[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to die after eating a single meal? I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2
File: mega-bacon-sandwich.jpg (40 KB, 320x269) Image search: [Google]
mega-bacon-sandwich.jpg
40 KB, 320x269
Is it possible to die after eating a single meal?

I don't mean eating cyanide or knives, I mean something so greasy that it can give you a heart attack without necessarily being due one anyway.

Also eating insane amounts until your stomach pops doesn't count either.
>>
Andre the Giant died after eating a meal consisting of nothing but 30+ beers.
>>
something really salty could kill you i guess
>>
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2009/06/18/pigout-problem-can-1-big-meal-hurt-your-heart-and-your-stomach
>>
>>7168100
Would _____ poisoning count? I mean, he said no cyanide.
>>
A live zebra will kill you if you attempt to eat it.
>>
If you drink an insane amount of water, your kidneys could go into shock. You probably could die from that. I guess too much of anything could kill you.

What relatively normal food item would kill you with smallest amount?
>>
>>7168121
how much salt would it take? plus. how many pieces of bacon or other normal food would you have to put in a sandwich to ingest a lethal dose of salt?

I know i defined the terms fairly fuzzily but assuming you understand it would have to be regarded as "a meal". just a very unhealthy one

what about an entire block of foie gras

>>7168141
a live zebra counts as cyanide and knives

>>7168160
so does just guzzling water

>>7168100
and beer
>>
>>7168167
LD50 of salt is 3000 mg/kg according to google
>>
People have OD'd on both water and soy sauce.

When competitive eaters gorge themselves I feel like they'll just end up puking their guts out if it's too many blt's, and feel like utter shit for a couple of days.

Honestly never understood why people die from drinking too much water instead of just puking it up (yeah, not a bio anon).
>>
>>7168187
hmm

so 3000mg/kg means LD50 for me would be 255g of salt

according to google there is 343mg of salt in a cooked slice of bacon, so my sandwich would need to be 743 slices big to die from the salt alone

i don't think you could fit anywhere near that much in your stomach in one go
>>
>>7168200
the brain swells up with too much water since the salts and ions it needs are effectively diluted out, and the expansion will go all the way down the back of your neck and crush against your skull

this kills the anon
>>
>>7168210
How much water is too much water? I drink around 2 to 3 liters a day, maybe more maybe less. My piss color ranges from slight yellow in it to almost clear at times.
>>
>>7168224
its drinking it too quick that gets you, but lots over a long period is fine, you could easily drink double that as long as you don't drink it all in one go.

ie Leah Betts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leah_Betts
>Leah Sarah Betts (1 November 1977[1] – 16 November 1995) was a schoolgirl from Latchingdon in Essex, England, United Kingdom. She is notable for the extensive media coverage and moral panic that followed her death fifteen days after her 18th birthday. On 11 November, she took an Ecstasy tablet, and then drank approximately 7 litres of water in a 90-minute period. Four hours later, she collapsed into a coma, from which she did not recover.

imagine drinking 7 litres in an hour and a half
>>
>>7168087

I've wondered this, mostly about fat like you said. Like how much butter, coconut oil, or lard would it take to kill an otherwise healthy person?
>>
>>7168248
don't ask me, i'm asking you
>>
>>7168251

i've looked for answer before but never found one. I just found this study that looks like it might have the answer but there is no article here. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14227501

But just judging from the fact that there seems to be no reports of anyone ever essentially "overdosing" from a single meal its probably the case that there is no food you can physically eat enough of (except water) that will kill you.
>>
>>7168268

nvm i found the study and it doesn't include any info on the ld50
>>
>>7168268
maybe a giant doner kebab soaked in grease with a 2L bottle of mountain dew and a whole tub of ice cream?

then again i imagine there are people who have eaten that three times a day for many years
>>
When you consume enough oil typically it'll just pass through your body. Your body can only absorb so much.
>>
Water and salt are the only offenders I can think of. Possibly chili pepper juice in large amounts, as well as other juices like ginger root.
Dandelion greens are poisonous if they are picked at the wrong time but that's more a different area of foods.

Things that are exceedingly fatty/greasy take time or require a person who is near death already for it to have an immediate effect in one meal. You'd sooner shit your pants before you could even conceivably eat enough of it because your body becomes incredibly acidic eating that way.

Other than that I'm not sure there's much out there that we actually consider "food" to be lethal due to a property that said food contains.
>>
>>7168160

The real problem is the reduction in the electrolytes around the nerve cells. Too much water and you can end up with hyponatremia (too little sodium), hypokalemia (too little potassium), or hypocalcemia (too little calcium).

That's what happened to Terry Schiavo years ago. She drank too much tea and the reduction in the amount of electrolytes gave her a heart attack followed by a coma.
>>
Badly prepared Fugu.

Or maybe Polar Bear Liver.
>>
>>7168087
Idk mate I've seen a dude drink litres of pure oil and he didn't die so I am assuming not.

Fats really aren't that dangerous to the body in the short term.
>>
If you eat a meal of whiskey every day for 30 years...
>>
Fugu? Anything that messes your electrolytes senpai, or green potatoes. Also apparently tomatoes, because it's a nightshade, you can get poisoned by the leaves.
>>7168210
>>7168237
>>7168401
Wouldn't all you need to do then is take Potassium and salt supplementary, and essentially drink infinitely?
>>7168206
Or just eat a quarter of a kilogram of salt. If it tastes gross buy some gel capsules.
>>
>>7168444
i'm not trying to commit suicide bro
>>
Let's get to the bottom of this.

Can you OD on flavor??
>>
Interesting thread.

Sometimes I like to go to buffet places and eat everything. I mostly feel fine, if stuffed, but my I can sometimes feel my heart rate go up.

has there ever been anyone who died after pigging out?
>>
>>7168131
Too much of anything in your system will kill you. Too much water is over-osmosis.

If you're asking if there's a straight up heartstopper, then yes. Southern muricans make food that does that daily.
>>
>>7170352
Your stomach can hold around 4L of food before tearing but you're likely to throw up or pass out before then.
>>
>>7168607
Yes. It's why Flavor stops at Town.

Flavor City, State, Country, Continent, and Planet are all lethal amounts of Flavor.
>>
Your sushi chef could be autistic and fillet your puffer fish wrong, that would more than likely kill you
>>
>>7170605
You don't seem to know what autistic means.
>>
File: IMAG0320.jpg (804 KB, 2592x1472) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0320.jpg
804 KB, 2592x1472
>>7170578
>He's never been to Flavor Country
>>
>>7170672
>proving his point
>>
>>7168224
piss is meant to be clear.
>>
>>7170698
heh

there's common foodstuffs that humans and animals eat that have poison in them. Fried green tomatoes, yucca, green potatoes, apple seeds, nutmeg, some acorns, the list goes on
>>
Hypervitaminosis is the only feasible answer here. Pretty much impossible to od on macros as far as I know.
>>
>>7171002
Nice bait.
>>
>>7172337
I think you'd have to eat big amounts of nutmeg to die from it. I ate up to 20g at once (120/5'6") and ended up with a delerium, weaker one every time. Also it is very hard to swallow, almost impossible without having something to mask the flavor.
>>
>>7168224
That's fine. If you work outdoors, I wouldn't be surprised if you drank twice that.
>>
>>7173447
>Also it is very hard to swallow, almost impossible without having something to mask the flavor.
I've never tried nutmeg, heard it's horrible.

But when I was a teenager I ate ground morning glory seeds for the LSA. I just mixed them with enough honey to form a thick paste and made little pills out of them. Barely had to taste them.
>>
I dunno, but after eating a bag of those flaming hot cheetos I feel like i'm going to die
>>
>>7170672
this took me way too long to get
>>
>>7168087
Nutmeg has some serious side effects so if you consider 20g of that a meal then yes. Bananas? Can't think of anything else off the top of my head but ingesting a certain amount of anything will kill you.

>>7173452
I work construction and in the summer am still severely dehydrated with 2 gallons in 8 hours. Drinking any more just slows you down too much.
>>
>>7168087
Fat doesn't have anything to do with heart disease or heart attacks, you fucking idiot.
Love how nobody in this thread has mentioned SUGAR.
You're all a bunch of fucking sheep.
>>
>>7168087
If you eat nothing but tree bark for a week you'll probably die.
>>
>>7173603
fucking this

unless you're like 600 pounds, cholesterol has no effect on your heart whatsoever.

sugar can really kill people tho. you can go into a diabetic coma from having too high or too low blood sugar. i guess if you have too much sigar but not enough insulin to process it, your body is like AAAHHHH WHAT DO and goes to sleep
>>
>>7168087
This is kind of a dumb question.

Poorly prepared fugu can kill you, but we should rule that out cuz it's poison, right?

But anything you eat that kills you is by definition a poison. So whether it's 7 liters of water or too much cinchona or six pounds of clarified butter, yeah anything can kill you.

But no, within reason, there is no food that could ever possibly be "too greasy" unless it as something you specifically picked out just to kill you.
>>
How much water do you need to drink to die anyways? Because sometimes I drink a lot of water throughout the day and I feel fine even though I'm scared I'm going to die. Like one day I drank about 15 16oz bottles, but I was also very active, constantly sweating and peeing, and it was throughout the entire day, not in 1 sitting.
>>
>>7168237
holy fuck that's like 15 bottles of water.
>>
>>7173668
yeah some chick drank that much in an hour and a half and died
>>
Do you include potassium overdose in your "cyanide/poison"? Because you could just eat a large meal consisting of bananas, or eat a polar bear liver.
>>
>>7173638
So, basically, you presume not but don't really know.
>>
>>7173638
You can't die from eating fat you fucking retarded.
Jesus Christ, America is so fucking uneducated, I swear to God America will be the next country with DESIGNATED SHITTING STREETS.
Even if you somehow could eat 6 pounds of butter, you would just shit it out, it would be the buttpocalypse, the Mount Saint Helen's of fecal expulsion, the Krakatoa of Uranus.
>>
>>7173678
Yeah I saw >>7173676

It's weird how I just happened to drink the same exact amount (well 3-4 oz off) except throughout the day instead of in 90 minutes.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.