties of food, for lower prices, are open more, etc. They're more convenient and allow you to cook and/or eat more things. Therefore it was natural for local groceries to die off under the pressure of the market.

You can still get local products at the farmers' market, and often the prices and variety are not bad. For everyday things, though, you want to use the supermarket because it is superior.
>>
>>7194054

In college I used to shop at this little family run store called Blackburn's.

They had a fair amount of little off-brand or unusual food items, the kind of things Walmart or Kroger has no reason to keep in stock.

I only bought fresh meat or vegetables a couple of times, and I always regretted it. The quality was all over the place, and it didn't keep for long. The price difference between it and mainstream markets was only +-10%, anyway, not really enough to justify shopping for that reason either.
>>
>>7206742
At a small store I wouldn't need a scooter.
>>
>>7206791
>Personally I'd rather pay a little more at a smaller shop for quality products
That isn't what OP seems to be describing. Small specialty shops that carry hard-to-find or unique items is one thing, what he shows is some small shop in a small town that carries a small and limited amount of products.

The problem with those stores (and I have shopped in those before) is that they don't have good or unique products; they basically buy in bulk from other stores (say, Walmart, as I've seen the Walmart brand in these before), mark up the price and have a small selection of things. Any fresh foods will be hilariously overpriced and, again, of limited variety. There's a reason nobody wants to go to these places and it goes beyond OP's hysterical racist ranting.
>>
>>7207407
But you'd also knock all the stuff off the shelves since the aisles are likely quite narrow. Considering the price mark up for these places you'd end up paying in the hundreds anyway.
>>
This is what happens when humanity crams 7.4 BILLION people onto a finite planet.

What did people think would happen?
>>
>>7194444
Dem quads.
Also
>economies of scale
/thread
>>
>>7208316

In my community, we have a population density of approximately 1 person per square mile. Cattle outnumber people here.
>>
>>7194054
Plenty of niggers at my local Walmart
>>
>>7194054
Because supermarkets have far lower prices and greater selection than pic related. If you want that, then go to an ethnic grocery store in your city.
>>
>>7206791
>I'd rather shop in a warehouse inside of which 70% of the products are processed shit manufactured by the company that ownes the store itself, and marketed as 'value' alternatives because they substitute corn syrup for corn syrup as they knock off an equally trashy product

A bag of potatoes is a bag of potatoes, the only difference is in price.
>>
File: generalstore.jpg (175 KB, 950x668) Image search: [Google]
generalstore.jpg
175 KB, 950x668
>>7196359
>The kind of people who miss "general stores" are the same neckbeards who think beer is only good if it's bottled by some fly by night with shit quality control and a "funny" cartoon on the bottle

Actually I think the people who miss them are the people who've never actually had to shop at them for sustenance, they just see cute pictures like OP's and get nostalgiac for imagined gool ol' days that never existed. Move to Bumfuck USA, thirty miles from a city, and you can still find them. A couple of the early posts in this thread told it like it is: high prices, terrible selection, and anything that can spoil (produce, meats) is sketchy. The owners are sweet and they type in the prices into the register from memory, but Jesus H. Fuck it's inefficient.

Pic related: a real general store from the good ol' days, where you could get flour, canned goods, soap, cure-all tonics, and apples when they were in season. Want bacon? Slaughter your pig, neckbeard.
>>
No you fucking don't, OP. I used to shop at one of these places because it was the only place around. Let me tell you about it.

First of all, if you want spices or anything remotely considered a specialty product, you're not getting it. Ever. Meat, eggs, and dairy comes in once per week in a small quantity. Unless you get their before noon, you're eating vegan for a week. The vegetable selection? There's about 3 different fruits and maybe 10 different veggies. And that shit doesn't keep long. Plus it's expensive as fuck. So you're going to be digging through them trying to find one that's not spoiled.

Seafood? Cheese? Non-existent. You go to a specialty shop for that.

I think >>7211730 is right.
>>
File: aquaks.jpg (16 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
aquaks.jpg
16 KB, 450x450
>>7194054
OP changes his facebook status to suicidal when his store is out of Aquafina Kiwi Strawberry FlavorSplash.

Ask H.C. Smith where the water aisle is. Go on, ask him! He'll be telling the one about the guy who wanted to buy water at the next barn raising.
>>
>>7206791
You sound like a liberal pussy.
>>
>>7194054

Too small. How are all the people I see at Wegmans on a Sunday early in the afternoon going to fit in there? How many of those little shacks would it take to service all the people I see at Walmart or ShopRite on Sunday?

Jesus Christ, that whole fucking store is smaller than the cheese department at Wegmans.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.