[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to take up brewing coffee. What appliances would I need?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 7129MtC9wjL._SY355_.jpg (11 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
7129MtC9wjL._SY355_.jpg
11 KB, 355x355
I want to take up brewing coffee. What appliances would I need?
Starting off, which grinder would you recommend?
>>
A burr grinder, pick one within your budget with decent reviews. As for brewing, asking 10 different people on this board will probably get you 10 different answers.

Personally, I use an aeropress most of the time but I also have a french press for when I want to make more than one cup at a time.
>>
>>7164755
i have that exact grinder, op
it can be adjusted to make fine or coarse grinds

i recommend using french press for brewing
>>
That's a good grinder
Get a V60 or a Chemex
Forget french press unless you are doing some retro ironic Seinfeld/Friends era period reenactment of dumb things "coffee people" did in the 90s
>>
Burr grinder
French press

That's all you need
>>
>>7164755
FYI: that pic is a knockoff. Get a real Hario. You can mod it with the OE mod or a 3D printed one to be slightly more consistent with a coarser grind. Personally, I grind about a medium with it for a french press and just shorten the brew time.

1. Device. French press, memepress, Clever, or pourover, but you'll need a gooseneck kettle for that
2. Burr grinder. Hand is fine if you don't want to spend $130 for an Encore and you're okay with doing 1-3 minutes worth of work and only doing < a couple mugs at once
3. Freshly roasted beans or at least something from the grocery store that has a roast date on it (Peet's)
4. Kettle
5. Scale
>>
>>7164780
>2016
>using paper filters
>>
>>7164795
This guy has it right. A meme press is so cheap that I'd advise getting a Hario V60 and a cheap $7 French press just to see which one you prefer in addition to the other stuff.
>>
File: AmericanWeigh2kg.jpg (75 KB, 1479x1245) Image search: [Google]
AmericanWeigh2kg.jpg
75 KB, 1479x1245
>>7164795
Also, I've gotten shit in the past for insisting on a scale, but hear me out. Learning to brew manually is a process. You'll go through at least a bag of beans with each method just trying to get the cup that you want. Making your perfect cup is not hard, replicating it is. Having a scale (and taking notes) can guarantee that.

>>7164879
If you go this way, OP, get one with at least a 4" platform and can hold 2kg to manage the size and weight of a FP. Plus, it'll handle everything in the kitchen
>>
Get a $10 electric grinder and a drip machine. Grind up enough for a week or so and store it in an airtight container. Don't listen to these hipsters with their French press bullshit. As long as you use good coffee beans and grind them yourself it will be dang good. Good coffee is usually expensive, but I get beans from a local roaster in bulk that end up costing about the same as the dirt folgers sells.
>>
>>7164894
>Get a $10 electric grinder and a drip machine
Please leave
>>
File: 1249443324949.jpg (49 KB, 614x461) Image search: [Google]
1249443324949.jpg
49 KB, 614x461
>>7164894
inb4 bate takers
>>
>>7164901
I'm serious. I'm sure French press is a bit better but I doubt it's worth the extra hassle. The coffee I make with a drip machine tastes great. I do want to get a French press for cold brewing though.
>>
>>7164901
Whoa that picture is some serious nostalgia
>>
Any cheap manual burr grinder (kyocera or hario) can be a great starter grinder and sure as fuck beat any electric blade grinders.
>>
>>7164894
ok, this is bait, but I can actually get a passable grind with an electric blade grinder. It's about pulsing and checking. Finesse. Not perfect, but it'll do.

In the off chance this is not bait... seriously, dude... only grind what you're about to use. The smell coming from the ground beans is the flavor that you won't be tasting a week later when it wafts away and it's replaced with skankiness from oxidation of the increased surface area. Air tight doesn't matter as much if you open the container every day. You oughta try a pour-over. It's the simplest, manliest way to brew coffee. I think it's funny it has a name now. Just use a kitchen funnel and a filter, paper towel, cloth, a sock, whatever. Boil water, grind beans, pour water over.
>>
What's the best way to store bulk beans?
>>
>>7165906
Cool, dark, dry, airtight. Figure out a way to meet those conditions.
>>
>>7164755
i have the grinder in op its works great. takes a minute or two to grind coffee everyday. then just use a cheap melita filter or simmiler. most important part, find local coffee roaster buy only fresh beans directly from them if possibe.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.