[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alcohols
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: drinking problem.jpg (13 KB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
drinking problem.jpg
13 KB, 300x188
So I have been in college/university and been drinking shit. Fermented and/or distilled feces.

What are your favorite beers, ciders, spirits, and cocktails?
I'm a big whiskey/bourbon/scotch guy so good whiskeys are much appreciated
>>
>>7192243
and just so you know how badly off I am:
>I was taught Jack is the best of all whiskey
>Was also taught all vodka is created equal
>>
Yah uh starting off where you live would be a big fucking help op
>>
>>7192266
USA, PA
>>
Dont know much about the eastern side in terms of what beers you can get, same with ciders

If you can find it, blackthorn is my go to cider. English and dry, crisp apple taste. JK scrumpy's for something sweet

Evan Williams Single Barrel is one of the best values for bourbon out there, and their eggnog is pretty good too (usually sells out fast)

Makers if you want a sour mash, but it's a little overrated imo.

Anything out of Sazerac is a good go to as well (makers of Rip van winkle). W.L Weller, Buffalo Trace, Angels Envy and Eagle Rare (closest thing you can get to Rip year round)

And blantons, but the latter three are pretty expensive, considering you are in college

My go to for everyday stuff is Bulleit Rye. Bulleit in general is miles above jack imo
>>
>>7192249
>all vodka is created equal
Don't you start discriminating my vodka, mate! He can't help giving people the worst hangovers in history.
>>
>>7192296
The best vodka gives the gentlest hangovers you'll ever have. So delicate it's almost a divine experience.
>>
>>7192296
not my fault I was taught vodka by a commie
>>7192290
I recently was gifted Glennfidich and Dewars
they any good?

and those sound great
>>
bulleit is quality, both the regular bourbon and the rye
titos vodka is quality
i like me some kraken, spicy ginger beer and lots of lime juice
>>
>>7192301
titos is potato yeah?
>>
>>7192299
Glenfiddich is basic, but a good place to start. Dewars I would save for mixing.
>>
>>7192304
I usually go for a Maple Leaf when it's cold, would it be good for that?
and basic works, like I said
Im recovering from Paddys and Jack
>>
>>7192302
corn
gives it kind of a mildly sweet aftertaste or something
>>
>>7192305
I've never heard of a Maple Leaf, but a quick search shows me that it's a cocktail using bourbon. So, as Dewars is a blended Scotch, probably not. No harm in trying, however. It might turn out fine.
>>
I like Cider alot.

Strongbow is sweet but pretty tasty.

Ace makes some good stuff. I really like their Joker Cider. Not sweet, a bit drier, but also 6.9 abv. They're Pear Cider is pretty tasty.

>>7192290 like he said, JK Scrumpy is sweet. Their Farmhouse Cider is tasty. The Winter Cider has vanilla and cinnamon in it. The Summer Cider has orange and raisin. I really like JK Scrumpy.

Crispin is also pretty good.

Magners is interesting. I'm not going to say its objectively bad or not, but personally, I don't like. Try it and decide for yourself.

Pacific Coast Cider makes a really unique tasting Cider. Very Wine Like.

I avoid Woodchuck.

I don't usually have Angry Orchard, but alot of times its the only cider a place has. I don't dislike it, but I don't usually buy a sixpack of the stuff. Although a couple bars near me have it on tap which is pretty tasty. Their Premium Big Bottles are hit or miss. Iceman is probably one of the most delicious cider's I've had in a while; its really sweet though. Stawman was not good.

Smith and forge is cheap. Tastes in between normal cider and beer. I don't like it.

I haven't had any of the Seattle Ciders except their Dry Cider, and it tasted like sand.
>>
>>7192307
ah so like
hm. Only time I've had corn liquor is moonshine
>>7192308
ah, yeah makes sense
Any good scotch cocktails?
>>
>>7192312
I went with strongbow mostly
Their honey is way too sweet, but the normal cider is great
>>
>>7192312
what is it you dont like about magners? i'm a fan of it, though that may just be circumstances because the bar where i do my gaming at only has strongbow otherwise, and most of the liquor stores are primarily filled with shit like growers and angry orchard which are pue sugar
>>
>>7192322
I don't really know how to describe it, other than "beer-y". I'm not saying its bad, but I personally don't like it.
>>
>>7192320
>strongbow
Listen here nigger, that shit is awful, liquid feces marketed at the fireball generation

Angry Orchard is shit, but they make a couple decent ones, be it their stone dry and cinnamon. Woodchuck is shit.

Crispin is stocked pretty well in a lot of areas. But trust me, if you can find Blackthorn, that cider is miles above anything else (besides local, small stuff)

Im in colorado and the cider is booming here. Liquor stores have 6+ dedicated shelves now for cider alone
>>
>>7192330
I live in North Philadelphia during the year
the only beer distributors pander to the people in the area,
students and black people
But when I'm home in nicer areas ill look out for it
>>
>>7192316
There don't seem to be many good Scotch cocktails. Possibly because there is such diversity of flavour amongst them. Rusty Nail is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, which is Drambuie and Scotch (though any whiskey will work) over ice.
>>
>>7192334
Sounds pretty good
I was perusing the web and saw a lot were mixed with orange liqueurs and such
so i suppose letting orange peel and some lemon zest sit in it then mixing that with some other citrus or something could work
>>
>>7192312
Remembered a couple of others ones I want to talk about.

Ciderboys Peach County tastes just like peach juice. Super sweet, super delicious.

I haven't tried normal McKenzie's, but they're Black Cherry Cider tastes exactly like Black Cherry Soda.

B. Nektar, a meadery in Michigan makes all kinds of cool meads. But they have one called "Zombie Killer" Its a cherry Cyser, which is a mead that has apple juice added before fermentation so its basically half mead/ half cider and also with cherry. Delicious, but its also a beautiful Golden Amber.
>>
>>7192330
>Blackthorn, that cider is miles above anything else (besides local, small stuff)

One of your friend's from across the Atlantic just letting you know that Blackthorn is neither a particularly good cider, nor is it small and local.

It's a damn sight better than Strongbow though. Have Aspalls or Thatchers made it over there? They're pretty nice, but big enough to export.
>>
>>7192330
Of the three super big Ciders that area (Woochuck, Angry Orchard, and Strongbow) its the best. I'm not saying its the best cider ever, but its tasty and easy to drink. Plus its pretty cheap, I'd compare it a decent beer, like Goose Island, rather than a Bud Light.

A buddy of mine from Liverpool informed me that Strongbow is the cheap shit that hobos and teenagers get drunk off, rather than the trendy cider that it is being marketed over here.
>>
>>7192341
Not the guy you're responding to, but being from Australia I've found Thatchers the only cider I've tasted which didn't seem excessively sweet.
>>
>>7192348
so Strongbow across the pond is Steel Reserve here
damn.
>>
>>7192348
>Strongbow is the cheap shit that hobos and teenagers get drunk off, rather than the trendy cider that it is being marketed over here.

You guys have been sold a big lie, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Are trendy types drinking it over there?

If when I get to NY this summer there are hipsters drinking Strongbow I'll kek my pants off.

Sorry on behalf of all Brits for having exported so much wank to you recently: Piers, James Corden, and now this...
>>
>>7192341
I know it isnt small or local. The only real english ciders you can find are Crispin and Sir Perry for the most part (and strongbow). Thatchers perhaps near the coasts, but I havent seen it where I live (middle of the USA)

Cider is weird in the U.S. You have two brands which dominate the market for the most part, while local ciders in the state attract true cider drinkers. Then you have third party distributors that get a few small imports, but nothing particularly good
>>
>>7192357
yeah. Its marketed as the fancier upper end of ciders
>>
>>7192348
Your friend is right. If you see someone buying a six pack of strongbow at the co-op, 9 times out of ten you'll be able to smell the piss and BO on them from halfway over the shop.
>>
>>7192361
How much is it for a pint/a few tinnies?

A tinny here is usually 50-70p, often cheaper, from a supermarket which is why it's so popular among hobos and teenagers.

That's about 90cents.
>>
>>7192370
.....tinnies?
Sir I do not understand
the bottles are like 18 bucks for a 6 pack
>>
>>7192357
>>7192364
I was really amused when my friend told me that, but I still like strongbow, but I don't think that its really high end. The only high end ciders are craft ciders.
>>
>>7192374
18 bucks? Sheeeeeeeeit. Its 10 bucks for a six-pack around where I am. Even in Chicago, its like 11 bucks for a sixpack.
>>
>>7192378
yeah well welcome to North Phucking Filly
the detroit of the east coast
>>
>>7192374
A tinny is a pint can. My maths is shit, but I think you're paying as much for a six pack as we'd pay for 36 tinnies...
>>
>>7192382
That fucking sucks

I haven't been to philly in years. Used to go each year for thanksgiving. Maybe its the water or something, the Hotdogs on the street in downtown are the best hotdogs I've ever had.

Plus Federal Donuts are the best fucking donuts I've ever had. Last time my parents came back from philly, the bought a dozen donuts and put them in the suitcase and brought them back to Chicago. That fucking good that they did that.
>>
>>7192394
by me, strongbow is only sold in glass bottle six packs
>>7192396
man I go to Temple U
so im in north philly, its a shithole
center city is amazing though
>>
>>7192404
Not him, but I go to Temple as well. I'll get drunk with you once the winter semester starts back up.
>>
>>7192466
well shit yo what year are you?
>>
This is the third or fourth wine I've ever tried and definitely the most expensive. It's delicious. A little sweet, mostly tart, with a dry mouthfeel that's almost like if someone didn't put enough water in flour when making a dough. It feels chalky.

I was gonna mull this but now I just wanna sip it. (not my photo)
>>
>>7192290
>W.L Weller
Haven't been able to find this. Is it supposed to be as rare as Pappy?
>>
so Ciroc
thoughts?
>>
>>7193795

This thread has been an enjoyable read.

Im from south-west England, which I believe is the biggest cider producing area in UK. There is a very big cider tradition here. There are pubs that are purely just cider pubs.

There was a time when Blackthorn was in every pub in the local area. It was the go to cider. Then they changed thier recipe and made it sweeter, which isnt what people wanted. A lot of places changed over to Thatchers Gold which contributed to their rise. Apparently Blackthorn did try to change back, but it was too late by that point. I dont know what they might be sending out to the US, but the old recipe was very dry. However, it was pretty much known that Blackthorn was 'chemical warfare in a glass'. At least a lot of people recognised it wasnt a wholesome good-for-you product.

The idea that Americans are shelling out big $$ for Strongbow is great. Its a terrible terrible drink. The kind of thing you would see a tramp drinking. It costs £0.50 for a 440ml can. Strongbow is to cider what Budweiser is to beer.
>>
>>7193850
I love Ciroc. I lived with a couple and they had an argument over a bottle of Ciroc that led to me fucking her.

The drink itself is terrible imo. But I only tried the red berry flavour.
>>
>>7193851
at least I know I'm not fucked for not liking it. Im actually excited to try a good cider.
>>
>>7192301
Are you me?

Tito's Vodka and Bulleit Rye Whiskey are both very good.
>>
Fernet has been my drink of choice lately. Shit gets you so fucked up.
>>
>>7193678
I'm a junior, but I took a few gap years.
>>
>>7193922
im a junior too
and i feel ya man
I'm actually in the jew frat there
>>
>>7192322
Different guy but Magners is kind of variable. I've had it in a few different places and it's been different each time. The US variant is kind of poor in my opinion, I live quite close to the place where it is produced and it's much better here.

Though it's called Bulmers here because Magners and the English cider brand, also called Bulmers, isn't sold here. I think Magners changed their name to Bulmers so the English Bulmers wouldn't establish itself in Ireland.
>>
>>7194044
I hear you guys have some decent parties, I just transferred last semester so I've been too busy acclimating to check them out.
>>
>>7192274
in PA you cant go wrong with yuengling for cheap beer. if youre in central PA, look for lions head if youre on a budget. its cheaper than bud light etc, but better than natty or keystone.

as for fucking everyones day up, ill give you my jungle juice recipe

1 part vodka
1 part hawain punch
1 part sprite
1 part orange juice

thats a really good, relatively cheap party drink. in terms of decent spirits, check out titos vodka, its not too expensive but better than smirnoff, svedka, and similarly priced vodkas. in terms of whiskeys/bourbons, you can really spend a lot if youre in the mood. im not sure about the prices, but check out four roses, bullit, and makers mark for bourbon. never liked it too much myself, but i lived in kentucky where its a religion and those three were always favorites. for rum, ive always gone bacardi and variants. im not a rum connoisseur as most of its really easy to drink. just be careful with high proof rum as its really easy to drink too quickly. anyways, hope this helps!
>>
>>7194336
Alright familia, will do.
>>
File: 1440646637029.jpg (91 KB, 490x694) Image search: [Google]
1440646637029.jpg
91 KB, 490x694
>>7192243
Patrician tier selection:

Beers: Guinness extra stout, dos xx amber, anything founders, anything great lakes, Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Cider: Anything woodchuck, but mainly amber

Vodka: luksusowa vodka (cheap too)

Bourbon: Bulleit bourbon

Port: Sandeman and croft are good ruby ports

Gin: beefeater 24

Brandy: Raynal

Liqueur: Barenjager (honey), Disaronno (almond), frangelico (hazelnut), kahlua (coffee)
>>
File: 1439022264760.jpg (150 KB, 1080x675) Image search: [Google]
1439022264760.jpg
150 KB, 1080x675
>>7192312

>I avoid Woodchuck.

Why breh? I love woodchuck
>>
>>7194790
all this is is pleb as shit tho....its cheap, common,tho not the worst still not the best
>>
>>7194790
I'm not even gay but I'd let that dude pump my ass full of his cum.
>>
>>7194845
That kinda makes you gay actually.
>>
Served negroni at a dinner party before dinner. It was okay, but is there a less dominant bitter spirit than campari? Even if I use significantly less campari than gin and vermouth, it's still way too dominant. Might as well serve just campari.
>>
File: 1449039312381.jpg (18 KB, 490x326) Image search: [Google]
1449039312381.jpg
18 KB, 490x326
>>7194831
>cheap, common
Implying saving money and being able to find the stuff you like are plebeian
>>
>>7194868
Or at least bi.
>>
>>7193705
12 year is an allocated shipment. Regular wellers should be in most liquor stores
>>7193699
Chianti, sangiovese grape. The grape/region is notorious for the dry mouth feel (high tannins). The sweetness is the acidity which brings out the fruit (also high for chianti's). The tartness is the mixture of the two with the body (mostly attributed to alcohol %) 13%, medium bodied chianti

Dont get your hopes up, chianti's specifically run high. You can try a chianti not made in the region for a better overall price (called a sangiovese) or a blend with the majority being sangiovese
>>
>>7192243
>New Glarus
>Leinies
>Titos
>Los Trejos
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.