[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it safe to cook and eat raw chicken that has been left out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: slime.jpg (208 KB, 1600x1570) Image search: [Google]
slime.jpg
208 KB, 1600x1570
Is it safe to cook and eat raw chicken that has been left out for 24 hours?

How long is it acceptable to leave raw chicken out before cooking and eating it and how long is it acceptable to leave cooked chicken out and safely eat it.

I hate to throw out and waste food.
>>
>>7193450
it smells the chicken and puts it in the garbage
>>
yeah it should be fine just cook it really hot to kill the bacteria
>>
rotten meat is a delicacy in iceland.
>>
step 1: smell it. smells sour? Dump it. Desperate? Rinse it in cold water. Smell again. Still off? Dump it, otherwise spice it up nicely and cook
>>
Room temperature chicken should not be left more than an hour.

24 hours is far too long, i wouldn't risk it.
>>
24 hours is too long sorry op
>>
way too long for the likes of chicken or fish

actually too long for any kind of raw meat
>>
If it smells like shit, no.

If you're iffy about the smell, no.

Otherwise, it's good.
>>
Uh in this case I definitely would not even bother with smell. Chicken is very vulnerable to bacteria and 24 hours is def too long to be left out.
>>
>>7193721
What if his room temperature is 35 degrees F?
Checkm8, atheists
>>
The rule is 4 hours max at room temp.
>>
>>7193450
Is it going to be fine as long as it smells good? Probably
Is it worth getting the shits for if you're wrong? Not really
>>
Ignore these people senpai.

Soak it in vodka for an hour, then sautee.
>>
Honestly, it will probably be fine. I'd chuck it though just to be on the safe side.
>>
I've ... experienced campylobacter jejuni. It nearly caused inflammatory bowel syndrome. You do NOT want it.

Throw it away. It's chicken. It's not worth it, anon.
>>
I never understood it, if heat kills bacteria why does it even matter if you refrigerate raw meats or not? I can understand the importance of refrigerating cooked foods but why uncooked if it's going to be heated? Do some bacteria survive the cooking process?
>>
>>7193839
Stop refrigerating all your meat, just leave it all sitting on the counter until you're ready to cook it and you'll find out.
>>
>>7193861
try this OP and report back next week i'm dying to find out if it's safe thanks
>>
>>7193839
Because bacteria living in it untill the moment you cook it already cause damage and produce toxins that you won't kill because they're not fucking alive
>>
>>7193730
room temp is actually generally defined as 75F
>>
>>7193861
Do it OP

For science
>>
>>7193839
if you heat a chicken long enough to kill the toxins that bacteria leave behind then the chicken is overcooked and will practically be inedible anyway
>>
>>7193839
I don't understand why labs have all this fancy equipment like autoclaves when they can just sterilize their equipment to 160F in their ovens and cast iron pans
>>
>>7193839
>>7193889
>>7193918

This. Bacteria produce toxins. As my serve safe teacher always used to say "when you heat up toxins, you get hot toxins." The heat from cooking can kill the bacteria, but the toxins will remain.
>>
>>7193939
What if they shoot up beef and cattle with more anitbiotics and sodium so their bodies are less hospital for bacterias? That way they bacteria wont make the toxins.
>>
>>7193981
thats not how it works anon
>>
File: kjunclap.gif (2 MB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
kjunclap.gif
2 MB, 219x186
>>7193981
>their bodies are less hospital for bacterias
>>
>>7193450
does it smell really bad? congratulations! you're using millions of years worth of evolution fine tuned to keep you alive, also fire
>>
>>7193996
>>7193939
What if we started slaughtering cows by injecting them with so much sodium that it kills them, those killing two birds with one stone, the cow is dead and ready for the butcher and it's flesh is filled with salt as to stay off germs.
>>
>>7193939
>hot toxins
Good name for a band.
>>
>>7193450
Was it frozen solid when you left it out? Yes? It might be okay, but your nose is your best judge. It was thawed? Not a chance.

Cooked chicken can be left out overnight, but I typically eat it by lunch that day.
>>
I did that once for chicken that was lukewarm for like 9 hours. Cooked it extra thoroughly hoping it would turn out ok.

i didn't get vomiting sick but I felt really fucked up for like 5 days. I'm not even sure there's a word for that feeling other than "something is terribly wrong". Overall highly unpleasant, 0/10 would not do again.
>>
>>7194390
Too close to Hot Topic.
>>
File: lukewarm topic.jpg (116 KB, 625x352) Image search: [Google]
lukewarm topic.jpg
116 KB, 625x352
>>7194485
I could go for a hot Topic right now.
>>
File: a4102220834_10.jpg (726 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a4102220834_10.jpg
726 KB, 1200x1200
>>7194500
I could listen to Hot Tropics right now.
>>
Rinse the chicken, mince it, smells ok cook hot with something strong in tsste
>>
>>7193898
That's a warm ass room. At least up here in Ohio.
>>
>>7196043
>having a room just for asses

Typical Ohio
>>
>>7193630
Any food can be left at room temperature (internally) for up to 4 hours.

Source: California food handlers standard
>>
>>7196432
Geez now I know why Riverside is more strict
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.