[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me your salsa recipes. I can't get enough of the salsa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
Give me your salsa recipes.

I can't get enough of the salsa the have at mexican restaurants in my area.
Pic related is the best viscosity.
>>
>>7170684
When I make mine, I usually take some ripe plum tomatoes, put them on a baking sheet with some jalapenos and serranos and a few gloves of garlic and stick them under the broiler and flip them occasionally to char all sides, then throw them all in a blender with some chopped onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper and usually some cumin, then blend to the consistency I want.

I also like to swap the tomatoes for tomatillos for green salsa sometimes. Sometimes I throw in a couple of chipotle peppers with the adobo sauce too.
>>
>>7170696
Fuck, meant cloves of garlic, not gloves. Though I'm sure people got it unless they're completely retarded.
>>
>>7170684
Moe's Southwest used to have this seasonal cranberry lime salsa that was absolutely delicious. I would go 2 or 3 times a week just to get a big ass cup of that shit.
>>
>>7170702
>Gloves of Garlic
>Enchanted Equipment
>Ability: Wearer can press these gloves against someone's face and it'll burn, it'll hurt even more if you manage to slip a finger inside their mouths
>Disadvantages: annoyingly sticky fingers and the smell of freshly cut garlic lingers around you
>>
>>7170705
That actually sounds good, I've never thought of putting cranberries in salsa before. I might grab a bag and give it a shot the next time I go to the store.
>>
>>7170710
>Disadvantages: /ck/ will call your gloves a unitasker and say that you could just use a bulb of garlic to do the same thing
>>
>>7170702
Too late, I've activated my gloves with garlic.
>>
>>7170711
Yeah honestly this is the first time I've thought about making it from scratch and it's been almost a year since they've had it lol
>>
All the recipes I've tried to follow say to just dice the ingredients and leave them sitting together overnight. It doesn't seem like salsa to me. Not saucy at all.
>>
I keep mine simple, no blending.

5 tomatoes, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
3 jalapenos, de-seeded and minced
1 bunch cilantro, de-stemmed and chopped
1 tsp lime zest
salt to taste
>>
>>7170795
>removing the stems of your cilantro
dude wat

just chop it really fine, there's no reason to waste all that flavor.
>>
>>7170684
I tried Newmans Own corn and black bean salsa, I was surprised at how good it was.
>>
>>7170795
mine is almost exactly the same except for using Serranos instead of Jalepenos.

On a related note, once you get used to fresh salsa/pico why does every salsa in a jar taste like crap ?
>>
>>7170684
it's been a long while since i made salsa but iirc i had bell peppers,tomato,chili,onion,black pepper,honey,salt,garlic and cayenne pepper.
i've started making pico de gallo instead which is imo superior to salsa, try it out sometime
>>
>>7170880

Because it is crap dude. Preservative filled, way past fresh, crap. Jarred or bottled salsa has no flavor to me anymore, can't touch the stuff.
>>
>>7170880
>why does every salsa in a jar taste like crap
Usually because they overcook it in the canning process and add way too much salt/msg/preservatives.
>>
>>7170864
One of my go to salsas actually. It's pretty tasty stuff and I like Newmans products because all of their profits go to charitable organizations.
>>
>>7170684
Chipotle Salsa
1/2 yellow onion, quartered
4 roma tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 chipotle in adobo
1/2 cup cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon salt
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and place onions, tomatoes and garlic in pan. Roast and turn until charred on all sides, then add oil and fry until soft.
In a blender combine chipotle, cilantro, lime juice, salt and charred onions, tomatoes and garlic. Puree until smooth. Chill and serve with tortilla chips.
>>
>>7170684
Salsa
5 roma tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 white onion, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 jalapenos, diced
3 tablespoon chopped cilantro
2 green onions, sliced
2 tablespoon lime juice
salt and black pepper, to taste
opt. 2 habanero peppers, minced
Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse.
>>
>>7170684
Salsa Fresca
3 cups diced roma tomatoes
1/4 cup diced yellow onions
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, diced
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until completely pureed.
>>
>>7170684
Salsa Verde
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 cup green or yellow onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
5 medium tomatillos, husked and chopped
opt; 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
For roasted version cut tomatillos in half and broil until blackened, about 5 minutes.
Place all ingredients in a food processor. Puree or process to desired consistency. Chill overnight.
>>
>>7171279
>>7171283
>>7171292

>Garlic
Never in my salsa, compadre. It don't belong.
>>
File: thedude.jpg (76 KB, 625x352) Image search: [Google]
thedude.jpg
76 KB, 625x352
>>7171339
>>
>>7170787
After dicing, separate the ingredients in half. Put half in the food processor, then mix it all back together. It's half and half creamy and diced consistency. All the texture but it sticks together.
>>
File: cq5dam.web.616.462[1].jpg (72 KB, 616x462) Image search: [Google]
cq5dam.web.616.462[1].jpg
72 KB, 616x462
Mango jalapeno salsa is my favorite, but I like the mangos chopped finer than in this pic
>>
I take this out of the jar, and blend it up to make it perfectly smooth, and then put it back in the jar.

If the chips I have are not very salty, I'll add some salt.

It is the best salsa.
>>
here's how we do it at the restaurant i manage.

makes 5 - 6 gallons (lol)

2 #10 cans crushed tomatoes
1 #10 can tomato paste
1.5 gallons chopped onions
6 chopped bundles cilantro
10 chopped jalapenos (this with the cilantro fills a gallon sized container)
.5 gallons tomato juice
1.5 gallons chopped raw tomatoes
.75 cups ground garlic (blended with corn oil)
1/4 cup sugar, chili powder, cumin
1/8 cup salt, pepper
1 cup corn oil
.75 cup rice wine vinegar

do not over or underblend. mixtures should be kinda chunky but no large chunks (chopping shit uniformly is key here)

add cans to container
blend cilantro, jalps and garlic with some tomato juice, add to container
blend onions with tomato juice, add to container
blend tomatoes with tomato juice, add to container
add sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper
add oil and vinegar
whisk like a crackhead
bam

by far the best salsa i've had at any restaurant
>>
>>7171288
salsa fresca is better made without a food processor

imo it should be 3 parts onion 2 parts onion 1 part jalps
add enough cilantro to make it look pretty green

chop everything fine as shit
throw it in a bowl
add rice wine vinegar and a little white vinegar

best salsa fresca
>>
>>7170684
I'm one of those people to which cilantro tastes like shit/soap. Like, actual bar soap. It is harsh and disgusting. I just can't in2. Chalk it up to genetics.

Is there any legit salsa hope for me? Seems like cilantro is a very prominent ingredient. Are all these recipes ruined with the annexation of the herb? Am I a massive pleb if I make cilantro-less salsa?
>>
>>7171695

Yeah it's shit genetics, sorry you can't into the best herb for salsa bro. Try substituting it for Spicy Thai Basil; won't be as sweet as normal Basil and the spicy flavor will add more depth to your salsa.

Do you get the same taste with coriander as you do with cilantro? Same plant, different form. They have different tastes, but belong in the same flavor profile. Could also try experimenting with that.
>>
>>7170684

Pace Picante, run it thru a tomato press 2 or three times, allow to chill in the fridge.

smooth & creamy just like in the restaurant.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.