[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
christmas for two
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
it's just me and my so for xmas this year but I'm having trouble finding recipes for mains that don't serve 8+ people. all the hams and turkeys in stores are massive. we don't have a huge fridge so heaps of leftovers aren't ideal. how do I do Christmas for two?
>>
>>7178506
Cornish game hens
>>
>>7178510
I'm not in England and I don't think i could get them imported in time.
Thanks anyway.
>>
>>7178513
>I'm not in England
Uh, me either
>>
Nice steaks or a small rib roast. Lobster, whatever. Make a few nice sides, like a baked potato, maybe a fresh green salad or something. It's not too hard.

We made Mexican food for Christmas one year. It was great.
>>
You got any preferences that would narrow things down a bit? Otherwise this is kind of a "my spoon's too big" question.
>>
>>7178506
You can get cornish game hens at most major grocery stores in the U.S. A few places can also get you duck, which is pretty fucking delicious, desu senpai.
>>
>>7178506
Steaks, if you have a grill, would be fantastic. Most sides can be made in smaller portions.
>>
>>7178506
If you look hard enough, you should be able to find a small ham or a half ham. You can also get just turkey breasts instead of the whole turkey. Or like >>7178521 said, get a couple decent steaks or a small prime rib roast.

I'd recommend prime rib, but that's just because I always make prime rib for christmas so it's basically my default christmas meal. A local butcher or the butcher counter at a supermarket will be able to cut a smaller roast if they don't have any already cut.
>>
>>7178524
prefer leg ham and turkey rather than chicken or roast pork. I have lamb and beef roast often enough anyway. probably roast veg and a salad for sides, cherry cheesecake for dessert. my local butcher is selling fresh turkey breast soon so I might try and do a stuffed turkey roll? it's mainly the ham that's giving me issues because I want bone in without spending $30+ and taking up all my fridge room. plus my oven isn't huge enough to roast both a ham and a turkey...

>>7178510
hmm I've seen quail at my local butcher but I'm not game enough (haha) to try it first time for a special event

>>7178521
I don't mind lobster but my so hates seafood

thanks for the suggestions! hopefully try and get some friends over for tea to help with the leftovers.
>>
>>7180509

You're not being very flexible here. Turkey and ham are common Christmas dishes because they're big. There are plenty of other options - the Austrians eat goose, the Danes eat pork, Poles eat carp, the French have a capon, in Japan they get a bucket of KFC. If you're going to insist that you stick with not just one, but both of the things that you're having problems with, then there's not a lot to be done. Besides which, it's the sides and dessert that make Christmas, not the type of meat. Do something like a goose or large duck, and serve it with chestnut stuffing and things like sprouts, follow it up with a Christmas pudding.
>>
>>7178506
Why isn't your SO's son staying with you for Christmas?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.