[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Miyabi knives any good? My girlfriend got my one for my birthday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: miyabi.jpg (678 KB, 1200x495) Image search: [Google]
miyabi.jpg
678 KB, 1200x495
Are Miyabi knives any good? My girlfriend got my one for my birthday that's like a fusion knife, got a western handle and a japanese style blade or something. Series is called 600d.
So far all I've managed to come up with on google and shit are post from people that are obviously sponsoring the brand.
>>
They're alright, nothing amazing, nothing terrible. VG10 is a very common Japanese steel, better than your average shit-tier German steel from 1951, but middle of the road by the standards of modern high performance cutlery steel. It's actually contract manufactured for a German knife brand, as a feeble attempt to get with the times without admitting that their main lines are way, way, way the fuck outdated.
>>
>>7188908
Yeah I know, I read in the brochure that came with it that it was "japanese tradition meets famous german engineering".
This is basically the first proper knife I've ever handled. What are the general rules on sharpening this? I know how to use a honing rod but I read that you should only use a wet stone for this type of knife. Is that true or just nonsense?
>>
>>7188899

Miyagi san makes better knives.
>>
>>7188921
You should be suspicious of "only", "always", and other absolutes when it comes to knife maintenance, a lot of people are unwilling to think about the processes that are involved and therefore treat it like a religion.

Most grooved steels are not good for a knife like that because they are designed to manhandle a burr back into place, on a softer knife where the edge rolls on failure instead of chipping like a harder knife.

A harder knife will not respond well to being run along a groove steel, because whatever edge repair it needs can't be done with that kind of tool, and whatever it didn't need, it's going to get anyway, making the edge worse.

But a ceramic or borosilicate rod can be effective, if used correctly.

Stones are useful for this kind of knife, and almost any kind of knife. If you had to pick only stones or only rods, only stones would be better. But in the ideal world, you'd have both.
>>
File: 8668c210_20150913_171739.jpg (2 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
8668c210_20150913_171739.jpg
2 MB, 2988x5312
>>7188908

Are there any 20cm chef knives available for less than 100$ with a below 60 HRC steel better than 1.4116? There are plenty of such steels, but I only see them in custom and 200$ brand knives.

Harder steels have their own problems.
>>
Miyabis are very good knives, that's a thoughtful gift and not that cheap.
>>
>>7188899
>is my knife good
nigga just try it
>>
are henckels knives good?
Specifically this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Henckels-Four-Star-Cooks-Knife/dp/B00008S0T3
>>
>>7190734
ops gf
>>
>>7190734
I agree with this desu senpai
>>
Ive been really interested in knives for a few months, is there any thread or whatever that gives you great advice/knowledge on how to chose a good knife or sharpen it well ?

It's just amazing how asian cook looks like.
>>
>>7190864

It takes an edge well, loses it relatively fast as well. Hope you good at honing, I wasn't and ruined it a bit.

For what it's worth I have been looking around for some non anecdotal testing for lower end knives, Stifting Warentest in 2008 had some tests and they liked the edge retention of the WMF/Wusthoff knives better (standard 1.4116 steel), some of which are in the same price range.

https://www.wuesthof-shop.de/en/grand-prix-ii/wuesthof-4585-20-cook-s-knife-20-cm/a-43247/

If you want VG10 steel, the Eden knives are in the same price range as well (I think it's a house branded "OEM" knife).

https://www.knivesandtools.de/de/ct/eden-quality-classic-damast.htm
>>
>>7190920

Sure thing, you have basically two options to buy and care for your knife, both turn out equally well but spergbabies will scream at your for either choice so just ignore them.
A)Western cooking knives which are almost universally hardened to 56-59 RC
B)Japanese knives, which are much harder, 62RC or even higher

A decent che;f knife has these characteristics: high carbon or tool stainless steel, forged, properly ground and heat treated. After that it's all basically personal preference and dick swinging.

some points to keep in mind:

unless you're working in a professional kitchen your knives probably only need to be sharpened once or twice a year but what you can do on a regular basis is strop them(for harder knives) or steel them(softer knives)

You need to sharpen when honing the knife doesn't work anymore or if you chip the blade.

Sharpening: Western style is to use oil and finish on natural stones and then polish with rouge and a leather strop. Start with a Norton Tristone that's basically all you need.

Japanese sharpening uses much softer synthetic stones that are used in a water bath, generally two or three is sufficient. THE GRIT MEASUREMENTS ARE DIFFERENT. the stones are not equivalent and you cna't mix and match, in general.

Sharpening itself: Sharpening is the process of removing steel from the blade in a controlled fashion at a progressively higher and higher level of polish. watch a few videos, get a few dogshit knives from Goodwill and practice until you can make them shaving sharp. GL
>>
>>7193446
Japanese knives average closer to 60 plus or minus a little, unless you are talking handmade traditional knives
Most of the misinformation about japanese knives comes from the erroneous notion that most japanese knives sold and used in the west are hand-forged honyaki yanagi types. Whereas in fact they're more like Mac or Misono. 50/50 grind, western handle, strong all-purpose edge profile.

I have no idea why people keep repeating this nonsense, how many kitchenware stores in the US or Canada are pushing a full lineup of custom shigefusa?
>>
>>7193570

Because it's mostly true and it's very easy to find the harder benchmade knives if you look online, where most people are going to start looking
>Spoiler alert: this is the internet
In fact, you're more likely to find those knives than anything else. Google "japanese gyuto" and the first result for a 240mm gyuto is an Anryu Kurouchi, 61 RC and the second listing is Fujiwara Teruyasu 64-65RC.

it's true that there's a lot of variability, your much more likely to find softer japanese blades than you are to find harder Western blades but the very high hardness is one of the defining characteristics of the Japanese style knife
>>
>>7193685
That's because you googled "gyuto", try "chef knife" which is what most people would look for.

Nobody buys a blue #2 kurouchi wagyuto by accident.
>>
>>7193698
"japanese chef knives"

first knives from first link: 60-67RC
>>
>>7193735
You must be more of a knife sperg in Google's eyes, because I'm getting more plebeian knives from 59-62
>>
What's the advantage of non stainless steels BTW?

Do they actually have higher tensile strength or smaller grain sizes, or are you just trading away convenience for meme?
>>
>>7195559
Stainless steel is brittle and inflexible, which is terrible for swordfighting
>>
>>7188949
Quality post, thank you. So as a generalization, is it safe to say that rods should be considered more for softer knives?
>>
>>7195559
Depends on what "convenince" means.
High performance modern stainless steels are a bitch to sharpen on anything but the fanciest modernest abrasives
Carbon steel can be pretty much sharpened on anything. Arkansas, jnats, whatever.
>>
OP if you're still here, how do you like the knife?
>>
>>7188908
just stop spreading your fucktardery
>>7193570
Most Japanese knives are ceramic, as Kyocera are the best selling knives out of Japan. That HRC has to be off the charts, but also is shitty material for kitchen knives.
>>7193685
The difference between an HRC 59 and HRC 61 knife is not a huge selling point, as that's in the margin of error between many manufacturing and testing differences, and maybe even some fraudulent claims (who the hell is testing all of these handmade knives?. It's rare to find an HRC 56 knife that isn't really cheap or intended for bone hacking anymore.
>>7195583
It's not a matter of a steel being high performance, modern, or stainless that makes it a bitch or a beaut to sharpen. That is a matter of practice, temper of the steel, and fineness and wear characteristics of grain structure - primarily the temper of the steel and the practice of the one sharpening.
>>
Lol at buying shitty weaboo knives made out of folded one birrion times garbage metal instead of solid Aryan engineered kitchen knives like a normal person.

Fucking weaboo autists.
>>
>>7188899
The last time Japan and Germany hooked up things didn't go well. Dont trust that knife. And deffinately don't use it to make Italian food.

Can't trust them wops.
>>
File: images__6_.jpg (25 KB, 390x377) Image search: [Google]
images__6_.jpg
25 KB, 390x377
>>7188899

Nice fake Japanese kitchen knife outsourced by Mom's favorite German soft blunt object maker :^).
>>
>>7198650
I bought a weaboo monosteel knifu though baka senpai

also it's only their ore that is garbage, that's why they refine it
>>
>>7188899
They're not BAD. they're not the knife to end all knives but they're definitely above the average of what you'll find in a home kitchen. VG10 is a very good knife steel, it's a bit chippy if you hone it to TOO keen an edge but otherwise it's fine.

Just don't be a retard with it, DO NOT USE A STEEL HONING ROD ON IT, and you'll be okay.

Also, use a good cutting board for the love of all that is holy. If you have a plastic cutting board for general work, GET RID OF IT. It's incredibly slow and sharp knives bite into it. Get a good butcher's block cutting board.
>>
File: 1446575124082.jpg (230 KB, 1008x672) Image search: [Google]
1446575124082.jpg
230 KB, 1008x672
>>7199048

What does "too keen" even mean?
>>
>>7199002

Honestly it's probably a better knife than most production Japanese gyuto. The reason is that it will be much thinner and have a full grind. Gyuto are THICK at the spine, they are far more wedge shaped than most Western chef knives. So this really could be a case were Japanese design benefits from German engineering even tho Jap and Jerry engineering are essentially on par for top quality in the world.
>>
>>7199145

means too acute of a final bevel.

knife edge looks like this: ^

if the angle is too elongated it will be too thin for such a hard steel and be extremely brittle at a microsopic level and therefore get dull much quicker than it might otherwise.

the best way to avoid this is to use the rouded Moran or 'appleseed' edge, which is also the way japanese swords were honed. If this knife is honed that way, it will not have a brittle edge, ,but if you ground it perfectly flat into a acute triangle it would.
>>
>>7199462

Jesus Christ what a bunch of asspulled old wives tale bullshit. Pro-tip: you just fucking suck donkey balls at sharpening, gramps.
>>
>>7196959
>implying a 1k diamond plate cuts at the same speed as a washita
Stop posting
>>
>>7198650
>guaranteed replies
>>
>>7200216

lowqualityb8.jpg

miyabis run 63-66 RC. the Moran edge is the only way they have any edge durability at all at under 12deg final bevel
>>
>>7200432

Don't the nips most grind flat chisel edges?
>>
>>7188899
Is that damascus steel a gimmick? Why does the rippling not extend to the blade edge?
>>
>>7200432

Go back to bed gramps, some of us in the modern world have heard of a micro-bevel and don't have to deliberately round over the apex on our knives to cover up our sharpening inadequacies :^)
>>
>>7200776

It's a prettier form of San Mai construction AFAIK. The Damascus steel on the side, multiple alloys of softer steel, with a VG10 core.

The Damascus effect serves no purpose other than looking pretty, but not extending to the edge does.
>>
So i. Not a chef, but ive done some materials science, what kind of hardness do you look for, and on what scale?
>>
just curious what you need a good knife for, specifically. is it filleting? i've never had an issue getting precise cuts with my shitty walmart kitchen knife set. i get that a well-made tool is a beautiful thing, but i'm curious what specific things you guys use these expensive knives for.
>>
>>7204634

If you work in a kitchen a good life stays sharp longer and it balanced in a way you like that makes your job easier. the same applys at home to a much lesser degree. And good knives for this exist, they are called Chicago, Farberware, Victorinox and a few others and they set you back about $20-30 a knife and will last you a life time. After that you're buying features or looks you can't otherwise get. Like Kia vs BMW. Your Walmart set might be one of those good brands.

After that, you buy knives with different shapes cuzz they do different things. A filleting knife makes fish cutting 100x easier. A slicer can reach around joints in ways that are harder with a chef's knife. A japanese ell knife is exactly suited to way the japanese prepare eels. yadayada.

Some people just like nice things, and knives can be nice things.
>>
>>7204634
It just makes cooking so much easier, like with my santoku style knife I can cut almost everything with minimal effort and very precisely so it just makes day to day cooking that little bit easier.
>>
>>7204634

It's for having weaboo forded one mirrion times fantasies while sharpening them badly and oxidizing the shit out of your food.
>>
>>7188899
Use it and tell us, you have one right in front of you.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.