[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question on vegetarism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Hey /ck/, recently my sister came from England and while staying there she decided to go vegan. I don't have any prejudice against vegan food but what she made felt like it didn't have much flavor to it. She made what she called 'potato curry' which consists of potatoes, onion, coconut milk , garlic, chick peas and curry powder. Any suggestion on what she could add to the dish besides meat to give it substancial flavor.
>>
Salt, fish sauce or soy sauce, some kind of chili peppers. Also, I'm guessing that the curry powder was just the generic supermarket curry powder. If so, learn how to make your own garam masala and use that instead.
>>
Veg posters should really keep it to one thread.

Check the catalog next time.
>>
>>7192933
When you're used to a good chunk of the flavor in your meals coming from animal products many vegan dishes will seem lacking in flavor. When I went vegan everything tasted like cardboard for two and a half weeks until my taste adjusted. There's a depth of flavor you get from animal products that's very hard to reproduce without them, which is the biggest reason I'm not full time vegan anymore. No reason to be black and white about it is my view. But not everyone shares that view.
>>
>>7192945
I had a discussion with her about veganism and ended proving that even killing humans is normal, but she decided to stick to yer views so there's nothing realy I can do about it.
>>7192939
Spices weren't the problem. We had some authentic ones from our stay in India, but is there a way to replicate the rich flavour(not taste) of meat in a vegetarian dish because it feels so bland.
>>
>>7192959
You can prove whatever you like. It doesn't really undermine many of the reasons someone in the 21st Century First World might choose a plant based (or mostly plant based) diet. Killing aside there are health, environmental, social and aesthetic reasons. Not to mention economic reasons. Hell, it could be something as simple of thinking the way we raise animals under industrialized conditions is gross (because it fucking is), so not wanting to participate in that.

Also most vegetarians make up for the lack of unctuousness by going a little heavier with the oil, which you can get away with if it's your main source of fat.
>>
>>7192959
>proving that even killing humans is normal
No, you didn't prove it. All you did was state it with your shitty "reasoning" as justification.
>>
Vegetarian here. Butter fixes everything. Any dish can be turned around with good quality butter.

But for Vegans? Things like miso, soy sauce, lots of oil, lots of salt, stock made from porcini or shitake, caramalised onions or garlic
>>
>>7193091
>But for Vegans?
Olive and peanut oils do a pretty good job, as does an extra pinch of salt.
>>
>>7192959
>is there a way to replicate the rich flavour(not taste) of meat

First, flavor is taste, so I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Real meat flavor can't really be directly imitated, no matter how hard vegans and vegetarians claim that they can do it. About the closest thing I can think of would be to use something like liquid aminos and maybe some nutritional yeast. Also try putting in some sliced mushrooms to kind of mimic a meaty texture. It still doesn't taste exactly like meat, but then again, it also isn't meat. If you really have to have a real meat flavor, eat some damned meat.
>>
>>7192959
Fish sauce works well in particular, also mushrooms (but don't just boil them, fry them properly).
>>
>>7193414
you realize fish sauce is made of fish right?
>>
>>7193368
Vegan ingredients high in glutamic acid "umami" compounds:
Garlic
Onion
Mushrooms
Red wine
Tomatoes
Tempeh
MSG
Peanuts
Other stuff, probably
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.