[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
steak
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20151217_105958072.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151217_105958072.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
I got my first steak today but I have no idea how to cook it what do /ck/
>>
>>7178639
1. Season
2. Hot pan
3. Fry
4. Serve with side dish
5. Eat
>>
Season.
Grill or sear in a pan.
Rest.
Slice thin, across the grain.
Eat.
>>
>>7178639
What the others say, but let me add: Don't expect too much out of a shoulder steak. That's not a primal cut, and it's awfully lean. To me that is stew meat, not really a steak. Cooked like a steak it will be tough and bloody-tasting.
>>
>>7178653
Oh, that's a shame
>>
>>7178653
They aren't completely terrible as long as you don't overcook them. Also, like I said above, make sure to slice it thin across the grain so it's not as chewy.

Shoulders teak certainly isn't my first choice for a tender steak, but it's reasonable enough provided you don't cook the living shit out of it and you know how to slice it properly so it isn't like chewing on leather when you try to eat it.
>>
>season both sides with salt and pepper
>get pan hot. You know it's hot enough if it sizzles when you put a droplet of water in
>cook one side for 2 minutes
>flip over and cook the other side for 2 minutes
>take it out and wrap in foil, let it rest for 5-10 minutes
>>
>>7178709

Also make sure it's been out of the fridge for at least 20 mins before cooking, and pat it dry with a paper towel before seasoning
>>
>>7178660
>They aren't completely terrible as long as you don't overcook them.
If you want to set your sights a little higher you can just cut it up and make goulash or ropa vieja out of it. That meat will be much tastier as a stew than as a steak.
>>
>>7178653
>>7178729
Listen to these anons, OP. For steak as a dish of its own, your really want to start with something better than shoulder steak. Strip steak is probably the lowest I would go, but ribeye is maybe the best combination of price and quality (although I haven't looked lately).

And be sure to have some suitable sides with it. A baked potato is pretty standard, but it's also pretty bland. If you must do potatoes, opt for something like garlic mashed potatoes. I'm partial to steamed broccoli with a steak.
>>
>>7178729
Oh, I agree. Personally I'd rather use a shoulder steak like that in some kind of stew. I was just saying that it can be a reasonably ok cut to eat as a steak if it's prepared correctly.
>>
>>7178639
>cube that some of a bitch into equal size pieces
>brown in a very hot pot in olive oil getting a good sear on all sides
>remove beef from pot
>add a finely chopped onion and brown
>add finely minced garlic

Those last two can be substituted with dry powders if necessary.

>add some butter to the pan with the onion and garlic (or just to the fond in the pan if you're using powders.)
>when the butter is melted, add an equal amount of flour
>cook flour until it smells a little like pie crust
>add beef stock and cook until slightly thickened

If using powders, add them now along with dried herbs such as thyme and rosemary.

>add browned beef back into pot with everything and bring to a slight boil
>turn it down to a simmer and cover
>cook for 2-3 hours

Add a little water if it's getting too thick after a while. Salt and pepper. Enjoy.
>>
>>7178639

Don't pay attention to the high heat/low drag meme you're going to fuck it up your first time and burn the steak/pan while leaving it raw on the inside, burning your hand and countertop, and exploding shrapnel in the kitchen when you let it hit water in the sink

Try something much easier:

>marinade steak in whole milk for at least 4 hours
>seat heat dial to medium (electric) or 1/3 (gas)
>when pan is ready add steak and enough (fresh) milk to come halfway up steak
>lightly simmer for five-six minutes on each side
>salt/pepper (don't need anything else) and wala, a perfectly done steak

>inb4 doneness trolls- you have to work your way up to eating raw meat and not getting the shits like an Indian has to work up to eating feces without dying- in the meantime you know your steak should be "well done" because it's the only fucking thermo with "done" in the name
>>
>>7178653
>primal cut

Cheers for the new band name, mate
>>
>>7178639
>shoulder cut

beef stew. be sure to cook that tough shit down for at least 2 hours
>>
>>7179027
You left out the jelly beans.
>>
>>7179027
is this milksteak?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.