[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since Christmas is coming up I'm going to be buying my aunt,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: file.png (707 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
file.png
707 KB, 700x467
Since Christmas is coming up I'm going to be buying my aunt, who loves cooking, a few cookbooks.

So what are your favourite cookbooks?
>>
The 4chan /ck/ cookbook
>>
Depends on what style of cooking you're looking for OP
>>
>>7166477
She'll eat anything but seafood; she's often cooking for 6-8 people so big hearty meals would be a plus.
>>
>>7166484
I'd recommend anything Ramsay desu, that guy knows how to cook efficiently and I enjoy most of his recipes
>>
>>7166488
Thanks lad. I've been a disappointment to my family this year so I'm trying to end it on a high note. I'll check out some of his books in Waterstones tomorrow
>>
>>7166491
>I've been a disappointment

What happened senpai? You can tell your fellow cu/ck/s
>>
>>7166495
>going to uni to become a doctor
>drink myself stupid every night
>drop out because I hate my course and so I can drink more
>become NEET
>now work in a warehouse doing manual labour but I'm the happiest I've ever been

They just wanted to live vicariously through my success so they could brag to their friends but I still love them.
>>
>The Larousse
Not a cookbook as such, but still the premier cookery encyclopaedia. If you don't own a copy you are a fucking idiot.
>Ainsley's Meals in Minutes
First up, this cookbook is filled with pictures of Funny Well-Dressed Camp Blackman which is a great time. When I'm down I just open up this volume and seeing Ainsley laughing while cooking some shrimp never fails to cheer me up. The recipes themselves are very clear, very tasty and damn near impossible to ruin. A good cookbook for beginners to intermediaries.
>The Complete Nose to Tail
Fergus Henderson is a goddamn god. Go sweetly into that dark night, Henderson. This is not a simple cookbook. It's full of complex recipes and techniques that require both time and skill to correctly do. However, Henderson's lyrical style makes deboning pig trotters a less daunting prospect. Not for vegetarians or people who don't eat offal.
>Modernist Cuisine
Don't get this. It is the most amazing six hundred dollar, five volume cookbook tat exists but more often than not the recipes are impossible to replicate in a home kitchen.
>The Edmond's Cookbook
I grew up on this. This is the quintessential New Zealand cookbook, and is full of really good baking recipes. It's also full of dated as fuck nonsense.
>Ken Hom's Chinese Cooking
Ken Hom is a UK based, very early, celebrity chef. This is also the best introduction to real Chinese food that I've ever read. Kens simple instructions and big, gorgeous photos make for a 9/11 cook book.
>French Provincial Cookbook
This has somewhat dated, as it was first printed some 55 years ago. It's a good time, though. Elizabeth David's recipes are very good, and this really makes French cooking accessible and easy.
>>
The flavor bible is the only one I own

it's pretty great

no recipes in it though, it's a collection of "what flavors go with what flavors" based on interviews of chefs from the US and Canada

great for inspiration
>>
>>7166504
>aspiring to become a doctor
>ends up working in a warehouse

Shit senpai that sounds rough but glad it worked out for you
I wouldn't do manual labor though if I was smart enough to become a fucking doctor
>>
>>7166461
Any Ina Garten or Mark Bittman cookbooks...older ladies love em.

Some new ones that came out recently that are also good:
>The New Midwestern Table
Dressed up Scandinavian/German-inflected recipes from the American Midwest. Crowd-pleasing.
>Twenty Dinners
Just a nice-looking book. Arranged menu-style, which will appeal if she's cooking for a bunch of people.
>The Yellow Table by Anna Watson Carl
Also a book geared towards those who are serving a bunch of people. Easy-to-cook, <30 mins prep, also wine pairings if she's into that.
>Ruth Reichl's My Kitchen Year
Older relatives love Ruth Reichl. She's a great writer. This is her latest.
>>
File: 54876574.jpg (4 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
54876574.jpg
4 MB, 2448x3264
>>7166461
>Coolio's Boneless Bird
>BB King's German Chocolate Cake
>Meatloaf's Cheese Grits Loaf
>Mick Jagger's Shrimp Curry
>>
Joy of Cooking
>>
Anything with Jamie Oliver on the cover. They're genius. Aunts love them, too.
>>
Charlie Trotter's Meat and Game
French Laundry Cookbook
The Slanted Door: Modern Vietnamese

Not cookbooks but still really good references:
On Food and Cooking
Le Repetoire de la Cuisine
Larousse
Flavor Bible
>>
>>7166461
I'd buy for my Aunt who can't cook and admits it some folk who could cook for her for a night. Strange though since she wouldn't need it, she could afford it herself. I honestly wouldn't know what to get her, even if money was no object. I'd like to be able to get her something, but whatever it would be, it wouldn't be about money.
>>
It would be fun to buy Manchester United for her.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.