[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to Italy, what are some local dishes I must try that aren't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 13
File: Italy.png (10 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Italy.png
10 KB, 512x512
Going to Italy, what are some local dishes I must try that aren't very well known?

Also, what cooking goods should I bring home? I thought of getting some quality balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and delicious cheeses.
>>
mcdonalds
>>
carbonara con piselli
>>
File: 1437537419774s.jpg (4 KB, 92x125) Image search: [Google]
1437537419774s.jpg
4 KB, 92x125
>>7193694
>local dishes
>going to italy

you want to tell us what part of italy you're going to , or hwat?
>>
Carbonara
Spagbol
Pizza
Lasagna
That's about it. Italian food is massively overrated because of big haired gabagool garlicniggers.
>>
File: plastic_joke_vomit.jpg (23 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
plastic_joke_vomit.jpg
23 KB, 300x199
Honestly you're going to be disappointed. "Authentic" pretentious bullshit is never as good as the delicious version we have here at home, because let's face it: we innovate, while culturally stagnant europe slavishly follows outdated recipes because improving the dish is against "the rules"

Every dish that was invented somewhere else, we improved. Take pizza for instance. Or craft beer.

It's hard for people who have never WALKED ON THE FUCKING MOON to accept, but America is #1, period end of story.
>>
>>7193694
Talk to some locals and ask them what's good and what they would recommend. Stay out of the obvious tourist trap areas.
>>
Casu Marzu
>>
>>7193694
try the cheese and wine, northern italian food is often overrated, you didn't tell us a region so I don't know what to say
>>
>>7193694
Northern Italians are famous for their Sicilian fried chicken and Spanish waffles.
>>
>>7194607
What the fuck is spagbol?
>>7194598
THIS THIS THIS
You fucked up OP.
>>
Sketti
Za
Fetty 'do
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 270x187) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 270x187
>>7195300
this and siryan chateaubriand
>>
If you plan to visit northern italy, try polenta, various stews, and i dunno i cant remember anything else.
Center, try boar, and wild meats in general (now that I think of it in northern italy they make good deer and stuff), seasonal desserts, cured meats, pizza (they make it different based on where you get it).
In the south, if in napoli absolutely try their pastries (babĂ , aragostine etc), their pizza; if near sicily pastries (cannoli for example) , fried stuffs like arancini..
This is all off the top of my head, but I surely missed a lot. My advice is to look for regional foods and ask around like another anon said, or make a quick research on the internet about food in the region you are going to stay. Oh, and dont forget that pretty much every place has some characteristic liquor
>>
>>7195026
This is cheese with maggots in it. Highly recommended.
>>
>>7195322
>>7194607
>spaghetti bolognese
>Italian local dish

Pick but one.
>>
>>7193694
http://www.italia.it/en/home.html
It's too difficult to answer your question OP, Italy is a very heterogeneous country, look here to have more detailed informations
>>
ITT: people without passports give travel advice.
>>
File: pizza.jpg (36 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
pizza.jpg
36 KB, 400x301
pizza pie, natch
>>
>>7194615
Extremely well meme'd.
>>
File: 1449179263089.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1449179263089.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>7194615
>>
>>7193694
Everything. Italy has the best food in Europe imo.
>>
Try regional wines from wherever you go, maybe visit a vineyard if you have time.
>>
>>7194615
I'm not from the US, but I've had your pizza before. It's pretty good, but in a "I know this is crap but it's delicious" sense. Like McDonalds.

>>7195300
>>7195458
Good, Milan is my first stop.

What about things to bring home? Is there some ingredient that I just won't find at home? I thought about buying some pasta or cans or San Marzanos
>>
File: gostyle.png (134 KB, 404x213) Image search: [Google]
gostyle.png
134 KB, 404x213
>>
>>7198359
good things to bring home are preserves and jams, cured meats, cheese.. I'm not sure if there are any in Milan, but sometimes you find shops that sell regional foods and wines, sometimes (like with preserves or sauces) in small jars good for presents or if you are not sure if you will like something or not
>>
File: 1444434869496.jpg (88 KB, 587x443) Image search: [Google]
1444434869496.jpg
88 KB, 587x443
>>7198376
hmmm, bottled sauces and jams. I like it.

Also, I'll rent a car in Milan and drive down to Rome over 10 days, so I cant pretty much stop whenever, so local products are definitely in the list

Anyway, thanks for the input
>>
>>7198359
risotto alla milanese with bone marrow.

don't bring home pasta or cans. i'd suggest some kinds of cheese you don't find home.
>>
Buy some pizza
>>
File: giadacds.jpg (22 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
giadacds.jpg
22 KB, 320x240
My brother was in Italy and he said there's a local dish called "dirty pillows" everybody raved about.

He tried them and said he had "dirty pillows" every night before he came home.
>>
Osso bucco
Chicken liver on Bruschetta (I forget the proper name)
Lardo
Boar Ragu

Pretty much anything. HHHNNNGGGGG haven't been to Italy in too long.
>>
>>7198383
in rome it's hard to find good "typical" restaurants, even for italians, as lots of them are scams for tourists.
you should try some jewish-roman restaurant in the old ghetto. Probably the most famous is Piperno.

Between Milano and Roma there are dozens of cities where you can eat delicious things. If you stop in a random city in Emilia Romagna (Parma, Modena, Bologna etc.) eat tortelli. Then there is Tuscany with many other things.
>>
>>7198383
>I cant pretty much stop whenever

I can*, obviously

>>7198386
>>7198395
>>7198396
>>7198394
That's what I'm talking about

I'll illustrate this board with 10/10 authentic Italian dishes™ in a couple of weeks
>>
File: lindseywalk.gif (3 MB, 493x560) Image search: [Google]
lindseywalk.gif
3 MB, 493x560
>>7198396
>should try some jewish-roman restaurant

oh boy, banned /pol/ tards should be showing up any minute now
>>
>>7193694
depends on the places you'll be going
>trentino alto-adige
german food there, bratwursts and weisswursts are top tire shit, also there's this white sauce that I don't remember the name of, veeery spicy that goes well with meat, they'll likely serve you some together with meat there
>piemonte
pizzoccheri or gtfo
>lombardia
risotto alla milanese is good
ossobuco with risotto is good
>>7198395 bruschetta is singular, bruschette is plural
they're also very good
lardo is basically fat, it goes well with bread
chicken liver coocked with onions
insalata caprese
carbonara
insalata russa
>campania and down
lasagne
pizza
tortellini

in most places you'll find affettato, which literally means sliced
it's thinly sliced meat
you'll find a lot of salame, prosciutto (prosciutto = prosciutto crudo, ham = prosciutto cotto), pancetta, coppa, pancetta coppata (piece of pancetta rolled in coppa), mortadella, bresaola...
if you want affettato go into whatever decently sized store, you'll find a section where the clerks will slice the meat right there (ask for x grams of y)

have fun op
>>
File: cocks.jpg (132 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
cocks.jpg
132 KB, 800x1067
>>
File: Microsoft Scandisk.jpg (414 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
Microsoft Scandisk.jpg
414 KB, 2560x1920
>>
>>7193694
The nicest McDonald's I've ever been to was in Italy. It was two stories tall with salad and gelato bars. The kitchen was entirely stainless steel and spotless. Go get your self an Italian big mac OP, pretty sure it was in Bologna.
>>
>>7198777
across the street from piazza maggiore?
>>
>>7198777
>big mac made out of bologna
fucking eurotrash
>>
>>7198790
He said it was made IN Bologna, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>7198519
Holy shit.

That looks like good food.

McDonalds would make a killing here if they opened up like a Mickie D's Premium line of stores that sold food like this.

Something to compete with Smashburger, Five Guys, etc.
>>
>>7198784
Maybe? Honestly can't remember, I was there when the pope died.
>>7198790
>>7198798
Yes I was referring to the town bologna
>>
>>7194615
While I generally don't like the sentiment, this post is mostly true.

Often, the original way can be a great experience. I love the traditional Neopolitian style pizza.

That being said, a slice with roasted lamb chicken and garlic, with a sweet wine reduction on a thick oily crust is like a bukkake of flavor on my face.
>>
>>7194615
You are an inspiration.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.