[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coffee
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 18
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 628x314) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 628x314
Hi guys so how long can coffee last before its starts tasting old/burned? Also coffee thread!!!
>>
>>7178798
All depends on where it's kept and how it's cooked. I assume you mean brewed already so...

>Left out, black coffee with no burner
No more than a day
>Left out, black coffee with a burner
It'll be burnt in a few hours
>In fridge
About a week.

With milk, I'd be more conservative on time.
>>
File: 1442810394779.jpg (482 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1442810394779.jpg
482 KB, 1024x768
>>7178798

> hating life so much that you need to drink coffee to wake up
>>
>>7178806
Who said anything about need? Some people enjoy the things they consume. Caffeine hardly affects me at all but I still have a cup of coffee several times a week because I enjoy it.

Way to be a tryhard fedora tipper, m8
>>
>>7178806
>implying that isn't life
>>
File: 1348531130301.jpg (16 KB, 300x323) Image search: [Google]
1348531130301.jpg
16 KB, 300x323
>>7178806
>almost 2016
>not hating life
>>
File: 5eb.jpg (26 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
5eb.jpg
26 KB, 600x750
>>7178811

> coffee is delicious and i drink it not in the morning
>>
>>7178806
>>7178811
OP here
I do it for both
The only thing worth waking up in the morning is coffee but I like to live in the basement so I don't get the smell downstairs
>>
>>7178817
You've never had a good cup of coffee. Sorry about that.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 556x419) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 556x419
Do you guys drink your coffee with milk of creamer
>>
>>7178834
*or
>>
File: wut.gif (2 MB, 351x272) Image search: [Google]
wut.gif
2 MB, 351x272
>>7178816
>this desu senpai

everything is going to hell
>2016
>liberal sjws take power in canada
>self driving cars being considered for public use
>CISA bill passing
>price of oil at all time low
>syria is basically fucked; refugees flood europe
>i have exams this week

the only thing i'm looking forward to in the next 5 years is marijuana becoming legal. i'm going to need it to deal with all the fucked up shit happening

pic related
>what else could go wrong
>>
>>7178850
>self driving cars
>a bad thing
Everything went to hell when the private car became to dominant mode of daily transportation and everyone with a pulse was allowed to drive one.
>>
>>7178871
fuck that, I like driving
>>
>>7178798
>how much coffee lasts after it's made

you drink coffee right after you make it man, the moment it becomes lulewarm it's already shit.
Or, if you think you can define coffee anything that is not an espresso then how much you want, something that is already shit cannot spoil too much more
>>
>>7178834
Both, usually. A dab of liquid creamer and a dab of milk, but that's usually on the morning when I need to grab and run. I'm a puss with hit drinks and need the milk to cool it a little so I can drink it quickly. When I'm not in a rush, just creamer
>pic related GOAT
>>
>>7178834
Only perhaps with moka pot coffee. I stopped having milk You'd be surprised how good coffee can be when you have it just black. I even drink red eyes black now.
>>
>>7178806
The day I take advice from a coon is the day I stop hating niggers.
>>
>>7179472
I was surprised with moka coffee. Stuff is as dark as motor oil. Even after adding milk it's still darker than regular black drip.
>>
File: ebul laff.gif (137 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
ebul laff.gif
137 KB, 340x340
>>7178885
I'm sure private race tracks will continue to cater to you after driving on public roads is banned.
>>
>>7178798

>Go to campus cafeteria between classes
>Get a black coffee
>Classmates: "Whoa, look at the badass over here!"

Do people really not like the taste of coffee?
>>
>>7178885
>M-muh brilliant Red Barchetta
>>
>>7179492
Yup. I found that if you just loosely fill the basket, pre-heat the water, and lower the heat when the coffee starts coming out it'll be quite comfy: dense but not motor oil death liquid.

>>7179515
Well coffee from a campus cafeteria is likely mediocre stuff, at best. I don't know if I'd have it black.
>>
>>7179557
>Someone insists on black coffee like it means something
>Make 3 cup moka pot
>Pour all into regular sized coffee mug
>Pour in a small amount of water so it's full as much as drip

Guaranteed to root people like that out. There's no shame in cream or sugar in coffee, but people who see black coffee as an accomplishment/challenge are dumb. Black coffee is the best when it's made with care. Shit coffee shouldn't have to be suffered black.
>>
>>7179515
They were making fun of you for being the type of person that thinks saying "I drink my coffee black" is badass or w.e
>>
coffee starts to oxidize as soon as you brew it.

The good news is that airpot/thermoses with the pump on them keep coffee fresh and hot for up to 12 hours. Honestly it baffles me to see service stations and other places that don't use these vacuum thermoses
>>
>>7179671

But I don't think that?
>>
>>7179717
Drink it how you like it and don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.
>>
>>7179717
Yeah, well, fuck people
>>
I'm probably going to get a French press for Christmas, what am I in for?
>>
>>7181388
Good coffee. Do you have a burr grinder
>>
>>7181426
No I don't, do I need one?
>>
>>7181430
You can get away with a blade grinder but a burr is highly preferable
>>
>>7181433
Does it make a difference?
>>
>>7181438
Grind size and consistency is incredibly important

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/wiki/index
>>
Does anyone here do pour over? How do I get into it? Any tips?
>>
>>7181458
Pour over cone
Filters
Hand burr grinder
Freshly roasted beans
Gooseneck kettle
Scale
Timer
>>
Start every day with a nice cafe latte
>>
I have a question:

I found that for 180 mL of water you need 10 grams of coffee. Using my shitty supermarket ground I got a coffee so black that you can't even see the bottom of the cup. The color was nice but it tasted like charcoal tea. Then I bought a more expensive coffee that doesn't come pre grinded and used the same 10 grams for a cup but it looks like black tea. It doesn't taste too bad but definitively it's not for me. Is this the classic american coffee that I people mock or was it my coarse grind? I'm using pour over method.
>>
>>7181438
Blade grinders are really inconsistent, so you'll have chunks that are way too large and get underextracted and others that are way too small leading to overextraction and off flavors. Using a burr grinder (and buying whole beans instead of preground, obviously) will make a way bigger difference in the quality of your coffee than a $1000 meme machine
>>
>>7181552
Coffee is not supposed to look like tea. Your grind is way too course.
>>
>>7181552
If your grind is too coarse, it will be under extracted. Was it sour tasting?
>>
File: 1449537536902.jpg (437 KB, 1508x1493) Image search: [Google]
1449537536902.jpg
437 KB, 1508x1493
>>7181448
>>
File: Comfy mug.jpg (77 KB, 696x1000) Image search: [Google]
Comfy mug.jpg
77 KB, 696x1000
>mfw local coffee shop is making an egg nogg latte.

I don't even like the nogg, but the bitterness of the espresso balances well with whatever flavors egg nogg has.
>>
File: ^).gif (685 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
^).gif
685 KB, 500x500
>>7181571
>I refuse to use a quality source of information because of memes
>Also I'm literally retarded, in case you couldn't tell from me acting like a retard
>>
>>7181583
Do you like biscotti? :3
>>
>>7181583
That would be nutmeg, plus possibly cinnamon and/or vanilla
>>
>>7181586
>I post literal Reddit links on 4chan and act surprised when I get called out
>>
>>7181571
Yes, please discount the wealth of information because you're a child and this sekrit klub is better than theirs
>>
>>7181593
I posted it because it's a good resource and I've been on 4chan since before reddit and this little tribal nonsense existed. Don't be an idiot
>>
>>7181593
>called out
For what? Posting information anon asked for? No one outside of 4chan cares about this little pissing contest. As far as Reddit and Tumblr are concerned, we barely exist
>>
File: 1433376363416.png (749 KB, 506x682) Image search: [Google]
1433376363416.png
749 KB, 506x682
>>7178806
>to wake up
>implying I don't drink it to help with my morning shits
Pic related. It's me looking at you while taking a shit
>>
>>7181567

7/10 taste but just not for me because I've been drink stronger coffee since forever. They use a coarse grind from french press? I don't have one but does the coffee from it come weak or the additional time gives more color/taste? Should I step my coarse grind for 3 minutes and then pour over the mixture to the filter?
>>
>>7181654
for*
>>
>>7181632
>I store pictures of children on the toilet on my hard drive.
FBI informed.
>>
File: 2006-03-08-16709.gif (456 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
2006-03-08-16709.gif
456 KB, 400x300
>>7181660
>>
>>7181668
Is that how ketchup is made?
>>
>>7181438
The more inconsistent the grind, the more sludge you'll have at the bottom of the cup.
>>
>>7181961
Uh, not really. Sludge comes from fines, which is powder size particles created from grinding.

Inconsistent grind really means uneven extraction. Larger particles are under extracted while smaller ones are over extracted
>>
>>7181961
A little sludge at the bottom of French press coffee is normal.
>>
Someone red pill me on black coffee. I've tried a bunch of brands in major supermarkets but its always been bland, bitter water to me. Do I have to import some crazy foreign shit that has to be blessed by a shaman before I find one that tastes good? Right now I'm literally of the mindset that people just pretend to like it, but part of me is saying "What if.."
>>
>>7178806
>Entered mid-life
>Not achieved zilch
>What's there to not hate about?

Lots of you will eventually become familiar with this feeling :|
>>
>>7181994
It's not the brand, it's your method. Go to the /r/coffee wiki posted above and find the starter guide.

Honestly sounds like you're using a too little amount of coffee in a shitty drip machine
>>
>>7182024
That sounds right, but I know little about methods and cost.
>>
>>7182027
The TL;DR easy way to great coffee:
French Press
Hand burr grinder
Freshly roasted beans
Kettle
Scale
Timer

Keep that in mind, now go read
>>
>>7181994

>I've tried a bunch of brands in major supermarkets but its always been bland, bitter water to me.

That shit is already stale by the time it's on the shelves. Even Starbucks.

>Do I have to import some crazy foreign shit that has to be blessed by a shaman before I find one that tastes good?

Nah, there should be a town or major city near you with at least on local roaster.

Local roasters always have the freshest and they'll most likely give you the option of ordering from the internets if you don't wanna be around other coffeefags.
Expect to pay at least $5 for shipping though since they have to use the fastest shipping method (e.g. USPS priority 1-day).
>>
>>7182036
I-I think coffee isnt for me. I cant imagine working with all that each morning especially for 4 people I live with. Isnt that problematic for multiple people?
>>
File: 1415154849794.png (282 KB, 437x625) Image search: [Google]
1415154849794.png
282 KB, 437x625
>>7181994
Its always gonna be bitter bean water now matter what. If the bitterness is what turns you off, its really not a big deal to add creamer.

Only reason I got into the habit of drinking black is because for the longest time, coffee was just "Wake up Juice" rather than a beverage for me. Nowadays I love me a good El Salvador, but I certainly wasn't always a person who "preferred" coffee's taste.

Good luck m8.
>>
>>7182044
Ok, if you're just going to use your drip machine, it really sounds like you need to use much much more coffee than you're currently using
>>
>>7181916
I hope not, she's a habanero pepper.
>>
File: 03.png (361 KB, 430x900) Image search: [Google]
03.png
361 KB, 430x900
>>7182061
Mah nigga
>>
>>7182044
>I-I think coffee isnt for me.

If none of that sparks your interest at all, then probably not.
>>
>>7182066
I like the idea of cooking and such, but when I think of coffee I think of it as the other guy said, wake up juice. Something I can just have ready. I don't want to break out alchemical tubes and measuring tools each morning to have something to drink. I can appreciate people who do but it just doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe I'll just try tea.
>>
>>7181604
>>7181607
>r/coffee
The most autistic place on the internet.
If you're roasting and grinding coffee at work you're a dick.
>>
>>7182066
Coffee isn't just for autists.
>>
>>7182080
>measuring tools

They're to avoid any kind of over extraction and OD'ing.

You ever put one scoop too much into your drip machine? Kinda like that.

You can always go to a cafe (not Starbucks) to try some black coffee brewed using a method other than drip. Many of them do pour-overs.
>>
>>7181961
>>7181976
Anyone else sift their grounds? I feel like a retard doing it, but when I do I get barely any sludge and it doesn't overextract.
>>
>>7182093
That is very true, but it is a good resource for beginners
>>
File: [][].jpg (2 MB, 1708x2264) Image search: [Google]
[][].jpg
2 MB, 1708x2264
I make about two pots and it lasts me a week or so. Never really occurred to me to refrigerate it. Probably not entirely safe but it's just how my family used to do it, with a big communal coffee pitcher on the counter (covered with cling film).
>>
>>7182106
OD'ing?!
>>
>>7182136
Oh god. At least brew your coffee freshly, which isn't much of a hassle at all. I would get a 1 litre french press.

>>7182143
Using too big of a dose of coffee, so basically overdosing. It wouldn't be as tragic as overdosing on propofol of course, but you run the risk of bitterness.
>>
>>7182165
I thought you were suggesting the guy would dangerously OD by simply adding an extra scoop to his coffee. Im pretty sure you would have to drink like 2 pots of coffee alone (not expresso) to begin to have dangerous effects.
>>
>>7182136
That's going to be some bitter shit, Anon. At least get a Hario cold brewer if you want to do that.
>>
Anyone else feel like a pretentious hipster for being able to identify notes in coffee and having a preferred bean region?
>>
>>7182193
No. Stop letting the internet shape the way you think, goober
>>
>>7182193
No you shouldn't be enthusiastic about anything you faggot. Just drink your iced mocha lattes and caramel frappuccinos like the rest of us fag.
>>
>>7179515
I work at McDonald's and I take full advantage of my free food and drink. Everyone thinks I'm a weirdo because of what I eat/drink
>You actually like black coffee? What's wrong with you?
>Why are you drinking tea? Are you sick?
>you actually like espresso? JUST espresso?
leave me alone pls ;_;

Same with my food
>hey, did you know anon puts salt in his oatmeal? That's disgusting, right?
>don't forget your salt, anon
>oatmeal and egg whites again? Going for those gainz, bro?
thetortureneverstops.mp3
>>
>>7182231
I was with you until oatmeal and egg whites. What's up with that?

I bring a lot of lentil soup to my job and people look at me weird. It was worse when I brought borscht, but that stuff also gives off cabbage smellz.
>>
>>7182231
McDonalds has espresso? Bizarre. I only recall having McDonalds coffee once when I was still in high school, with two sugar packets. I remember it had a very un-coffee aftertaste, similar to how all of McDonalds' food has a unique and perhaps addictive aftertaste.
>>
>>7182247
Probably an espresso base from which to make their 1000 calorie/50+ grams of sugar coffee milkshake explosions.

I know people who drink those or something similar every single day. It's disgusting.
>>
>>7182247
McDonald's coffee tastes pretty good to me. The only thing is that it tastes burnt once in a while. No funky aftertaste. The espresso isn't out of a fancy machine or anything. I just push a button and get a shot. Which reminds me:
>some gook orders 2 espresso shots
>I see "Ask Me" on the order
>turns out he wanted an Americano
>coworker asks me what he wanted
>"Oh, he wanted an Americano"
>tfw nobody else knew what an Americano was.
Man, I wish I knew how not to be a huge nerd.
>>
>>7182237
I usually eat unsweetened oatmeal and egg whites for breakfast. I wish I could eat biscuit sandwiches every day, but that's not very healthy.
>tfw McDonald's can cook egg whites better than me
>>
>>7181458
Get a pourover cone, #2 filters, and a coffee bean grinder (all can be bought for <$30 on amazon).

I'm sure that the way I do it is at least slightly incorrect, but it makes a decent cuppa every morning. I just boil water and take it off of the heat once it has boiled to make it slightly under boil temp. After that, I place the cone with a filter in it over my mug and pour water over the filter to wet it (sometimes the papery taste from the filter can be tasted if you don't wet it). I add the beans, bloom them by pouring enough water for them to soak without it coming out of then cone, wait 30 sec, and then slowly pour bursts of water down the center of the cone until my cup is full. After the bloom I'd say it takes me roughly 3-4min to fill the mug.

If I'm doing this shit wrong someone pls tell me
>>
>>7182247
'McCafé' is a thing now. Has been for a while. But their version of espresso is starbucks-tier compared to real cafés.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCafé
>>
File: cafebich.jpg (56 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
cafebich.jpg
56 KB, 640x960
>>7182286
Do you not know how to play dumb?

Does your job pay you enough to NOT play dumb?
>>
>>7183082
You're grinding too fine if it takes that long. It should take like two and a half to three minutes in total.
>>
File: wow.gif (2 MB, 350x253) Image search: [Google]
wow.gif
2 MB, 350x253
>>7182184
>expresso
>>
>>7178817
Are you ten years old?
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.