[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on antique cast iron. Is it worth the investment if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
Redpill me on antique cast iron. Is it worth the investment if I mostly just make pancakes and eggs?
>>
>redpill

Get back in your box, tripfag.
>>
>>7168881
humor me
>>
>>7168881

>getting this triggered over literally nothing
>>
The smoother the better. Cheap cast iron is sand cast and tends to be rough. This is shitty for a nonstick surface.
>>
Definitely nice for Pancakes, I really don't use my Cast Iron for Eggs, eggs are such an easy job any pan will do the trick.

I mainly love Cast Iron because you can just put the sucker in the oven. I roast Chicken and broil steak in Cast Iron.
>>
>>7168877
>paying top dollar for a chunk of cheap metal that's old and has no historical value
Just get a cheap one and take good care of it.
>>
>>7168877
I recommend using the old stuff. Even if it's been used before. The thing is I've had a really old one I used for years and was used prior to buying it. It seems too have a bit of a better taste as time goes on. So i recommend getting old stuff I can't really explain what the taste is but idk it just tastes a bit better then it use too
>>
I spent $400 on a complete set of cast iron pans that have been around for many generations. They are 100% bonafide.
>>
>>7168905
>>paying top dollar for a chunk of cheap metal that's old and has no historical value
You mean paying top dollar for a pan that has absorbed the souls of the thousands of dishes which have been prepared in it, thus which possesses immeasurable value.
>>
>>7168877
i have a set of them, some that could be rounding 100 years that were just passed down through the family
>>
Go to auctions in small towns. Try auctionzip.com if you can't find a smalltown paper. I scored two great cast iron pans for thirty bucks. Estate sales have some great stuff.
>>
investment?

go to any fleamarket and buy rusty old pans for $2-$5 ea.

soak, scour, season and you're good to go. In no way should a "vintage" cast iron pan be considered an investment unless its a legit collectible and that's a whole other ballgame, you don't cook in those
>>
>>7168893
>sand cast
But that's the better cast iron pan.
>>
>>7168973
I like you.
>>
>>7168877
what do you mean "antique". and "investment"? a cast iron pan is like $20. and if you're looking for an "antique" you can get a cast iron pan for like $5 at a garage sale, swap meet or used goods/thrift store.
>>
>>7169313

Some people believe that older cast iron is made to a higher standard than the modern stuff and therefore are willing to pay a higher price for it. It doesn't help matters that there are also people who collect cast iron cookware and that also drives up the price.

Personally I've used both old and new cast iron. I've got a pan, two muffin pans, and a griddle I inherited from my grandparents--all Griswold. I also have two new (relatively speaking) Lodge skillets. I haven't noticed a difference with how any of them cook.
>>
I tried to make potatoes and onions in mine on Saturday. The onions all burned onto the bottom but I easily scraped them off later. I didn't even want to attempt eggs.

I coated it in oil and baked it at 440 for 2 hours. How many times do I have to do this to make it be non-stick?
>>
>>7168877

My girlfriend got a le creuset off ebay for me last year, a little 8 inch. She got a solid price and its top notch quality. The interior is smooth as a babys ass. We also have an enamaled 4 qt pot which is fantastic. I roast whole chickens in it, and then make stock in it right after dinner. Great pan but I wish it was a qt as I like making soups.
>>
>>7168877
>investment
only if you buy it new, or consider your time an investment, which you don't particularly care to spend acquiring and maintaing a proper cast iron
>>
>>7169494
Welcome in hell. You fell for the meme.

Should've gotten ceramic coated or stainless steel.
>>
>>7169494
>I coated it in oil and baked it at 440 for 2 hours. How many times do I have to do this to make it be non-stick?

Once should be all you need, assuming that you did it correctly. When you took the pan out of the oven what did it look like? A properly seasoned pan will be shiny black like OP's picture. Were there any sticky bits or "puddles" for lack of a better term on your pan? If so you may have used too much oil.
>>
>>7169523
Well it's a Lodge so it's not glass smooth like OP's is, it's got texture, but it had a nice shiny finish I guess. I'll know next time I try it. Even after 6 years of using my wok noodles still stick to it even if nothing else does.
>>
>>7169494

hey genius, you need to use cooking fat even in non stick pans or the food will stick to them.

the nonstick part is about making them easier to clean, not a magical resistance surface
>>
File: pecan_pie2+013b[1].jpg (419 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
pecan_pie2+013b[1].jpg
419 KB, 1600x1200
>>7168877
>not using it to bake bomb ass pecan pie
>>
>>7169323
like I said you can get an "antique" from fucking garage sales or salvation army thrift stores for nothing
>>
>>7169769

If you can still get the old stuff that cheap consider yourself lucky. Then set up a business buying it and reselling it to fools on Ebay or Etsy.
>>
>>7168877
Just buy a new one and sand it smoother
>>
>>7168877
I love the sets i got from my grand parents. They have seen it all and jesus they work like a charm.
But if your gonna get cast iron, go for the old rough kind. Fuck the Teflon coating ones
>>
>>7168895
Dude a london broil in a cast iron
>>
>>7168973
By that logic your local McDonald's has some of the best cookware in the world.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.