[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw when people call you poor behind your back because you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: Kroger-brand-family_web500.jpg (120 KB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
Kroger-brand-family_web500.jpg
120 KB, 500x270
>tfw when people call you poor behind your back because you buy store brand

What's your beef with store brand? It usually tastes the same--but cheaper. The only store brand thing I never buy is that battery acid orange juice.
>>
>>7163809
>2015
>buying store brand

W O W
>>
File: 1422121628662.gif (4 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1422121628662.gif
4 MB, 360x270
Fucking love Kroger brand shit.
>>
>implying store brand is always cheaper
Some Tesco Finest stuff really is the best choice of a given item
>>
>>7163824
There is literally nothing wrong with buying store brand food.
>>
Most store brand stuff comes from the same places name brand does. You're getting the same thing but paying less.
>>
store brand mac & cheese > kraft
>>
>>7163809
Most of the time store brand single-ingredient staples are higher quality and cheaper. Sometimes this is also true of more processed items. Many of these food items are made in the same facilities, but are retailed more cheaply because less money is spent on advertisement. This allows the store to spend more on higher quality ingredients that yield a superior product. Big food companies hate this, and occasionally attempt to file lawsuits against the stores when their product is so much better and more successful. If everyone bought superior store brand items, the stores would eventually become walmarts and quality would go back down. So, shh.
>>
>>7163809
>What's your beef with store brand? It usually tastes the same--but cheaper.
Sometimes it's even better. Publix piecrust I use for my pecan or derby pies, and it is way flakier and tastier than Pillsbury, and unrolls faster. I think Publix cola is superior to Coke. I'd trust any drug, but you see it's a company with a conscience. And, when you compare ingredient labels on say a mac n cheese, or an jus gravy mix, it's definitely superior. Best ice cream in the store, on par with haagen daz or talenti sorbet. Steam in bag vegetables > birds eye, plus 10for $10 is the cheapest way to get Edamame in the shells.

>The only store brand thing I never buy is that battery acid orange juice.
Agreed. And, this (and canned tomatoes) is about the processing going on. Keeping the pith and the acid down and freshness, is key. Seems like highest pulp versions of brands is the least acidic for some reason.
>>
>>7166065
Fuck off senpai desu
>>
>>7163809
I've found that the grocery store brand milk is almost always fresher and better tasting than the big brand milk
>>
>>7166065
All mac and cheese that involves a cheese sauce in any form is shit
>>
Usually, it's there's no problem. Store brand cereal is shit.
>>
File: 1449008779741.gif (510 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
1449008779741.gif
510 KB, 500x312
>>7163809

What are you talking about? I love store brand.
Kroger store brand is pretty good in all areas(except chips for some reason, almost crack my teeth on ho hard they are). Wal-mart store brand is god awful. I personally don't like Aldi's because I always get sick from shit there, and Target is too expensive for actual groceries imo

>tfw get 10% off Kroger brand because of working there, among other things
>>
>>7163809
I pretty much exclusively get store brand. Cheap, it's pretty much just relabeled brand stuff and they have some great exclusive products
>>
>>7166140
How the fuck else do you expect to make mac and cheese if not with a cheese sauce? That's pretty much what mac and cheese is: pasta mixed with a cheese sauce.
>>
>>7163831
I despise Kroger generally, but their offbrand stuff(Simple Truth and Private Selection) are often as good if not better than other brands. Especially the meat.
>>
>>7166070
>Many of these food items are made in the same facilities
This. Often there is literally no difference between 'name brand' and 'store brand' other than what is printed on the box. As an example the factory that makes your $8 Digiorno pizza may very well make your $1 Kroger, HEB, Walmart branded pizza.
>>
No matter how much money you have, saving dosh by buying generics makes sense. Store brand shit is normally as good or better than name brand products for less money.
>>
>>7166347
>it's pretty much just relabeled brand stuff
When will this meme end?
>>
>>7166388
I think he's talking about powdered cheese sauce mix
>>
>>7168906
I think he doesn't actually know what he's talking about, and just wants to sound cultured.
>>
>>7163809
literally no one gives a shit about whatever trash food you're buying.
>>
>>7163809
Germanfag here. Store brand over here is always a gamble. Most of the time, you get a good bang for your buck and the stuff actually tastes alright. Sometimes there isn't even a name brand variety available, or it is several times more expensive than the cheap stuff.
One of the biggest supermarket chains in the country, Edeka, even has two store brands - Gut&Günstig and Edeka. They're trying to sell "higher quality" stuff under their own name. For example, the Gut&Günstig orange juice is made from concentrated orange juice, while the Edeka orange juice is NFC. They taste virtually the same, but one is half the price.
>>
File: 1449628448279 1.jpg (166 KB, 1080x810) Image search: [Google]
1449628448279 1.jpg
166 KB, 1080x810
>>
File: wine.jpg (290 KB, 1280x1714) Image search: [Google]
wine.jpg
290 KB, 1280x1714
>>
>buying anything that comes on a box or chemical lined aluminum can
Fucking serfs.
This is a COOKING board, not a fucking retarded consumer brand whore microwave shit serf board.
>>
>>7168951
Wrong
>>
>>7163809
Why are you hanging out with people who care what brand of products you buy?
>>
>>7168951
Where do you buy your ingredients from, dude? Do you milk your own cows? Churn your own butter? Pick oranges from your orange tree grove? Steel-cut your own oatmeal? Flood your own rice paddy in the backyard? Mill your own flour? Can you honestly say store brand basic ingredients aren't a better price at equal or greater quality?
>>
>>7168951
this is also a food board. :^)
>>
>>7163809
>2015
>buying premade food
I hope 2016 is better.
>>
>>7163809

>caring what others think
>needing other people's opinions and support to validate their existence

Hmm...
>>
>>7163809
I fucking love battery acid orange juice. I thrive on that shit.
>>
If you literally truthfully really do actually know people who think that
>HE BUYS STORE-BRAND FISH STICKS AND FROZEN VEGETABLES
is legitimately a worthwhile entertaining piece of gossip then you need to acquire new friends or a new job or move or whatever it takes to be surrounded by different people, because they may be dangerously stupid
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.