[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When is it okay to use generic brand goods? I bought cheap imitationo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 20142204100814.jpg (446 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
20142204100814.jpg
446 KB, 800x600
When is it okay to use generic brand goods?

I bought cheap imitationo vanilla (not even real vanilla) because it's like $5 cheaper and comes in bigger bottles. What about seasonings? Are the cheap ones good?
>>
>>7169718
not if it's rounded or estimated
>>
>>7169697
>are generics good?
Really varies from product to product:

Things like canned tomatoes for instance, there's going to be variations between brands, but there's no real connection between quality/flavor and price, you just have to sample them all and find what works best for given applications.

Very simple things (white sugar, salt, baking powder, milk with a given fat percentage), they're chemically identical regards of the name on the package, so there's no reason to buy anything but the cheapest brand.

Spices, there's no real difference but if you're buying pre-ground spices in a little jar at the grocery store you're getting a shitty product regardless - buy whole spices and grind them yourself.

The one place where there's usually a real difference between generics and major brand names are in pre/partially-prepared foodstuffs, things like breakfast cereals and frozen pizzas, because those contain multiple ingredients and use legally trademarked recipes.
>>
>>7169697
don't ever buy generic powdered sugar, it's always stale and if you make a frosting out of it your shit tastes worse than boxed
>>
>>7169760
This is the stupidest advice ever.
Clearly you do not shop or cook worth shit.
>>
>>7169862
great argument
>>
>>7169697
Using imitation vanilla over the real stuff is not the same as buying store brand jfc.
>>
>>7169862
>this hipster faggot thinks his $18 bottle of salt makes his food better
>>
>>7169862
...he's right though
>>
>>7169697
Generics are usually good if its something new youre doing, or arent used to.

I grew up on legit vanilla extract so budget brands actually are repulsive, same with waffle syrup and peanut butter.

When cooking for others id say its more about proportion, unseasoned tomatoes are hard to give a shit about one way or the other you know?

I mean then stuff like budget canned tuna is just fish water with no chunks.... which is okay in a casserole or something but for like a sandwich its not good at all....

I think it just varies is all!
>>
>>7170004
>>7170030
>all milk is exactly the same
>all salt is exactly the same
Maybe in flyover land.
>>
>>7170064
>fructose isn't fructose
>>
All unexpired eggs taste the same, regardless of how the chicken is raised. Fresh eggs from free-range are better in texture than packaged battery eggs because they are fresher, not because of any inherent qualitative difference.
>>
>>7169697
it's only ok when you admit that you're a fuckin' frog poster
>>
>>7169697
It all depends on your taste/budget/intentions.

Sometimes comfort food is cheap food.
I never skimp of the fundamentals.
>>
Kroger brand generic shit is pretty decent tbqh.
>>
>>7169697
Kroger brand is pretty good mate.
>>
>>7169760
Also to add to this post. Many generic brands are made by and packaged at the same factories using identical ingredients as the name brands.
>>
>>7170259
You think hipsters poison their own food with chemicals?
>>
I always buy cheap pasta. Why spend £2.99 n spaghetti when I can get the same amount for £0.18. I don't see how differently you can combine semolina and flour. Also with canned tomatoes if I'm not buying San Marzano I'll just go for the generic.
Generic brand canned sweetcorn tastes terrible to me too, literally like eating plastic
>>
>>7169843
Sugar can get stale?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.