[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Someone explain the difference to me between Greek, Turkish,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: dolma-vine leaves.jpg (126 KB, 370x250) Image search: [Google]
dolma-vine leaves.jpg
126 KB, 370x250
Someone explain the difference to me between Greek, Turkish, Cypriot, Balkan, Lebanese, Egyptian and Middle Eastern food.

They all generally feel the same to me.
>>
>They all generally feel the same to me.

Because they're all the same people
>>
>someone explain to me the difference between Swedish, Norwegian and Danish food

The term you're failing to grasp here is 'Mediterranean food'
>>
>>7194026
Eastern Mediterranean*
>>
File: Spanikopita_Greek_dish.jpg (299 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
Spanikopita_Greek_dish.jpg
299 KB, 1600x1071
idk bout the others but greek food is dank as shit. its all mediterranean food, but it seems like greek food stands out among those. maybe not i dunno.

greek might be my favorite regional cuisine. very savory.
>mousakka
>pastitsio
>gyros
>saganaki
>spanikopita

all that phyllo dough man shits so good
>>
>>7194041
Muh nigga
>>
They've shifted borders and bodily fluids enough though out history to spread culture, especially food.

Same climate, same shit grows.
>>
>>7194041
Drooling at that post. Greek food is fucking amazing, especially spanakopita, saganaki and mousakka.

And dolma too, although they're not exclusively Greek as OP >implied. But damn, those Greeks sure make some good dolmades.
>>
man i don't know shit about Greek food, all I know is that a Greek salad is one of the most satisfying things in the world
>>
>>7193993
Before the slavs and ottomans came the balkans and what is now turkey were greece

/thread

Ottomans spread it throughout their caliphate along with a few changes.
>>
File: 1385695545367.jpg (511 KB, 1000x899) Image search: [Google]
1385695545367.jpg
511 KB, 1000x899
Fucking Toronto.

>go to Mediterranean restaurant
>see Iranian dishes
>see Iraqi dishes
>no Mediterranean dishes

This city sucks balls when it comes to food. Unless you like Indian food. Lots of that here.
>>
>>7195089
Mediterranean is code is slang for middle eastern.

Makes it sound whiter

For Greek in TO head to the Danforth or Volo's downtown.

Little Italy and Little Portugal will have another sort of Mediterranean food too.
>>
>>7195089
>Unless you like Indian food.

But then, who doesn't?
>>
File: matrix1.jpg (18 KB, 450x198) Image search: [Google]
matrix1.jpg
18 KB, 450x198
>>7195108
I was in the Danforth a few months ago. Picked a Greek place at random. Disappointing.

Next time I'm there I'll try another. And I'll check out Volo's.
>>
>>7193993

Greeks, Cypriots, and Balkan-ites(?) can use pork if they want to. I'm not usually a big fan of lamb or goat, so I'm really glad when I have that option. They also use shellfish and invertebrates, while cuisines from Muslim countries do not.
>>
>>7194041

cooked spinach is fucking disgusting though.
>>
Egyptian food sucks.
>>
>>7195207
manchild detected
>>
>>7194000
>Greeks are Africans
>>
File: 1450871180059.png (444 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1450871180059.png
444 KB, 800x600
>>7195665
>vegtabels
>>
>>7193993
>Someone explain the difference to me between Greek, Turkish, Cypriot, Balkan, Lebanese, Egyptian and Middle Eastern food.
Greeks have no religious restrictions and will eat pork. This is the main difference. So gyro meat will be juiciest and tastiest blend of meat which does contain pork. They have a unique tzatziki as well, with garlic, cucumber, and thickest yogurt. It is quite different from schwarma sauce, and utterly different from kebab/donar (which originated from the greek gyro before mass production of the skishkebob rotating spit device).
Using the flakiest of phyllo is Greek, and you'll see regional substitutions that sub different dough, or different thicknesses. So, whether filled with custard (with orange flower, pomegranate, rosewater or other essences), or spinach, cheese, meats...the dough will different nation to nation quite considerably. But baklava only varies by nut uses, whatever is more available locally in trade. But, I'm going to say coastline cuisine is a little fresher in vegetables/produce that the arid desert cuisine, just generally speaking, but historically nations blended. Only corfu, I think had no ottoman occupation.
>>
Hey anon. Half Lebanese here. I saw stuffed grape leaves in your pic. The difference between Lebanese and Greek grape leaves is the greek version is way more vegetarian and usually based in olive oil lemon juice and garlic. These ingredients are also used heavily in lebanese cooking, but usually this dish is rice in a tomato base with ground meat (beef/lamb). This may definitely sound biased, but I prefer the heartier taste of Lebanese grape leaves. The greek ones have tanginess going for them though.
>>
>>7195667
>Black Africa is the same as North Africa
>>
File: Pita_gyros.jpg (2 MB, 2434x1761) Image search: [Google]
Pita_gyros.jpg
2 MB, 2434x1761
>>7195695
donner kebab is usually disgusting processed meat
real gyro is the best you can get
>>
File: halloumi.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
halloumi.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
Cyprus has the best cheese
>>
I'll go Turkish for anything related to dough. Spanikopita is a cheap imitation of only a subset of Börek family, which is documented thousands of years back to be eaten by Turkic people in Chinese sources. Heck, stuff between dough is not rocket science anyways.

On the other hand, Turks are trying to claim a bunch of stuff that is obviously Greek as well. Just a general fuckfest.
>>
Halal vs Non-Halal

One donates money to mosques
Other donates money to the local church
>>
All I know is that Egyptian food is generally terrible (dated/visited a girl who studied in Alexandria) and that I'd eat that I'd demolish those stuffed grape leaves regardless of where they came from.
>>
>>7197619
not even close buddy. Baklava and other phyllo pastries like boreks originate from Roman and Greek pastries

see the Roman placenta cake or plakountas in Greek

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placenta_cake
>>
>>7197644
There are records of Börek eaten in Central Asian nomadic cultures, survived through Chinese records because Turks couldn't figure how to write at that time, way before. Romans having a kinda similar dish doesn't make it its precursor. Just look at the references Wikipedia cites on the actual Börek page instead of an article written by a butthurt Greek. Also, best baklava sold in Atina is sent daily from İstanbul. Greek baklava is a joke.
>>
>>7197679

so are you saying a well documented pastry from ancient Greece and Rome that looks very similar to the modern one can't be where it originated from but it definitely originated from Turks because you ate baklava from Turkey that one time and it was good?

get a load of this goy

even in the wiki page for borek, it says the extra thin version of baklava originated in the MIDDLE ages in Turkey, thousands of years after the placenta pastries.
>>
>>7194041
>Spanikopitas

holy fuck I want some so bad right now.
>>
>>7197604
i'll also rep cypriot style stuffed zucchini flower.s

so good
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.