[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
War on Sugar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9
File: Sugar.jpg (737 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Sugar.jpg
737 KB, 1024x768
This year marks the begging of an escalation on the war on sugar.

Documentaries have been coming out, health professionals, as well as cooks, and they're all talking about how horrible sugar is for the human body..

To put it simply, calories in and out has been challenged. Before, eating 180 calories of something healthy wasn't so bad because healthier foods take longer to digest. However, eating unhealthy food packed with sugar gives you more calories because sugars are digested faster, and turned directly into fat.

A lot of companies have begun to pay medical professionals to churn out scholarly articles to dismiss the claims against sugar.

What is /ck/'s opinion on the war on sugar?

Perhaps, some of you can exploit this niche which will soon grow by offering food low on sugar!
>>
interesting thread
bump
>>
>>7170883
Yeah it's really interesting. Experts have been baffled at why America is getting so far. The common sense answer to bestiality: "just eat less, exercise more" Doesn't seem to be working. They believe this has to do with sugar. Because one can buy sodas and other varieties of food that are "diet/ low fat" but are full of sugar, thus making them just as bad for you.
>>
>>7170901
EDIT: getting so fat.
>>
File: 1267474765465.jpg (57 KB, 468x560) Image search: [Google]
1267474765465.jpg
57 KB, 468x560
>>7170901
> The common sense answer to bestiality: "just eat less, exercise more" Doesn't seem to be working.
>>
File: 1329769762824.jpg (307 KB, 480x534) Image search: [Google]
1329769762824.jpg
307 KB, 480x534
>>7170901
>The common sense answer to bestiality
>>
>>7170857
>Before, eating 180 calories of something healthy wasn't so bad because healthier foods take longer to digest. However, eating unhealthy food packed with sugar gives you more calories because sugars are digested faster, and turned directly into fat.
Calories don't work that way. When you say something has 180 kcal it means your body can get 180 kcal worth of energy from it after digestion. So the energy needed to digest it is taken into account.

And sugar isn't bad for you. Soda is bad for you simply because it's added calories that your body doesn't recognize as food at first so doesn't adjust your hunger accordingly. I occasionally have seltzer water with lime, ginger, salt and 2 tsp sugar. This is 32 kcal. Much less than the 10 spoons in coke. And it still tastes very sweet. In stuff like cake which is also bad for you it's hard to judge which is doing the most harm to you the sugar or the fat.

Ultimately I think being fat is just down toyour developing years. I'm thin and can eat big meals on occasions but have never had a huge appetite. So by not eating a lot I don't think I'm exercising tremendous self control. I have fatter freinds who find it hard to avoid eating large portions and while they can keep up a diet for some time I don't think that kind of constant vigilance is possible to maintain long term.
>>
File: nmmn.gif (1001 KB, 206x187) Image search: [Google]
nmmn.gif
1001 KB, 206x187
>>7170901
>>
File: 1442730680432.jpg (22 KB, 511x332) Image search: [Google]
1442730680432.jpg
22 KB, 511x332
>>7170905
There's a way bigger fuck-up going on in your post, man
>>
>>7170901
i..i wish i knew what this meant
>>
>>7170945
Yeah I don't think sugar is bad for you either. I just think it really adds up in the products that average people consume per day. Although I've heard somewhere, adult males are only supposed to eat 8 table spoons per day. Also it totally makes sense that its determined by your developing years since we are seeing a lot of preteens who are overweight.

>>7170901
>The common sense answer to bestiality
*obesity

Sorry, I'm not a furry or anything.
>>
>>7170901
>bestiality
Hoooo boy
>>
File: 1287867619628.jpg (60 KB, 800x513) Image search: [Google]
1287867619628.jpg
60 KB, 800x513
>>7171048
its ok u r amongst friends
>>
Sugar is a drug and people who disagree are ignorant addicts. The first use of refined sugars was by medical professionals.
>>
Sugar does more harm to your body than simply making you fat. It also spikes your blood sugar, which causes you to crave more food.

>beastiality
>>
>>7171109
Please, define "drug" for me.
>>
How about we ditch HFCS and start using cane/beet sugar for things again before we start saying "NUUUUUH SUGAR AM TEH DEVIL IN MURIKA," seeing as sugar has been phased out in almost fucking everything in favor of HFCS.
>>
File: 1358189260425.jpg (212 KB, 1000x1554) Image search: [Google]
1358189260425.jpg
212 KB, 1000x1554
>>7170857
So do you have any reading material or sources on everything you are bringing to the table?
>inb4 google
Don't ass me to find your sources when you start with a claim.
>>
>>7170857
>waging war on sugar
>not high fructose corn syurp

Nobody uses sugar in their products anymore because its more cost effective to use man made abominations like HFCS and partially hydrogenated oils.
>>
>>7171118
Relax, this "sugar is the reason everyone's fat" fad will blow over by 2017 when a bunch of people try a sugar free diet, complain that it's hard to stick to, not lose any weight or if they do, keep the weight off, and then they'll move on to the next food boogieman.
>>
>>7171129
I cut out all soda,lost 50 pounds and have kept it off for two years, so far so good
>>
>>7171133
Good job on the weight loss. That has more to do with cutting excess calories (soda often having 140+ calories a 16 oz can) than anything, but still, good on you.
>>
>>7171137
Yea and all of those were empty Sugar calories.
>>
>>7171141
The key being that they were calories. If you were consuming as many calories as you were getting from that soda in pretty much any other medium, you would still have gained that weight. Cutting the same amount of calories as you averaged from the soda you drank out of your diet would have achieved the same results.
>>
>>7171048
> adult males are only supposed to eat 8 table spoons per day

what would that be based on?

I think sugar is fuckng awful for you, if you're healthy you may not understand the effects of the chronic use of sugar has over a person. it is like a drug no different than alcohol or caffeine. These things are hard to quit when ever you've been consuming for so long.

It is a matter of will power yeah, the same way it is a matter of will power to quit smoking or quit heroine or cocaine use.
>>
>>7171168
I meant 12 oz. Dunno how I hit '6' instead.
>>
File: halfcup.jpg (25 KB, 510x300) Image search: [Google]
halfcup.jpg
25 KB, 510x300
>>7171137
> 140 calories
> 39g of sugar

You think... 39 grams isnt bad, then you see pic related and realise it is nearly half a cup of sugar
>>
>>7171184

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3P73agzjBg

I can't believe they made this video, it's so bad on so many levels.
>>
>>7171189
>The average time to burn 140 [calories] while biking [at 10-12 mph] is 23 minutes, if you're 140 lbs.

Calorie Calculator for biking:
http://www.bicycling.com/training/weight-loss/cycling-calories-burned-calculator

CDC statistics for male and female height and weight:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/body-measurements.htm

Using these measurements (average weights, 10-12 mph on a bike and the same 23 minutes requirement), the average American man would have burned 204 calories. The average American woman would have burned 173 calories.

I have no idea why I bothered to figure any of this out.
>>
>>7170857
>What is /ck/'s opinion on the war on sugar?
you can consume sugar and be healthy, but most people don't even realize how much they're consuming.

a 12 oz can of coke has 3 tablespoons of sugar. it's a lot, but not completely terrible if you aren't consuming sugar from other sources. but there are even loaves of bread that have a teaspoon of sugar per slice. even a burger from mcdonald's has almost two teaspoons of sugar. a tiny little burger.
>>
>>7171247
>I have no idea why I bothered to figure any of this out.

It's a good thing that you question your sources anon! This isn't even autism.

>>7171335
>you can consume sugar and be healthy, but most people don't even realize how much they're consuming

This. Sure people might glance at the nutrition facts, but what do those numbers even mean to them, even whey they are added up? The average person doesn't know shit about macronutrients and will probably just say "oh well that is lot lol *chug soda" and that's the end of it.

In America I feel really, REALLY let down by public schools for not teaching me SHIT about nutrition. I didn't learn about any of this until I was a hamplanet lurking on /fit/ looking to change. Like yeah most of it is "duh" knowledge now, but children who don't learn this will never know until they start to care about their weight.
>>
Just tax sugar and the price of sugary foods will go up and the incentive for lowering sugar in processed foods will be greater and american farmers will get more money from people buying fresh produce and people will switch to calorie free soda and eventually processed foods will have too much salt and fat and make us all ill but that's a problem for the next administration to solve

>PROTIP: Tax salt or fat
>>
>>7170857
>eating unhealthy food packed with sugar gives you more calories because sugars are digested faster, and turned directly into fat.

Untrue. Only dietary fat is turned directly into fat after a meal. Sugar is stored as glycogen, which is a watery substance the muscles use for fuel during exercise.

De novo Lipogenesis, turning sugars into fat, is not an efficient process and the body avoids doing it.

So know this. it is clear that eating a low fat diet, and spacing out meals, is the key to losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight.
>>
There are so many artificial sweeteners out there, so sugar should hardly even be an issue. It is fat that is the real killer.
>>
>>7172256
Oh fuck off. You're wrong.
Glucose is stored as glycogen, yes.
But sugar is only 50% glucose.
Sugar is so 50% fructose, which is only metabolized by the liver, and the liver turns it directly into fat 100% of the time.
Interesting to note that fructose is metabolized the exact same way as alcohol, to give you an idea of how good sugar is for you.

Fat on the other hand is metabolized directly by every organ in your body besides your brain. But your brain can be energized by fat metabolism.
>>
>>7170901
That's literally because people aren't eating less and moving more you fucking idiot
>>
>>7172272
Dude just reading fructolysis in wikipedia shows you're wrong. It's glucose that gets turned into fat. Around 40% of fructose gets turned into glucose by the liver. But the liver doesn't turn fructose into fat. It's glucose that goes into the tissue that gets turned into fat.
>>
>>7170901
>The common sense answer to bestiality: "just eat less, exercise more"

HOLY FUCK GET ALABAMA ON THE LINE
>>
>>7171113
harmful addictive substance?
>>
I just hope it doesnt end like the war on salt where everyone developed an iodine deficiency
>>
>>7172272
>The liver turns fructose directly into fat 100% of the time.
No.

>Fat on the other hand is metabolized directly by every organ in your body besides your brain

Well nourished humans have so much fat that they don't need any extra fat most of the time. All fat is stored first, and then gradually metabolized.
>>
>>7170901
Anon.....did you reply to the wrong thread? Kek
>>
>>7171247
>I have no idea why I bothered to figure any of this out.
You were going to point out that another big factor in Americans getting so fat in recent decades is because we've increasingly made it impractical for people to go places unless they're strapped into a car?

It's especially bad for children:
http://guide.saferoutesinfo.org/introduction/the_decline_of_walking_and_bicycling.cfm
>>
>>7172445
try again numbnuts
>>
>>7172425
>>7172470
FUCK you, you don't know what you're talking about. Stop pulling shit out your ass!
I hate drug addicts like you, say whatever bullshit you can think of to justify your drug addiction and continue using.
>>
>>7171048
Aww. I thought we were making jokes about how fats are animals, not people.
>>
>>7172639
>drug addicts
Fat is highly addictive. So maybe you're the addict? i don't eat much sugar, btw. I eat a lot of carbs though.
>>
>>7172639
You are saying shit that's clearly just false like liver turning fructose into fat. Shit that can be easily checked using wikipedia. What is wrong with you?
>>
>>7170857

Sugar is evil and it should be illegal, the judge dred universe has it right.
>>
File: lizard.jpg (88 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
lizard.jpg
88 KB, 720x960
http://www.peacefuldumpling.com/sweet-or-dangerous-sugar
>>
>>7171184
Way back when I was in school a teacher did exactly this, and the image has stuck in my head ever since.

>sugar being bad for you
I generally think it is. I don't necessarily buy into it being the ultimate evil, but I think it's something that should be avoided in excess, probably more so than other things.

And I still think the age old advice of moderation and exercise is still king. The occasional meal or drink that's packed with sugar is fine, it's the everyday can of pop that should be avoided.
>>
>>7170857
It's bad for you, everyone knows that, it's common sense. Just don't eat/drink too much of it. You'll be fine.
>>
>>7174456
Oh, I should also mention that fruit is not included here. Tests have been done with people eating up to 20 servings of fruit per day, they blood sugars never changed, some actually improved. So yea, eat all the fruit you want.
>>
>>7174462
I would like to see those tests. I'm pretty sure fructose is fructose.
>>
>>7170857
Its 2015!! Why isn't sugar banned already and pot legalized on a federal level. You guys are bigots if you disagree
>>
>>7174537
But if we ban sugar an legalize pot, then what will all the stoners munch on?
>>
>>7171189
That's disgusting.
>>
>>7170901
>Yeah it's really interesting. Experts have been baffled at why America is getting so far. The common sense answer to bestiality: "just eat less, exercise more"
quite the freudian slip there m8
>>
>>7170857
Sugar?

Well I'm a boozer so it all gets metabolized into the same thing. Carbs as well. They're polysacchirides and break down into regular sugar. They make any note of that? Hmm?

That being said calories in calories out is a fitness thing that only applies to morons who treat their body as a machine rather than an organism.

Also the total glycemic load makes no difference how quickly it spikes your insulin from what I understand. Your pancreas produces the same amount of insulin in response whether its all at once or over the course of 40 minutes.
>>
>>7170857

I think sugar labeling laws should be changed, and I have tried to cut down on unnecessary sugars.

Its in so much shit you wouldnt think
>>
>>7174573
everything savory and starchy

every stoner knows good hearty meats, salt, and starches trump any other kind of dish when baked af.
>>
>>7174475
>Stop eating fruit! It's bad for you because it has sugar in it!
>>
Some of the shit in this thread just reinforces my belief that /ck/ is filled with insane fatties/former fatties with no self control who unironically believe shit like "sugar is a drug that needs to be banned"
>>
>>7177067
Except it is a chemical with exactly the same neurological effects as Class 1 Narcotics. How does that fit into your post war commie conspiracy eh Mandrake?
>>
>>7170945
Strong nonunderstanding of physiology lmao
>>
If i eat sugar before bed like candy. I end up sleeping like 13 hours. Or/and wake up with a fat ass headache. Anyone else this happen to?
>>
>>7170857
Refined sugars such as sucrose, HFCS, and other extracted forms of sugar that are absent from the plant that produced them are indeed bad for you. The human body evolved to derive sugar from fruit and meat, where it was combined with fiber, proteins, and other nutrients. Shoving pure sugar into it and expecting it to know what to do with it is in hindsight pretty silly.

It's not going to stop me from eating it though.
>>
>>7170857
Sugar is cheap and people like it. This means many people consume more of it than they should either knowingly or unknowingly. The same is true for salt, meat and cheese. Make desirable foods cheap and people over consume them.

It's not like our forefathers had greater self control than we do today, it's that they couldn't afford to eat as much sugar, cheese and meat as we do today, because that shit was more expensive back in the day.

I don't see how there could possibly be a war on sugar coming when our government subsidizes the production of HFCS, along with cheap cheese and meat. And we don't need these things to be cheap. It's a dangerous waste of money.
>>
>>7174475
Fructose IS fructose, but when you glom a bunch of fructose into soluble fiber it behaves differently. Shocker.
>>
>>7171079
testing the wordfilter
obesity
>>
>>7170857

They are simply too scared to call out soft drinks and they attack everything else unnecessarily.

Cut out soft drinks and what's left of sugar in the diet becomes irrelevant for most people.
>>
>>7179211
I think you're seriously underestimating the amount of sugar added to everything nowadays. Yes soft drinks are a heinous offender but there's a major problem with most prepared food products now.
>>
>>7172445
That's an awful definition.

How about 'small molecule with physiological effects related to its structure, commonly by binding at identifiable receptor sites'.
>>
>>7179211
some bread has a teaspoon of sugar in each slice. this is being sold as regular sandwich bread, not sweet bread or anything.
>>
>>7171048
>Sorry, I'm not a furry or anything.

Freud would like to have a few words with you, anon
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.