[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just cleaned out my grandmother's cabinets and found food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8
Just cleaned out my grandmother's cabinets and found food older than myself.

What do you think the limit on canned goods is, for expiry? I already put back all the unexpired food but this was all the food that was past the "best by" label, mostly by 1-3 years but with a small collection of cans/jars from the 1990s. The oldest was a jar of dill pickles from 1991.
>>
>>7182608
If she hasn't eaten by now then chances are she isn't going to now, throw it out.
>>
>>7182608
Pics of grandmother?
>>
>>7182700
this
>>
If it doesn't smell, it's swell
>>
mix everything together and eat it.
post pictures
>>
File: gma.png (5 KB, 414x325) Image search: [Google]
gma.png
5 KB, 414x325
Fuck, I just ate a cracker from a box I found in a different cabinet without checking what year it was from and it was 8 years old and tasted like it. This kitchen is a minefield.

One time I found Nestle Quik from 1997 and it was full of cobwebs

>>7182694
I don't think she'd let me, she loathes food waste.

We're definitely tossing all the stuff that's confirmed older than 10 years old.

>>7182700
>>7182705
I don't have any, here's a sketch

>>7182710
>>7182714
I know canned stuff lasts a while, but then is there any point to the "best by" dates?
>>
>>7182724
>I know canned stuff lasts a while, but then is there any point to the "best by" dates?

It's to cover their asses in the off chance that someone gets sick. Seriously, though: if it looks fine and doesn't smell, taste a little bit. Does it pass all three test? Then it's fine.
>>
>>7182751
Maybe I'll just find stickers and put it on anything past the expiration date to encourage closer attention. She's smell-deaf, so she can be a bit more forgiving than she should with expired foods, but she can pass it off to my grandfather to check when I head back home. Thanks for the advice!
>>
>found food older than myself.
>oldest was a jar of dill pickles from 1991.

get the fuck out out 90's faggot
>>
>>7182789
t. a 15 year old
>>
>>7182710
When it doubt throw it out you shitting street nigger
>>
>>7182789
>only people 25 years or older are allowed on this Cambodian lithography website
Sorry that you're so elderly and bitter, but the minimum age for the site is 18. Reflect upon the fact that we're a scant couple years from kids born in 2000 coming of age and despair, crypt keeper.
>>
File: swole as fuck.jpg (193 KB, 500x524) Image search: [Google]
swole as fuck.jpg
193 KB, 500x524
>>7182822
>crypt keeper
Nice try, but I'm a wizard
>>
Anything canned that hasn't blown the gasket like fucking surstromming is essentially immortal as far as I'm concerned. Shit's cooked all to hell and in a practical pocket universe, it's the food of the apocalypse.
>>
>>7182724
>no pictures of grandma

Bad grandson detected
>>
>>7182724
>saggy gram-gram tits
>>
>>7182950
You caught me, I just don't want weirdos on 4chan jerking off to pictures of my grandparents.

Besides that, I'm cleaning out her cabinets for her, I'm not terrible.
>>
You should send it to Ashens m8, half of his career is eating ancient food and being Britishly disgusted.
>>
>>7182751
Canned food doesn't work that way. Botulism doesn't make the food smell, taste, or look any different, and it can make you seriously sick.

Look for dented or bulging cans. Those have to go, and warn your grandmother not to eat the food if it spurts out of the can when she goes to open it.
>>
Any boxes/plastic containers should be tossed if theyre over a year old

Any canned and jarred goods will not expire for the next 50 years regardless of date. Keep them. Note that vegetables will lose their crispness after about 5 years.
>>
>>7183014
Roger that. We've already tossed a bulging can, it leaked all over the cabinet shelves several years back and they never noticed which can it was that ruined it.

>>7183033
Hm, I think I've already put some older soup packets back. Hopefully the dry goods kept.
>>
>>7183033
continued.

>>7183014
this guy is correct

>>7182822
kekkaroon

to reiterate, the "best buy" dates are completely arbitrary and designed to make people re-purchase items and keep the company safe from lawsuit

Source: Been cooking professionally for 18 years.
>>
>>7183014
No, food with botulism will give off a, well, off smell. Clear liquids will look more like milk.

Also look for swollen cans
>>
Mostly unrelated, but just posted some of my grandmother's recipes in the holiday baking thread:
>>7183125
>>7183143
>>7183153
>>
>>7183014
Thirding this or whatever.
Canned shit lasts for a long, looong time. As long as the can isn't dented, bulging or leaking, you're 'probably' alright.
Use your nose though. If its fucked, its gonna have a smell, and you're gonna see the mold, botulism or not.
Look for little dark spots right around the inside of the rim.
>>
File: mfw blleaaaghhhhhh.jpg (170 KB, 433x500) Image search: [Google]
mfw blleaaaghhhhhh.jpg
170 KB, 433x500
>>7183190
Also I forgot to add arguably the most important -
When in doubt, toss it out.
Food poisoning is the worst bullshit your insides will ever fucking go through. I found out first hand through some really angry mayonnaise that I didn't know had gone bad.
Jesus christ. It was fucking horrible. I was projectile vomiting and shitting at the same time. I didn't even know it was possible till that day.
>>
>>7183012

This OP. Ashens, PO Box 3493, Norwich, NR7 7PX, U.K.

Or at least stream/photo yourself eating the food. There is no other way this thread can end. Someone has to put decades-old tinned food in their mouth.
>>
>>7182608
So you're younger than 24? Post pics, you cutie patootie.

Also, I'd taste a little bit just to be able to say I've eaten food older than I am. It's worth the risk.
>>
File: 1991 vintage.png (364 KB, 338x499) Image search: [Google]
1991 vintage.png
364 KB, 338x499
>>7183208
I guess I could send the oldest one? I don't know the guy's stuff, but 25 years of pickling might be worth forcing on someone for kicks.

>>7183212
This isn't /soc/, so I must politely decline.

And the salmon might be worth a try. It's probably about as old as me and Googling for the brand isn't pulling up any labels even vaguely similar. That's promising.
>>
>>7182724
>she loathes food waste
She thinks she does but she practices it on a regular basis. Storing food you'll never eat is waste.
>>
Send all the old shit to Ashens and see if he eats it. I once opened a 10 year old smoked salmon that was vacuum sealed. I wouldn't swallow it or eat any significant amount, but I ate a bit and it didn't taste off.
>>
File: 1449963457058.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1449963457058.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>at grandparent's
>head hurts
>go through cabinet looking for something to take
>bottle after bottle of pills that expired in the nineties

Old people are weird.
>>
just throw that shit out. it's not like it will be expensive to replace, or that it actually needs replacing. if she didn't eat it in 20 years, chances are she's not going to in the next 20 or however many years she has left.
>>
>>7182724
>I don't think she'd let me, she loathes food waste.
tell her you're donating it to such and such food bank, because mah ppl in needy situations, and then drive it to the nearest dumpster instead.
>>
I've eaten canned food from the army (not US Army, but an army) from the early 80s, this was back in 05-06 so about the same timeframe as you're dealing with. It was fine, tasted as good as canned shit always does, and no illness.

Then again, it was army grade, they make that shit to last a nuclear holocaust.
>>
File: 1447478344358.jpg (388 KB, 1803x1351) Image search: [Google]
1447478344358.jpg
388 KB, 1803x1351
Most canned food is purposely designed to last twice as long as the sell-by/expiration date, sure. But food that's over five to ten years old has either lost its quality, or is a potential hand grenade of illness. Despite the common conception, canning and pasteurization does not give food magical antimicrobial properties, nor does it promise eternal preservation.

I'm order of disposal, you should throw out:
Unlabeled cans
Cans that are dented, seeping, bulging, or with discolored/rusty/corroded rims/bodies
Clear glass containers
Cans that are five years removed or longer from their expiration date
Cans that may have been frozen
Cans that, when opened, have a bad odor, or a milky liquid which should be clear

Canned food processed before 1995 may potentially be contaminated with lead, which was not fully banned in the United States until that year.

MREs, under optimal conditions, are only rated for seven years of storage.

40% of fresh foods that are produced in the United States are thrown away uneaten. Don't gamble on sketchy canned food when there's good stuff just waiting at the grocery store.
>>
>>7182608
send it to ashens on youtube he will eat it
>>
>>7182724
>she loathes food waste
She already wasted it when she let it expire.
>>
>>7183014

>Botulism

If there were living bacteria in a canned product they done fucked up. Anything which has to be preserved for years has to be sterile, even a single bacterium is not an option.
>>
>>7183208
Ashens never eats food anymore, not since he had his stomach pumped in 2013. Now he just comments on the pleasant aroma, sometimes with his cheese-hating friend
>>
>>7185235
Microbiologist here. Botulism is caused by the obligate anaerobic (oxygen hating) bacteria Clostridium botulinum. C. botulinum has the ability to produce bacterial spores when under stress. Bacterial spores are very tough and can withstand boiling temperatures. The canning process does not destroy spores (only autoclaving and radiation will kill it). Given enough time, the spores will sprout under the anaerobic conditions of the cans. C. botulinum produces gas as it grows which causes cans (and dead bodies) to explode.
>>
>>7184540
>40%

How can that much food just be thrown away?
>>
>>7186483
>Microbiologist here.
Can biofilms form in the human body?
What's the best substances to destroy pathogenic biofilms in the body?
>>
File: 600px-Corpse_Explosion.png (561 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
600px-Corpse_Explosion.png
561 KB, 600x450
>>7186483
>C. botulinum produces gas as it grows which causes cans (and dead bodies) to explode.
>>
>>7183814
Pills don't really go off, either. Anything fun?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.