[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to make rice and beans in a crockpot without having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
Is it possible to make rice and beans in a crockpot without having to either cook the rice or soak the beans first? Every recipe I find online requires the rice be cooked before hand and I just want to throw everything in at once and not worry about it.
>>
Probably not. By the time the beans are completely cooked, the rice would be pretty much disintegrated into slop.
>>
You may have better luck with rice and lentils because lentils cook much faster than beans, but even then it won't be perfect.
>>
Don't throw it all in at once. I would make sure the beans were cooked first and then make sure there is enough liquid and add the rice. If you are dead set on doing it all in a crockpot.
>>
With rice? No, it has a different cook time. Beans you shouldn't be presoaking anyways unless you buy cheap as shit beans and need to get the excess dirt off.
>>
>>7170874
I've read this before, but I don't understand it. I can see all the bubbles from the extracted sugar. I once drank the water to confirm, and was gassy as hell for the entire day. It's going to be a long time before I'm convinced that soaking beans doesn't reduce farting.
>>
Only faggots soak beans and precook rice

Literally a useless step
>>
>>7170900
I tend to soak the beans so they take less time to cook whenever I cook them. I've never noticed a reduction in farts, I still toot like a fucking steam engine when I soak the beans first.
>>
>>7170914
Do you also rinse thoroughly with fresh water after draining? If not, try that next time. If it doesn't help, I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>7170922
Yeah, I usually sift through the beans for rocks and shit, dump it in a pot, cover with water and let it soak overnight then dump into a colander, rinse them off and put them back in the pot with fresh water to cook them. Still plenty of farts.
>>
>>7170756
I cook beans in a slow cookers without soaking but I never did rice in a slow cooker. Guess cause rice is some easy 10 minute shit I don't see the point.
>>
>>7170937

Soaking isn't going to cut down much on your gassiness. Eat beans consistently and it'll go away as your intestinal microbiome sorts its shit out. Beans used to make me gassy, but since I've been food-pantry poor for a few years now and eat beans in at least one meal a day, I long since sorted it out.
>>
>>7170992
Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I usually only make beans once a month or so and eat it for a few days so it's a fart bonanza for a couple days at my house.

Always amusing when it wakes up my dog.
>>
>>7170756
Put everything but the rice in the crockpot and just cook the rice separately when it's done (it takes like 15 minutes).
>>
>>7170756
i've never done this but i know you can use "converted rice" in some recipes like that.
>>
nah man cook the rice and beans separate

i had this meal all the time as a kid and we'd add delicious sausages. soaking the beans is unnecessary but makes you less gassy when you eat them
>>
You have to cook them separate, but yes beans come out very well in a slow cooker.. you could also do rice in a slow cooker. Rice and lentils cook perfectly together in a rice cooker or slow cooker.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.