[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's pickle some shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7
File: pickled-vegetables.jpg (305 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
pickled-vegetables.jpg
305 KB, 600x399
Just discovered the world of pickling at home. Man, I've really been missing out. Yesterday I did my first pickling of carrots and red onion pearls and tried them today, I instantly wanted to start drinking and snacking on these all night long. I'm always going to keep pickled onions in my fridge now, but it also got me wondering what else is amazing when it gets pickled.

What are the best things to pickle?

My brine was simple:
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp whole peppercorns

If there's a better brine recipe, I'd also like to know what it might be.
>>
>>7164937
hot pickled hard boiled eggs are damn good.

I hate peppers and pickles but for whatever reason I can enjoy those
>>
i'm super interested in this. i love pickled carrots and dont see them too often on store shelves.
>>
was thinking of pickling some spicy peppers soon. whats a good way to do it?
>>
>>7164937
>1 cup apple cider vinegar

no water? thats a really strong brine
>>
>>7165032

Love the acidity of vinegar, didn't want to lose any of the punch.
>>
File: satanstesticles.jpg (107 KB, 520x347) Image search: [Google]
satanstesticles.jpg
107 KB, 520x347
>>7164999
Beet pickled eggs are godtier.

Basically: peeled hard boiled eggs, sliced onions, can of beets, beet juice, apple cider vinegar, sugar. Good shit.
>>
If you like pickling, try fermenting! It's easier, and healthier as it promotes the growth of bacteria that are necessary for a good healthy gut microbiota.
>>
File: pickles-11.jpg (166 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
pickles-11.jpg
166 KB, 1000x750
Welcome down the rabbit hole. Once you get started it tends to take over your pantry.

I made some nice bread and butter pickles last summer. I only have one jar left, I'll have to make more this year.
>>
>>7165782
This. Learn to make sauerkraut, kimchi and fermented pickles.
>>
>>7164937
Mexicans make a "quick pickle" of onions, jalapenos and carrots that is served at meals. Makes a great marinade for a pork roast too.
>>
>>7166053
those are gorgeous.
Whats your recipe?
>>
>>7165776
>Beet pickled eggs
This.
Had these all the time growing up in Pennsyltuckey. Now I live on the Left Coast and nobody here is familiar with it.
Hopefully none of these creepy homosexuals culturally appropriate muh Flyover foods like they did with PBR.
>>
>>7166904
Best coaster, pickled beets are dope my Canadian boss showed me.
>>
File: breadandbutter-pickles.jpg (722 KB, 1000x4154) Image search: [Google]
breadandbutter-pickles.jpg
722 KB, 1000x4154
>>7166420
Posted it last summer in the canning threads... here you go.
>>
>vinegar pickles
>not lacto fermented

dropped
>>
>>7167019
That recipe looks fantastic. How long do you pickle them for?
>>
>>7167054
Let them age a couple of weeks to mellow. But they are basically ready by the end of the heat processing.

Because they are heat processed they will keep for a year, easily.
>>
>>7167066
Thanks dude
>>
>>7167034
do you have a better recipe to share then?

cause i love pickles in all forms
>>
>>7167220
You're welcome. I have one for beets too if you want?
>>
>>7164937
>If there's a better brine recipe, I'd also like to know what it might be.
I like a white wine vinegar when I'm making pickled onions or mushrooms. I toss in a clove of garlic too, and far more herbs. Tarragon really compliments mushrooms, and thyme is lovely with onions, as is a good clump of parsley. These are quick pickles, not canning for long term, mind you.

>>7165079
>Love the acidity of vinegar, didn't want to lose any of the punch.
You won't, add water.

I like a pickled red onion, sliced thin, red wine vinegar and a little salt and sugar.

I make a harissa, of dried red chilies from the garden, garlic and olive oil. I make a chowchow which is corn-based, a sweet pepper relish that is very similar to Howards picalilli, and homemade chili sauce which I use for my meatloaf and shrimp cocktail nights.

I consider boiled (green) peanuts canning, but I also consume them too fast to really save some. It gets harder and harder each year to get green peanuts.
>>
I did my first pickled shit, thanks to this thread.
There was no apple cider vinegar so I used rice vinegar instead. I also put some garlic, coriander and olive oil.
Btw, I pickled carrots!
>>
>>7167243
Yes please
>>
>>7167341

How'd it come out bro?
>>
>>7167402
I think I could have placed the garlic in between the chopped carrots. The garlic is on the bottom of the recipient. It doesn't smell great, but thats because of the vinegar. I never did it before so I don't think I can make a fair judgement. I'm going to taste it next week - if I see another of this thread around by then I'll post a picture
>>
File: beets.jpg (405 KB, 1000x2686) Image search: [Google]
beets.jpg
405 KB, 1000x2686
>>7167368
Here you go.
>>
>>7164937
Add some daikon radish to those carrots, julienne both and you have do chua, the stuff they put on banh mi's
>>
>>7167448

I bought a knife just like that from a little SE Asian grocery store for something like $3.

It was labeled as a mango peeler, and I've been finding new uses for it for 5 years now.
>>
At the end of September I tried fermenting some habaneros and thai chilies from my garden with garlic in a salt brine. I used wide mouth mason jars with airlock lids.

Not sure what went wrong, but I only got a little bubbling from one jar, and it looks like there may be some mold suspended in the brine. I found out using iodized salt was a mistake that I had made.

Do you guys think they are safe to try?
Any tips for fermenting hot peppers next time?
>>
>>7167506
I would discard them (along with the jars). No use in taking risks.
>>
>>7167506

Yeah chuck them bro. I never use iodized salt for anything other than putting in water to bring it to a boil. Sea salt will always be the preferred seasoning if you want to salt any of your foods.
>>
File: 20151213_191252.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20151213_191252.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
thanks again anon
>>
>>7167934
Looking good.
>>
>>7167523
Why the jars? Easier than putting the shit in other containers?
>>
>>7168267
So you don't contaminate other surfaces by attempting to empty them.
>>
>>7167523
>>7168954
Oh fuck off you idiot.
Any mold you get while lactofermenting vegetables is most likely completely benign.
You could fucking eat it, but I wouldn't advise doing it.
I've just scraped what mold there was and I've been perfectly fine eating the rest. Of course that was mold just on the surface so it was easy to scrape off.
Remember you need to pack down your vegetables, preferably with a food safe weight. Glass works wonders. Don't use iodized salt, and keep in a relatively cool dark environment, a couple degrees below room temp preferably but it's not a requirement.
Seriously it's hard to fuck up lactofermented vegetables, and don't be scared of a bit of mold on the surface. But yeah if it's throughout the jar you might want to discard, just wash and rinse the jars don't fucking throw them out like that retarded anon said. ALSO if you need to add more brine, DO NOT USE tap water! Use only filtered chlorine free water!
>>
>>7168964
Also cloudy brine is perfectly normal.
The biggest thing is keeping everything below the brine, make sure you weigh down your vegetables.
>>
There are only a few important things in fermenting raw vegetables:
>cleanliness
>1.8% sea salt
>strict anaerobic conditions
>3 week fermentation
>>
>implying I want botulism

Sorry, fags, I'll just stick to store bought so I don't die.
>>
>>7169124
You seem less cultured than the content of my jars. Allow me a little education about botulism:
>Clostridium botulinium is anaerobic (grows without O2)
>If you cook the toxin produced by Clostridium Botulinium, it is no longer the most lethal biological weapon
>C. Botulinium doesn't grow in acidic media, at pH < 4.6
>C. Botulinium doesn't grow in salty media (see water activity, Aw, and microorganisms)
>C. Botulinium's spores requier something like 10 min at 120°C to be destroyed

Then, let's see what happens when raw vegetables are fermented according to >>7169120
>Vegetable host various microorganisms, including lactic bacteriae
>Lactic bacteriae 'eat' sugar from the vegetable and 'poop' CO2 and lactic acid
>Lactic acid is acidic, hence it acidifies the medium
>Lactic bacteriae stop when the pH is too low for them (needless to say it is already too low for C. Botulinium)

Botulism is of concern solely in case of non-acidified (no vinegar, no lactic fermentation) and improperly canned (i.e. <10min & <120°C, i.e. not autoclaved) food.
>>
>>7169296
I'm not >>7169124 but could you put some source for further read?
>>
>>7169296

>You seem less cultured than the content of my jars

Made me lol
>>
>>7167034
I end up with so much produce from my garden in late summer/early fall that I do canned pickles to deal with the influx. I do lacto fermentations year round (kraut, veg, and kefir) but I literally have several gallons of pickled jalapenos going right now. Most things I hear and read say that lacto pickles are not stable on a months-timescale, if you have a way to do it I would sincerily love to hear it.
>>
>>7167424
Did you do a heat canning or just seal up a jar and go? If the latter watch for spoilage
>>
>>7169350
http://www.goed-geboerd.nl/resources/ArtFermentation.pdf

>>7169296
Just so you know bacteria is the plural of bacterium
>>
>>7169926
I put on a jar (glass container). I washed the jar with hot water (near boiling temperature), added vinegar + salt + garlic + coriander, filled with carrot and completed with hot water. How long do you think it takes before getting spoiled? How do I know its spoiled? I thought it could last very long, considering vinegar provides an acid environment.
>>
>>7170219
Well first things first it may never spoil. Your nose, and all human noses are actually very good at detecting spoilage. If it smells off, it probably is, What you want to do with canning pickles is seal the jar, and then submerge it into a water bath to bring up the temp to keep it more sterile. If you want to do bacteriological ferment glass jars with no airlocks are probably a bad idea, and this advice is less applicable. The rest of your approach though is a very standard canned pickle procedure, just without the final cook.

p.s. if you are very new canning refers to the cooking after sealing and not the container, most home canning uses glass jars. This confused me to no end when I started.
>>
>>7170248
Thanks for the info! I steamed the carrots beforehand
>>
>>7170323
safteywise this is a-ok. The difference will be in the crispness of the finished product.
>>
>>7170329
Nice. I'm expecting to do more in the future and learn what spices works best.
>>
Anyone know a good recipe for pickling pearl onions?
>>
My top 10 pickled foods.

1. Sausages
2. Eggs
3. Fish
4. Onions
5. Beets
6. Olives
7. Carrots
8. Cauliflower
9. Mangoes
10. Cucumbers (standard pickles)
>>
Pickled Okra is the fucking bomb
>>
>>7171028

Pickled sausage? That sounds terrifyingly amazing.
>>
>>7166904
eat a cunt. The gays are better at cooking everything you like than your entire family.
>>
Pickled beets

Picked shallots
>>
Pickling green beans is really good. Add a little bit of red chili flakes and it adds a nice heat to them.
>>
Pickled mustard greens
>>
>>7171315

Every gay I've met doesn't cook. They go out to their swanky eateries and night clubs, or get fusion take out or some shit.
>>
>>7171472
Something tells me that the five gay people you know aren't a very good sample of the homo population. On average, gay men tend to know more about culinary arts than straight men (by a small margin,) and all women (at a huge margin.)
>>
>>7171498

>5

Lol I live in california, half our male population is either queer or one of the 75 make believe genders people want to use now days.
>>
>>7171498
Show me the source of this data, please.
>>
>>7171508
>I live in california

I misread your post and didn't realize you had moved out of flyover land. Looks like we've discovered the reason for your acquaintances not cooking their own food. Any gathering I have with other queer people in the midwest results in so much homemade food and good alcohol that I'm likely to explode.
>>
>>7171510
You can check out the data yourself by looking at Reality: The World We Live In
>>
>>7169936
My apologies, my mother tongue doesn't force us to use latin terms on that subject.
>>
>>7169350
Sandor Katz, the art of fermentation. I wish it were a little more straightforward and less talkative, but not everyone is a PhD in food microbial ecology and willing to share all those things.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.