[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rice Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: rice.jpg (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
38 KB, 640x480
I want that fluffiness/softness of the rice I get at Chinese/Korean restaurants, but when I try cooking my own rice in my rice cooker, I can't get to that point.

I'm using Jasmine rice right now and I'm either cooking it wrong or using the wrong type of rice.
>>
I really like Rice Krispy treats
>>
>>7169247
Chinesefag here. 2 tips for cooking nice rice.

Buy the best quality jasmine rice you can get. Price usually is a good indicator of quality, and try to get it at an Asian market. Best if the rice was recently harvested.

Invest in a good rice cooker. Yes you can cook rice on a stove but it is much easier and more consistent with a rice cooker. Buy one with a thick base so it will cook evenly.
>>
They use short grain rice and if you want it sticky for chopsticks you add rice vinegar and sugar.
>>
>>7169247
What's your rice to water ratio? If you use too little water = the rice would be hard, if you use too much = it'll be mushy. Try a 1 cup rice:1 1/2 cup water ratio for long grain white rice.
>>
>>7169260
He has a rice cooker and age/quality has nothing to do with it.

What you should do is polish the rice before you cook it. Vigorously rub the grains between your hands to get all the starch coating off the rice. Repeat 2-3 times.

Use less water if you want fluffier rice. More water = more dense rice.

When it is done cooking, coat a fork with sesame/olive oil/butter (depending on what its being served with) and fluff the rice. Then let it sit in the rice cooker for another 5-10 mins, fluff again with fork and serve.
>>
>>7169278
I've been doing 1:1 with the rice cooker. I can give that ratio a shot since I'm trying to finish off this bag.

Do some rice/water ratio techniques work differently for stove top than rice cookers? A year or so back, I tried doing so with the finger trick and my rice came out terribly.
>>
>>7169247
Ever tried rinsing your rice a few times?
>>
Another chinafag here.

Are you eating it right when the machine beeps? I've got one of those fuzzy logic cookers and I have to give the rice an extra 10 to 15 mins of rest after it beeps to get the right texture I want. Only after the rest do I open the lid and give it a good fluffing with some chopsticks.
>>
>>7169322
I have a cheap Panasonic rice cooker with the on/off switch. I wait 10 minutes after it clicks. I should start considering getting a replacement. The rice pot itself is plastic coated and the paint is starting to peel.

I really want to know if it's me being shit at making rice before I go out spending a bit of money on a new rice cooker.
>>
It's probably too much water, not enough washing or both.

Put rice in strainer in a bowl.
Under running water, swish it about gently with your hand in a claw-like shape until the bowl is full, then off the water.
Swish about a little more, pull the strainer out of the water and discard the starchy water.
Put the strainer back in the bowl and run cold water over it, this time not swishing it about. This is to rinse off excess starch.
Drain again.
Is the water relatively clear? If yes, your rice is ready, so continue to the line below. If not, repeat from above.
Drain as much excess water as possible from the rice.
Put into the rice cooker and add the right amount of water for your particular sort of rice and rice cooker. This can vary, but 2:1 rice:water is what I use for the rice I buy (hom mali) in the rice cooker I use (an electric pressure cooker). Yours may be as high as 2:3 rice:water. Rarely will it ever be 1:2 rice:water.
A general rule of thumb (rule of knuckle?) is to put your hand on the top of your rice and pour water up to the topmost knuckle of the middle finger for up to four cups of rice, the topmost joint of the thumb for up to six cups of rice and the wrist for up to eight cups of rice.

You can try the Sicilian method of rice preparation, too, if you're still not getting good results.

Bring plenty of water to the boil.
Add some unwashed, nonglutinous rice.
Boil, tasting now and again, until just under desired doneness.
Drain and rinse under cool, running water until it runs clear.
Shake out excess liquid from the rice and put back into the pot.
Place a lid on the pot and heat it with your hand on the lid; when it gets too hot to comfortably keep your hand there, off the heat and let it finish in the steam of its own residual heat.
No measuring, no guesswork and completely foolproof.
>>
>>7169302
Oh. Have you never experimented with the water amount? Depending on the rice type you need to put more or less water. And this too: >>7169305 Don't forget to rinse the rice until the water's all clear before you put all the measured water in.
>>
>>7169247

My Jasmine rice technique:
1. 1 cup of rice
2. 1 1/2 cup of water
3. cover with lid and place on burner
4. once rice begins to boil, turn burner to low setting
5. cook on low setting for 20 minutes
6. 20 minutes complete, turn off stove and let pot rest for 10 minutes
7. uncover, fluff, serve.

It never fails, anon.

Just make sure you're there to turn the heat down when it starts to boil, and never take the lid off, and you'll be golden.

Fuck "rice cookers".
>>
>>7169643
this
>>
File: 1447585888918.jpg (29 KB, 283x357) Image search: [Google]
1447585888918.jpg
29 KB, 283x357
>>7169302
>1:1 with the rice cooker
You can make edible rice with that ratio?
>>
Am I the only chink here who hates Jasmine? Medium grain is better and way more versatile.
>>
https://youtu.be/HiX88aAtb1I
Best rice
>>
parboiled rice is shit by definition
>>
>>7169247
I use jasmine rice, olive oil, basil and kosher salt tbqh
>>
>>7169934
In my POS rice cooker, if I have any more than that the water doesn't all evaporate and the rice doesn't cook all the way
>>
>>7169643
How do you know if the water is boiling without opening the lid?
>>
>>7170742
Steam escaping from under the lid. I assume you have ears as well, so you should also be able to hear it boiling. Some people even have glass lids on their pots that you can see through as well.
>>
OP here, I tried a combination of the tips in the thread like intensely washing the rice and changing the water ratio.

It's a lot better. Appreciate the help everyone.
>>
>>7169337
After it clicks you take the paddle and fluff it up real good and then close it up again. It moves the rice around and lets the undercooked rice to get catch some steam.
>>
>>7170742
If you don't have a see through lid, just wait until it starts to boil, then put the lid on, and you'll be good, anon.
>>
>put rice in bowl, add water
>strain water out, repeat until clear water
>soak in water for at least an hour, strain
>add to pot, 1 1/4 part water for every part rice
>secure lid, bring to boil over med heat
>after boil, reduce heat to low, simmer 10min
>then remove from heat, let rest 12min
>stir, then serve

Key is to not remove the lid throughout the entire process. Makes perfect fluffy rice every time
>>
>>7169260
>Chinesefag
>best quality

please.
>>
>>7169265
No you add rice, vingegar and sugar if you're making sushi. If you use short grain rice it will be sticky if you don't completely fuck it up
>>
>>7169337
Does it have a locking lid? If no, just toss it in the garbage and use a pot, its making the rice worse than using a pot. If it does then its the rice you're using
>>
>>7169302
I've only cooked rice on stove, and I always use 1:1.5.
>>
>>7169643
Exactly this.
>>
>>7169282
>>7169643
>fluff
I've literally never heard this as a verb. What exactly does it mean? Just stirring it around before serving?
>>
>>7171238
>I've literally never heard this as a verb
Do you live under a rock?
>>
>>7171246
Denmark, I don't often read stuff about cooking in English, and we don't exactly have a tradition for rice here.
>>
>>7171238
Yes, anon.

Just take a fork to it and kind of stir it around a bit so it's not clumpy when you serve it on a plate.
>>
>>7169247
Senpai, forget about Asian rice, what you want is Arabic rice. Basmati rice is in my opinion the best rice in the world.

It is a naturally perfumed rice, if you wash it, it loses all the flavor it has. Talking with years if experience here.

Preparation
>dice an onion
>quarter up some white mushrooms
>dice some garlic
>sweat onions, garlic and mushroom in olive oil and butter until the onions are translucent
>add a cup of rice
>Stir content until the rice becomes translucent looking, that means that the rice is oiled up
>take a 1 1/3 cup of chicken broth with added parsley and 1/4 tea spoon of curry
>Add liquid, there should be an audible "Psshhhh" sound. bring to a soft boil then put the lid on then put the stove on low and set timer for 20 minutes

Perfect rice every time
>>
>>7171424
>naturally perfumed
>cook it with onion, garlic, and chicken broth

Lol, it sounds good but East Asian rice is typically used as a relatively neutral base and is not supposed to be able to stand alone like South Asian or Arabic rice. This is apples to oranges.
>>
>>7171424
>Basmati
>Arab

This nigger.
>>
You have to get Japanese rice. Usually labeled as Sushi Rice in stores.

If i'm going to eat plain white rice or making a japanese dish. I only use japanese rice.

I'll use brown rice or pleb jasmine rice for everything else.
>>
>>7169260
fuck off
>>
Recommend a good rice cooker for someone that lives alone.
>>
>>7169247
just boil the rice in a normal pan, 1:2 rice to water ratio.
rice cookers are the most useless thing in the kitchen
>>
File: DSCF7460.jpg (570 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7460.jpg
570 KB, 1024x768
>>7169247
add butter, pepper, ketchup
>>
>>7171817
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-rice-cooker/
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.