[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for a basic chili recipe that a poorfag can make. The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
File: IMG_0435-800x533.jpg (140 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0435-800x533.jpg
140 KB, 800x533
Looking for a basic chili recipe that a poorfag can make. The fewer ingredients the better. But I'll spend the money if certain ingredients are necessary to make a good chili. Please recommend!

Also, what goes good with chili?
>>
File: index.jpg (11 KB, 190x265) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11 KB, 190x265
Cheese crackers.
Don't matter the brand, but these things make chili delicious.
>>
>>7183530
Well if ur really poor

85/15 beef
Can of petite tomatoes
1 onion or onion seasoning
^ same with garlic
Chilli seasoning packet
1 can of tomoate sauce, or 2 if you prefer less thick chilli

Thats really it, just google lazymans chilli
>>
>>7183534
What's the difference between petite tomatoes, and just regular tomatoes?

Also, how does garlic work? Like, what do I buy, and how much do I use?
>>
Seriously?
Just brown off ground meat, half pork half beef, fried onion and garlic, season with whatever, cayenne, oregano, paprika, msg, dog shit who cares, chopped fresh or tinned tomatoes, whatevers easier or fits in your tightarse buget, because what? Chilli is a high cost dish all of a sudden? Simmer for ages, reducing and caremalising, thats what you want to do, thats what makes food like this taste good, ddd canned beans, whatever again, kidney, pinto, red etc
Drink a heap of malt liquor and pass out
>>
File: 1251059959669.jpg (23 KB, 205x199) Image search: [Google]
1251059959669.jpg
23 KB, 205x199
>putting beans in chili
>putting corn in chili
>putting carrots in chili
>putting beer in chili
>putting red wine in chili
>using chicken stock
>using ground beef
>using canned tomatoes
>using worcestershire sauce
>eating chili with rice
>eating chili with pasta
>eating chili with bread
>using habaneros
>using preground cumin
>>
>>7183538
>no items
>fox only
>finally destination
People who get autistic about chili are exactly the same kind of person I imagine would play smash brothers competitively.
>>
>>7183547
Chilli is just a redneck version of bolognese, getting autistic over it is the epitome of autism
>>
>>7183537
>Chilli is a high cost dish all of a sudden?
Have you never been poor? The meat alone is fairly expensive. Once you've made 5 buck stretch a whole week, you start reevaluating the cost of food.
>>
>>7183530
Corn bread.
All so if you put beans in your chili, well you should do the word a favor and an hero asap.
>>
File: Corn_Muffin_Mix.jpg (140 KB, 296x500) Image search: [Google]
Corn_Muffin_Mix.jpg
140 KB, 296x500
>>7183530
Corn bread goes with chili and these packets are like 50 cents.
Easy mode: I just bake them like a big pancake on greased aluminum foil.

>>7183534
This is a good starter, but kidney beans if you want beans.

I wouldn't go without onions and peppers.
>>
>>7183571
>>7183562
I'm just made myself sick on that brand of cornbread today. So I'm looking to avoid it for a while. Anything else good with chili? Like perhaps a bread?

Also, can you explain how garlic works? I asked the other anon, but he never got back to me. Sometimes I think about buying whole cloves. But I don't know what that translates to exactly, flavor wise. If I chop up a whole thing of garlic, and toss it in, would it ruin the flavor?
>>
>>7183581
Oyster crackers are always a solid choice
>>
>>7183536
Its in the name, petite is smaller slices, u dont like big chunks

Its preference, I like a whole garlic, my wife likes only 2 or 3 cloves, with powder just add till you like it, sorta like salt and pepper
>>
>>7183571
>>7183536
>>7183536

Oh shit. Forgot beans, really ant work, its preference.
>>
>>7183560
>The meat alone is fairly expensive.
This. I can't believe the cost of ground beef now. They are animals that can live off grass in wastelands. WTF?
>>
>>7183581
Scoop it up and eat it with tortilla chips. Sprinkle with shredded Cheddar cheese and minced onion and a blop of sour cream for extra variety.

Remember to rise your beans. They come out of the can covered in goopy crap. If you soak them overnight, change the water once.

Lots of garlic, lots of cumin, easy on the hot pepper. Chili is user friendly.

White wine makes a good fluid. Pour in a cup and let it simmer all afternoon.

That's about all I can think of.
>>
>>7183581
I don't do garlic with chili, It reminds me of Italian or pasta. But powder would be best or the little jars of already prepped stuff.

French bread sliced and baked with butter and any seasonings you care for goes well.
>>
>>7183589
I see. Thanks.

>>7183595
That sounds like a lot. Dunno if I can do all that.
>Poor
>Cheese
>Wine
HA!
>>
>>7183601
what's with americans and buying pleb tier powder?

>onion powder
>garlic powder
>chili seasoning mix

Holy fuck. Are you people really that shit at cooking? How fucking hard is it to slice an onion or a few cloves of garlic?

>>7183581
2 small cloves, 3 small ones or 2 big ones if you like it
>>
>>7183608
How does one get the chili flavor without the chili powder?
I was already planning to get actual onion garlic and tomato. If I can get real chili flavor at a fair cost, then that's what I will do.
>>
>>7183602
If you're a poorfag, chili con carne is awesome. Just grab some dry beans, cover with an inch of water, soak overnight, pour off, let soak again so they still have some starch for thickening but you don't get the shits. Then fry up some cheapo beef, onions, etc. and add the beans plus a 99 cent can of maters. Salt and pepper and spice to taste. Throw in a whole hot pepper or three. Add a beer for fluid or tapwater if you don't. You just made a gigantic pot of bachelor food for under ten bucks.

For chips, cut up el cheapo corn tortillas and bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes. Easy peasy.
>>
>>7183610
>tomato
this time of year that's the only thing you should get in a can m8, they're out of season so objectively better out of a can

About the chili, just go to the store and see which ones they have, I've made chili with all kinds of chilipeppers before, even simple jalapenos can make for a great chili, just dice them up in very, very small bits and be sure not to touch your junk/eyes afterwards!
>>
>>7183611
Now we're talking. Sounds more my speed.
Soaking beans always makes me nervous. I only tried it once, and the bean didn't get as soft as I like.
>>
>>7183611
This. Back in college I would literally make buckets of this stuff, freeze some of it and still have enough left to feed a small army of friends
>>
>>7183612
Amen to the not touching yourself. Especially not sticking your pinky finger in your itchy ear. Jesus fuck I was in agony.

>>7183616
Overnight. Change the water. Soak again. Cook them and get them the consistency you like before you add any seasonings. They'll stop softening at that point -- no idea why.
>>
>>7183608
Not a fan of garlic so I do the easy thing if anything.

For chili I would have diced (real) onions and peppers.

A little chili powder is ok for extra spice and salt if wanted. I have done without it.
>>
>>7183618
>tfw no army of friends
>>
>>7183538
>>using ground beef
What are you trying to make here? Boiled water?
>>
File: every chili thread.jpg (164 KB, 1308x397) Image search: [Google]
every chili thread.jpg
164 KB, 1308x397
>>
>>7183717
>the only beef that exists is ground beef
>>
/fit/ here

What's wrong with beans or ground beef in chili?

Or is it just an ebin /ck/ meme?
>>
>>7183571

Add a can of creamed corn to the recipe for this, it makes it sweeter and moister and goes great with chili.
>>
>>7183560
>>7183592
>g-ground beef is, like, totally expensive g-guys!!!
No, you just don't know how to shop.
I can get 80/20 beef for $2.49/lb on sale or $2.99/lb regular price. That ain't that bad.
So, a 2lb package will cost $6 and, because I'm not a gelatinous lard-ass like some of you fuckwads, cooks up to about 8-9 servings of chili, costing under $8 total to cobble together (or under a buck per meal).
Stop. Being. Retarded.
>>
File: delicious.jpg (110 KB, 625x467) Image search: [Google]
delicious.jpg
110 KB, 625x467
>>7183825
That is just gross though. Who wants to eat meat that costs $2.50 a pound? Terrible, much better just to eat beans.
>>
>>7183825
Beef doesn't go under $2.69 here. And that's a lot when you're as poor as I am. When you reach a certain level of poverty, you start shopping by weight. Because heavy food is more filling, and generally higher calorie. Your staples like rice and potatoes have a high weight to dollar ratio. You can walk into a supermarket with 3 dollars, and get between 5-10lbs of potatoes, depending on the deals that day. And for whatever reason, my local place has a 5lbs bag of white rice perpetually on sale for $1.69. And the other nearby place has a 2lbs back of brown rice for the same price.

Point is: when you have little to spend, you have to figure if 3 dollars is worth a 1lb little packet of ground beef is worth it. Or if you should keep that money on reserve for a 5lb sack of potatoes. Beef becomes a treat.
>>
File: PicsArt_12-19-08.40.12.jpg (47 KB, 501x483) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_12-19-08.40.12.jpg
47 KB, 501x483
>>7183789
Back to Reddit, liar.
>>
>>7183581
How garlic works?

Garlic is a very flavorful ingredient and goes hood with almost anything. Never use powder garlic on those kind of dishes.

And... Noooooooo... you just don't chop the whole thing and toss it in, use anything from 2 - 4 cloves (small pieces) and it always should be the first thing to Sautee (fry) along with the onion.
>>
>>7183836
ewwwww fuck you whyyyyyyyyy
>>
>>7183871
yeah if you want to burn it. Add the garli after your onions are almost done
>>
>>7183844
Oh, I know. Not because I'm poverty-stricken but because I inherited my big-nosed grandmother's extreme frugality. As a general rule, I seldom buy beef unless it's below $3/lb. Occasionally, though, I like to buy a bit of prime or a tenderloin or something.

Anyway, back to being a complete cheapskate: clean out your freezer. Seriously. That would be just about the biggest help to eating cheap you can do. No more pre-processed foods. Not that they're bad. Many aren't. Some are okay and some even really fucking delicious. Just that frozen meals, generally, cost 3× or more than making it yourself.

After you've cleared out your freezer, you can start shopping manager's specials. Some people have issue with buying meat that's going to reach expiry in a day or two, but when you're as poor as you say you are, you can't afford to be choose-y. On manager's specials, you can find beef for as little as $1.75/lb or even less. And guess what? If it's a boneless hunk of beef and you ask the supermarket butcher, assuming you're not shopping at Aldi or Save a Lot, they'll run the beef through the mincer for you, free of charge. Boom: cheap ground beef. You can then store it in the freezer and use it when you want it.

I don't eat meat a whole lot in the first place, but I enjoy having some from time to time. Only about a third of all my meals are non-veg-friendly.

And again, if you strategically shop sales, you can get great deals, too. Sirloin tip was on sale this week at Shoprite for $2.49/lb, so I bought one weighing a little over 2lbs, just under $6. After seeing this thread, I might make chili or stew of it or braise it as potroast or something.
>>
>>7183889
>tl;dr
>>
>>7183892
>tl;dr
he's a jew
>>
>>7183530
>Looking for a basic chili recipe that a poorfag can make. The fewer ingredients the better. But I'll spend the money if certain ingredients are necessary to make a good chili. Please recommend!
Price out the percent fat vs percent lean and buy the best deal of actual meat. Buy 3lb or larger packages, and throw the 2nd or 3rd pound into a freezer ziploc for later. This is huge savings, to pull a lb of meat from the freezer, and brown it, because chili is all pantry staples ingredients from there.

To browned and drained 1lb ground sirloin, 1 spanish onion, 1 chopped bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper. Then, 1 can of whole or crushed tomatoes if you're going to go for hours or serve immediately, and 15 mins from serving, simmer with 1-2 cans of dark red kidney beans so you don't have to watch or stir them much, I use low sodium on all canned versions, if I reduce at all. Water to cover. Discussion: you can add fresh garlic or powdered, either/or. Cayenne to desired heat level (or chili flakes), or hitting it with hot sauce upon serving. I recommend Crystal, Cholula, Valentina or Tabasco green jalapeno.
>Also, what goes good with chili?
A jiffy corn bread box is cheap 2/$1. Get out a small cast iron, or double recipe for normal cast iron, or 6 paper muffin liners, and that's all. You can also buy cornbread ingredients cheaply if you buy Martha White cornbread mix (which has buttermilk and self-rising cornmeal both), so you only add egg or milk.
Basic saltines crushed on top is classic.
Can of biscuits, or some Bisquick drop biscuits. I sometimes make them into cheddar-garlic, or green onion biscuits with a little addition at the end. Might make them with sour cream rather than milk.
Nice toasted bread w/butter, or oven broiled garlic bread. Think about thawing out a loaf of dough to rise and twist, sprinkle with chili-lime salt (mexican), and baking.
Simple white rice is heavenly alongside very hot chili.
>>
>>7183538
>putting bell peppers in chili
>putting bacon in chili
>putting beer in chili
>>
>>7183571
>calling those sweetened abominations cornbread
>>
File: fritos nigga.png (236 KB, 334x483) Image search: [Google]
fritos nigga.png
236 KB, 334x483
>>7183581
>Anything else good with chili?

frito chili pie

put fritos in bowl
pour chili on top
top with americunt cheese... has to be americunt to be authentic

for a deluxe variation, put chips in bowl, place deluxe americunt cheese on top of chips, then chili, then a top layer of cheese. the bottom layer of cheese keeps the chips crunchy. just amazing with good homemade chili.
>>
>>7183560
Either start hunting or make friends with a hunter that has extra meat all the time. Beef prices fluctuate. White tails are almost free depending on where you live. Wild pig is free almost anywhere.
>>
>>7183889
>After you've cleared out your freezer, you can start shopping manager's specials. Some people have issue with buying meat that's going to reach expiry in a day or two, but when you're as poor as you say you are, you can't afford to be choose-y. On manager's specials, you can find beef for as little as $1.75/lb or even less. And guess what? If it's a boneless hunk of beef and you ask the supermarket butcher, assuming you're not shopping at Aldi or Save a Lot, they'll run the beef through the mincer for you, free of charge. Boom: cheap ground beef. You can then store it in the freezer and use it when you want it.
Now that's something I never would have thought of. Jews really do have a nose for these kinds of things.
All I have to do is spot a manager's special. Those are pretty rare.
>>
1 pound of ground beef
1 1/3 cups of cooked kidney beans (or 1 can)
1 small chopped onion
2 cans of diced tomatoes (with green chiles if you want it spicy)
1 foil packet of chili seasoning

Brown the meat, throw everything together in a pot, mix it together well, heat it until it starts bubbling, keep it at low to medium heat for another 10 minutes, serve. Cheap and easy.
>>
>>7183913
This man speaks the truth
>>
>>7183844
Add some dry beans to that for your protein.

It takes a while to soak them and boil them, but they're absurdly cost-effective for what they give you.

Do not skimp out on cooking them, if they're not fully cooked, you could get sick.
>>
>>7185187
Oh of course. That's what I do.
>>
all I use is pinto beans, tomato paste, sweet green peas, spices and water.
>>
>>7183534
Forgot to add 2 cans of beans too.
>>
File: 1437266117119.jpg (32 KB, 630x621) Image search: [Google]
1437266117119.jpg
32 KB, 630x621
My recipe is like this
1lb ground meat. Brown it and season ot with whatever youre gonna use. Cayenne, paprika, cumin, and garlic salt. Add into two diced medium sized onions. Let them cook a bit. I then add two to three sliced jalepenos. After that, one can of rinsed kidney beans, one can diced tomatoes, a small (8oz) can of tomato sauce, and 8 oz of liquid - broth, beer, wine, something. Mix it up and let it simmer for however log you want.
>>
start with three cans:

beans
tomatoes
corn

add some chocolate

WA LA

chili
>>
>>7183538

Instead of whining about beans that the cook put in the chili, just shut up and go make your own chili the way you like it.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.