[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chick live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: livers.jpg (38 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
livers.jpg
38 KB, 600x399
Chicken liver. Your thoughts?
>>
>>7174809
Bump for interest. Never had it but I want to.
>>
>>7174822
What's been stopping you? It's easy as doing a shit, and tastes twice as good.
>>
http://ww2.kqed.org/jpepinheart/2015/08/27/chicken-livers-in-mushroom-port-sauce/ this worth having a go? Not sure about that ketchup though...
>>
Chicken fried chicken livers are good. There used to be a small time Sunday buffet in the town we lived in. They had fried chicken, fried chicken livers, fried gizzards, etc. The whole damn chicken fried up in pieces, almost.

I like to take the fried livers and put them in a super spicy tomato based stew and serve it over rice. It's a thing my dad always made when I was a kid. I don't know if he got it from a recipe book or if that is an ethnic dish or if he thought it up.
>>
>>7174835
The looks are a turnoff. It just looks yucky like gooey.
>>
>>7174809
Great fried and great in Bolognese.
>>
my grandma used to feed chicken livers to her cats
>>
>>7174841
god damn i want to eat that stew
>>
>>7174839
Ketchup is usually just a shortcut for vinegar, tomato paste, and a little sugar. You could just use those ingredients instead if you'd feel better about it but that's pretty much the same thing.

Recipe looks pretty decent though. I'd probably serve it with something other than rice.
>>
What are livers actually good for?

I've tried slicing and frying them (in a stir-fry, more or less liver and onions) and they're definitely not bad, but it comes out to something like "meat with a slightly strange texture" and it seems like using anything else would be better in every way except cost.

Anybody have any experience with pate? Any other uses for it?
>>
>>7174809
i fry them and give them to my dog

tried it once, tastes like a rubber boot that spent its whole life in a barn
>>
They're tasty.

They're nice breaded and fried, stuck on a skewer and grilled teriyaki-style. They're key in dirty rice and other cajun/creole dishes.

>>7174874
>Anybody have any experience with pate?
Pate and terrines are fucking awesome but honestly duck liver is soooo much better in those applications.
>>
I love chicken livers. I make chicken liver on toast with onion, mushroom and pine nut madeira cream sauce.

So cheap and so delicious.
>>
I like the heart and liver when I fry a chicken but I never tried the gizzard. It seems like it would be too rubbery.

Is >>7175518 sure he wasn't frying up the gizzard because the liver is not like that at all.
>>
File: choppedliverplatter1.jpg (185 KB, 550x433) Image search: [Google]
choppedliverplatter1.jpg
185 KB, 550x433
Boy I was just thinking about making some chopped liver.
Damn, that shit is so tasty.
>>
>>7175532
>liver is not like that at all.

unless he overcooked it
>>
Gizzard takes a lot more work, but chicken livers are great. Chicken liver pate is very easy, fast and super good. Also chicken liver and capers pasta Firenze style is very very good. Putting some chicken livers and hearts in a ragu is a great grandmother trick.
>>
i love it in a good salad
>>
>>7175532
i dunno, i fried up that whole little bag, i guess admittedly i didn't take the time to investigate what was what
>>
>>7174809
Great bait for catfish.
>>
File: 2014-10-27 21.56.13.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2014-10-27 21.56.13.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7174809
I make chicken liver and onions every few months
>>
It's delicious, but eat it fast. Livers taste like hell the second day.
>>
>>7174809
I love 'em, chicken hearts too.
>>
>>7174822
Go to a churrasco, a Brasilian steakhouse. They bring them around on skewers. You might have to ask for the hearts and livers separately, but they're available. Most folk just don't know to ask. Enjoy!
>>
File: angry-black-man2.jpg (14 KB, 538x362) Image search: [Google]
angry-black-man2.jpg
14 KB, 538x362
>mfw I buy a whole chicken and there is no giblets bag in it
>>
>>7175838
I don't think I've had a giblet bag in at least 3 years.
Do they just throw it out or is it processed into nuggies?
Don't care much for liver but the rest was nice.
>>
File: 1444965992908.jpg (65 KB, 657x649) Image search: [Google]
1444965992908.jpg
65 KB, 657x649
>>7174843
Stop being such a girl. Fry it with onions and they will look, smell and taste delicious.
>>
>>7174809
Delicious, but I prefer chicken stomachs.
>>
>>7176797
u mean gizzards right?
>>
>>7176800
Yessir.
>>
>>7174809
I was on a job one day and was waiting for a fellow coworker to assist me on my job as I was not as experienced as him. when he did arrive he had these two KFC boxes with him and handed me one of them. I asked him what it was and he said livers. They tasted just like KFC popcorn chicken maybe a little more chewy and different texture but they weren't that bad. I wouldn't turn them down but I don't normally order them.
>>
Fry it, chop it, eat it like a jew. My personal favorite way to eat chicken livers.
>>
>>7175838
I've never seen a bag o giblets in a chicken, I've only seen them in turkeys.
>>
Very mushy, kinda weird flavor
10/10
Would eat shit rather than liver
>>
>>7175744

I love the chicken hearts skewer from my local churrascaria. Absolutely amazing.

As far as gizzards I have never been able to make them tender. I've gotten tender fried gizzards at restaurants but have zero luck replicating them at home.
>>
There is a chef in Portland who has the most unfuckingbelivably amazing chicken liver mousse. Sweet, meaty, dark, a touch nutty. Would eat it daily if I could.
>>
>>7176956
I, on the other hand, prefer them to be chewy. Fry them up with some soy sauce and peanut butter, and they're yummy as can be!
>>
LOVE IT.

Fry it up with onions, coat the liver with flour before frying, add salt only AFTER it has been fried. Enjoy.

Cheap as fuck and surprisingly delicious, I used to ask for it errrrrryday when I was a kid. It isn't that unusual to eat it where I'm from (Poland), but most people dislike it because "ew, slimy liver". Pussies.
>>
>>7175534
I couldn't help but read that in a sarcastic voice
>>
> loves organs especially pan fried
> friends order it as a dare at a restaurant
> everyone is disgusted
> pretend to hate it
> they make me eat all of it
Mfw no face
>>
>>7174809
Not a fan honestly. I usually just cut them up to make giblet gravy. I don't care much for eating liver or other organ meats, but I don't mind it cut up small and mixed into gravy or stuffing or something like that..
>>
>>7174809
pretty delicious, just fry it (with some tomato paste + salt + onion) , eat with some rice or baguette
>>
>>7174843
it's only gooey before you fry it.

>>7174874
>What are livers actually good for?
great source of iron.
>>
>>7175518
liver is not rubbery at all. you might be confusing it with something else.
>>
>>7177155
>Ewww it's all mushy and gross !!!! xD
>Proceed to eats lips and anuses in sausage form

I feel you anon
>>
>>7176872
why should I eat like a rat? Makes my face and hands dirty.
>>
>>7177038
>prefer them to be chewy
same, it's what I like about them
>>
>>7176872
>Fry it, chop it, eat it like a jew. My personal favorite way to eat chicken livers.
>>7177217
>why should I eat like a rat? Makes my face and hands dirty.

What? I feel like I'm missing something here. Is it because some people associate rats with mice? Like the graphic novel Maus (where Jews were mice) or the movies with Fievel Mousekewitz where he fled Russia like the Jews?
>>
>>7177279
Chopped chicken liver is traditional ashkenazi Jew food. Just like bagel and lox
>>
File: benorab1.jpg (108 KB, 595x842) Image search: [Google]
benorab1.jpg
108 KB, 595x842
Pate errday
>>
>>7174809
Delicious. It's gay how places like whole foods and mrs greens don't carry it because white people are fucking stupid.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.