[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is cheese so expensive?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 13
File: Cheese-Deli14.jpg (424 KB, 2508x1672) Image search: [Google]
Cheese-Deli14.jpg
424 KB, 2508x1672
Why is cheese so expensive?
>>
>>7162907
Because it takes a lot of steps and takes a long ass time to produce. Its not like other produces where you just need the ingredients and bam, you got what you want. Cheese has to age
>>
Fat has over twice the calories than other macros. Calories are literally energy. Energy in -> energy out. It takes more energy to produce cheeses.
>>
>>7162907
It's not. You're paying for convenience. Homemade cheese is far superior to the industrial soulless cheese you grab at the local grocers in haste.
>>7162913
Wrong. Cheese is easy to make at home, all it takes is effort and time. Two things Americans no longer appreciate.
>>7162953
Kill yourself.
>>
>>7162976
there are plenty of nice cheeses to be had at the supermarket anon, calm down. i don't feel like making my own aged gorgonzola.
>>
>>7162907
Cheese isn't expensive unless you're a poorfag
>>
>>7162907
The production process of quality cheeses is relatively intensive and time consuming.

Also, once you realize that it's not meant to be a meal, that it's meant to be savored, then the price seems reasonable.
>>
>>7162980

you may not be american but in anything other than self consciously posh or nice grocery stores the cheese selection is completely shit.
>>
Cheese is something I typically steal from supermarkets. Its very simple to do.
>>
>>7164350
I hope you get raped. Thieves are fucking scum
>>
>>7164350
I want to be a nice guy anon but this guy>>7164355
has a point.
>>
>>7162976

>trying this hard
>>
File: desu sempai.jpg (207 KB, 1008x567) Image search: [Google]
desu sempai.jpg
207 KB, 1008x567
>>7164345

WRONG
>>
>>7164355
Yeah I used to think like that too. But then I just tried it and its fine. The rest of my life is exactly as it was before, I just pay less for my groceries.
>>
>>7164410
I hope you get caught and go to jail. That way you can pay a "little less"
>>
>>7164433
>Going to jail for stealing a piece of cheese

This wont happen. Using my method, even if you get caught, it just looks like you did it accidently and you just have to pay for it and there is no problem.
>>
>>7164444
>working this hard to steal $3..

I sincerely hope your trolling. nice quads.
>>
>>7164473
>Working this hard
I literally put it in the bagging area without scanning it. Just weigh it through as onions. Its literally no extra work.
>>
Just purchased some cheddar, havarti and gouda tonight. 3 small fucking bricks came out to $25.

Ridiculous.
>>
>>7164500
Worth it. Better than that fake GMO ridden Kraft cheese
>>
>>7164500
See my technique for free cheese here
>>7164491
>>
>>7164491

Well, at least you have a future in loss prevention. Petty thieves is usually who ends up in those jobs, and then suddenly become honorable, stand-up, trustworthy employees until they get to the part of the store they already set up as being off camera..

>tl;dr management knows your type already. you aren't getting over on anyone.. that's why they score billions while you score $3.
>>
Will cheese ever become as big as wine internationally, or do the asians really all have lactose problems?
>>
>>7164569
wtf?
>>
>>7164569
Asians have bad lactose problems. They will never know the joy of chocolate milk or cheese and crackers

Those poor souls.
>>
You're better off not eating cheese. It is basically rotten fat. It's garbage. It's the kind of stuff you'd find at the bottom of a musty trash can.
>>
>>7164558
>Future in loss prevention

I work in market risk for an investment bank. I spend most of my days preventing loss already.

Stolen product is almost certainly priced in to supermarket prices. I probably steal enough in a risk free way to pay a months rent ever year. Its not a huge amount, but worth doing.
>>
>>7164580
you do know where eggs form right?

I mean, the soft inside has got to develop before the hard calcium shell is formed..
>>
>>7164580
>t.uncultured swine
>>
>>7164585
>I spend most of my days preventing loss already
I WOULD HAVE NEVER GUESSED

I wont tell you who I am, but you aren't scamming anyone...
>>
>>7164595
Im not trying to scam anyone. Im trying to get things without paying for them, with complete minimal risk of getting caught and any negative consequences if I do get caught. So far its working fine - i've been doing it for 3 years.
>>
>>7164615
>I don't want to pay for the products I take.
you cant trigger me fella. I don't care.
>>
>>7162907
each piece of cheese in that pic needed gallons of milk to produce. yeah I know, milk is piss cheap right now, but still, that's already one thing, then the many different steps to create it, then finally some of that cheese has to ripen for a long long long time and storing shit is expensive.

also some cheese is only allowed to be produced in certain areas of the world so it needs to be transported over and that can be expensive as fuck as well.
>>
File: kids and thier opinion.jpg (69 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
kids and thier opinion.jpg
69 KB, 500x750
>>7164628
Ssssshhh. grown-ups are talking.
>>
File: 1424710762455.jpg (85 KB, 442x650) Image search: [Google]
1424710762455.jpg
85 KB, 442x650
>dairy farmers in my country lobbied the government to put a quota and a 300% tariff on imported cheese
>>
Cheese is a luxury good/commodity and it is hard to produce plus it is considered a artisan/craft product too. All of these equate to a higher price not to mention that if the cheese is from Europe it probably has a DOP or a AOP or something which makes it more exclusive and expensive, and if it is domestic (as far as the US is concerned) and not mass produced shit that increases the price even more than if it was imported.

Regardless, it is extremely good and worth the money if you are an upper middle class white person or even richer than that.
>>
>>7164656
is there a 300% tariff on cattle feed? How would the dairy farmers like that?
>>
File: 1355603662022.jpg (133 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
1355603662022.jpg
133 KB, 500x371
>>7164826
>non-processed cheese is considered a luxury good in America
>>
>>7164401
>tasty
>extra tasty

tough choice
>>
>>7164569
Africans are also pretty commonly lactose intolerant. The ability to digest milk after childhood is actually a pretty recent development
>>
>>7164350
You sound like a Sanders voter.
>>
>>7165270
Fuck yeah, I love KFC
>>
>>7164510
>le GMO boogeyman will irradiate my penis and give my kids five arms

>>7164528
Kill yourself.
>>
>>7162907
dammit OP, that pic made me really sad I don't have a shitload of fancy cheese.
>>
Real cheese is illegal in america, this is an american board and it's against the rules to discuss illegal practices. please be respectful of the rules.
>>
>>7164510
>>7165373

>GMO
>kraft cheese

So has GMO just become a catch-all term for things we don't like?
Read a fucking book.
>>
File: woaw.jpg (287 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
woaw.jpg
287 KB, 1280x960
http://www.medicaldaily.com/fda-bans-roquefort-other-french-cheeses-due-bacteria-levels-though-theyre-virtually-301638
http://www.wisegeek.org/is-raw-milk-cheese-really-illegal-in-the-united-states.htm

Has freedom gone too far?
Pic related, American approved cheese for pizza.
>>
>>7165458
>all bacteria is bad
I'll never understand this meme.
Americans really are fucking retarded. It's like they have 40yo lonely liberal housewives, who have nothing better to do with their time besides coddling their already sheltered children, running the country.
>>
>>7164569
>>7164574
Cheese is becoming big in Asia. I worked at a wine and cheese shop in Hong Kong a few years back as a translator/clerk. Surprising number of locals showed interest. It was funny too when they would assume that our pesto cheese was green tea flavored until I told them otherwise.

Also actual aged cheese doesn't give lactose problems.
>>
>>7164355
You know what, I could understand your crude sentiments if we were talking about stealing cheese from a farmers market or a local grocery store, but you need to get some perspective real fast if you actually have a problem with people stealing some food here and there from a place like Wal-Mart or some other national chain. Stop sucking that corporate dick for a little while.
>>
>>7165566
>>7165629

Go back to /b/, children
>>
>>7165576
>being a responsible person is sucking corporate dick
Does paying taxes also mean you wholeheartedly support the big bad gubment?
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 640x891) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 640x891
I should microwave my camembert crackers more often.
>>
>>7165793
Out of all the shitty food photography on this board this rates pretty high on the complete shit list.
>>
>>7165270
I dont live in America. If I did, I wouldnt steal cheese. American cheese isnt even worth stealing.

>>7165373
Why so angry friend?
>>
>>7164936
It is, by definition, in any part of the world, especially in Europe. It is like wine, it has A.O.P and D.O.P and all of that to ensure the high quality and prestige of the products. Please stop shitposting like a moron.
>>
File: WIDF.jpg (42 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
WIDF.jpg
42 KB, 500x334
>>7165924
inb4 wisconsin internet defense force
>muh plastic wisconsin "normal cheese" is just as good as your fribourg gruyère premier cru A.O.C.
>it is muh freedom to be force-fed recycled emulsified coca cola bottles blended with Real Milk and the finest HFCS, anyone who disagrees wants to destroy America
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 400x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 400x420
>>7165937
WIDF reporting n.
>>
>>7165924
>especially in Europe

High quality cheese where I live is a basic staple along with bread. A nice chunk of mature cheddar and a chunk of still warm fresh bread - delicious.
>>
>>7165924
all milk in the US is pasteurized

your argument is invalid
>>
File: 920x920.jpg (50 KB, 920x614) Image search: [Google]
920x920.jpg
50 KB, 920x614
>>7165966
Coastal America makes raw milk cheese. Look for stuff from Vermont, New York, California, New Hampshire, or the Pacific Northwest.
>>
>>7165970
Wisconsin makes raw milk cheese to you moron
>>
File: reaction.jpg (18 KB, 350x299) Image search: [Google]
reaction.jpg
18 KB, 350x299
>>7165988
>he thinks "raw milk cheese" means it's not deep fried
Reminder that the wisconsin "cheese" conglomorates consider flavors other than "bland' to be a manufacturing defect
>>
>>7165966
I buy raw milk and cheese made from it at my farmers market all the time. It just comes with a warning label.

In Florida the law is actually that it's "legal as pet food" There are only a handful of states where it's still completely illegal.
>>
>>7165999
>It just comes with a warning label.

Annnnnnnddd that's just one lawsuit away from being banned altogether.

Mr. I-just-got-my-law-degree will find some sick kid to showcase a libel suit..
>>
>>7166013
america doesn't have the history of artisanal craftsmanship that europe has. culturally, food comes from what amounts to a black box of mystery - "the store", and in turn "the factory". coupled with the rabid distrust of accountability laws (see: ag-gag laws), the burden of responsibility for food safety has always been shifted onto the consumer. but the consumer is powerless without proper labeling, which is considered anti-competitive and "protectionist". therefore, the only thing left is labels on everything, warning that "we're not responsible". because of course, we are not. freedom and responsibility are enemies.
>>
>>7164401
>beqa
>not coon extra tasty
Fucks sake man
>>
>>7166024

That's the "Strong & Beefy" on the right
>>
>>7166020
>artisanal craftsmanship
Yea, we did.. but it got sued into extinction. Some years ago there was a producer that sold un-pasteurized apple juice/cider. You know, for best flavor, and some lawyer needing to cover his $$,$$$ house payment got involved.

Insurance rates skyrocket, and that's the end of that. mommy of the sick kid gets enough cash to buy a new Camry, the Lawyer gets his house payment covered for the month, and the people that enjoy great tasting juice/cider are screwed. The good ole USA at work.
>>
>>7166013
>libel

Beat yourself about the head, face, chest and neck
>>
>>7164401
Does that say fucking "STRONG & BITEY"?
>>
Do anyone know any good cheese makers in the NorthEast US ?
>>
>>7166062
You know how you avoid lawsuits? By having good hygiene standards. But in 'murrica the masses have been hypnotized into defending unethical businesses until they're in a medically induced coma. Just look what happened with the Blue Bell thing in Texas. Anyone who suggested that Blue Bell might have done wrong was pilloried as a traitor, until the evidence became too overwhelming to ignore.
>>
>>7166087

Yeap.. my fingers typed beefy for some reason.. You are right, its bitey
>>
>>7164391
Not him, but it literally takes just 2-3 hours to make cheese at home.
>>
>>7166105
draining yogurt doesn't count as making cheese, asshole
>>
>>7166121

...are you retarded?

1. Boil milk
2. Add a few spoonfuls of yogurt or lemon to it
3. Let the milk curdle fully. (this is NOT yogurt)
4. Drain in a cheese cloth
5. Press the curds to get rid of excess whey

This is literally cottage cheese.

A lot of cheeses are made from the pressing of curds together. Yogurt is used to start the curdling process, but the result from adding yogurt to hot milk is not yogurt itself.
>>
>>7166145
I wouldn't exactly call that "making cheese" tbqh. You're just curdling milk. You're not even using any rennet.
>>
>>7166183
I described how to make paneer, which is classified as a kind of cottage cheese.

>You're not even using any rennet.

What the fuck is this logic? There are a number of soft cheeses that do not use any rennet in their production.

I don't care what you call it, because what you call it doesn't overrule facts.
>>
>>7166183
cheese

a food made from the pressed curds of milk.

it doesn't matter that he's not using rennet. you're just looking for things to argue against.
>>
>>7162976
>homemade cheese is easy to make
>all it takes is time and effort.
What's easy about putting in effort over a long period of time? BTW I made cheese st home and no its not fun or wasy but worth it imo. Also stop trying to sound superior because u can make cheese. Tribal sand-niggers and Africans can make cheese ur not a snowflake sry
>>
>>7166145
Just because u used a cheesecloth doesn't make ur pressed together curds cheese or make u a cheesemaker. Making real cheese takes 6 hours from milking a cow . Using yoghurt already has the wrong bacteria in it so u made hard yoghurt.
>>
>>7162976
>Paying lots of money for said product
>Americans don't appreciate it

Ok there bucko.
>>
>Americans can't get high quality cheese for cheap at the local market

ho ho ho, dumb fatclaps lose again!!
>>
>>7165711
It seems to me that paying for supremely overpriced things that could easily be slipped into a jacket pocket with no one being the wiser, and the "victim" being a multi-billionaire family, is the opposite of responsible.

I bet you buy movies and video games too.
>>
It takes a surprising amount of milk to create cheese.
>>
>>7166278
>not flying all over the world for cheese wheels
>>
>>7166243
You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>7162907
If you're buying at trader joe's or whole foods then everything is expensive. The non-GMO organic vegan granola (which is the exact same granola as any other granola) will run you 20 bucks for one snack bag.

Find a good local deli or barring that buy it online. You'll get better quality for better prices. In the US with the shipping system and more and more goods moving online brick and mortar are becoming a thing of the past for any quality/specialty goods. Just go online and buy some high quality cheese in bulk and pay a fraction of what it would cost you at any of the organic whole foods type markets.
>>
>>7166306
>He thinks companies that sell commodities make multi-billionaires

commodities have incredibly slim margins so you have to sell in huge bulk to make any money. With cheese in particular most of the quality cheese comes from medium sized companies where the owners probably make between 100-250k a year before taxes.
>>
The Vons stores I go to here in Los Angeles all have a very varied cheese section that's actually apart from the american cheeses that come in blocks or shreds that is surprisingly good.
It's not hard to find any good cheese. They sell great stuff by the assload.
It's expensive because it's convenient btw OP.
No one that works fulltime or whatever is gonna milk an animal and then age that into whatever cheese they want cause it takes fucking forever compared to driving 5 minutes to the store and just buying some.
It's not even that expensive, i used to buy that powedered parmesean stuff cause i thought it tasted alright, never had a good cheese. But i sprung the $12 for a good piece of parmesean and grated it on some chicky chicky parm parm and fuck me it's the best to use the good stuff.
>>
>>7166364
Why does milk from a surprised cow cost more then that of a calm cow?
Is it because you have to keep coming up with new ways to startle them? I could see that being very costly and time consuming.
>>
>>7166878
>No one that works fulltime or whatever is gonna milk an animal and then age that into whatever cheese they want cause it takes fucking forever compared to driving 5 minutes to the store and just buying some.
This is so stupid.

'No one is gonna spend all their time raising a cow from birth, caring for it and feeding it then slaughter and butcher it into cuts when you can just go to the store and buy steak for 8 dollars a pound!'

Of course they are, that is their job. Also I'm not surprised you think Vonn's cheapo block cheese that is sold in every grocery store in america is good cheese if you think powdered cheese is alright. You probably think kraft singles are pretty good cheese too.
>>
>>7166857
From Forbes Rich List 2015

>8. Christy Walton and Family: Net Worth $41.7B
>Source of wealth: Wal-Mart

>9. Jim Walton: New Worth $40.6B

>11. Alice Walton: Net Worth $39.4B

>12. S. Robson Walton: Net Worth $39.1B

>37. Beate Heister & Karl Albrecht Jr: Net Worth $21.3B
>Source of wealth: Supermarkets

>49. Theo Albrecht Jr & family: Net Worth $19B
>Source of wealth: Aldi, Trader Joe's

Sure is hard to make a buck out of supermarkets
>>
>>7166997
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>7166878
Which Vons do you go to?

Vermont/3rd?
>>
>>7166997
>>7167102
1. pathetic samefag
2. You don't even understand the difference between someone in the commodities business and someone in the distribution business

Someone who sells cheese through walmart is not the same as owning walmart idiot. Try again.

B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>7166997
Not who you replied to, but that doesn't disprove what that other anon said.

The only reason they're so rich is because they move high volume. The margins are really thin. Wal-Mart's margins are like 3%.
>>
>>7167116
owning walmart or trader joes also means you're in the distribution business, a completely different model than being in a commodity business.

Someone who creates and sells a brand of cheese takes on all the costs of creating, passing federal regulations, marketing and delivering the products.

Huge distributors like walmart can negotiate down their margins down to razor thin because they are such a huge distributor and is taking a percentage (usually the bigger half) off the top of every single product sold at walmart with only the brick and mortar and employee operating costs where as the guy selling his blocks of cheese through walmart is lucky to gross a nickel off each block of cheese. To even be profitable selling through walmart he needs to move HUGE numbers.
>>
>>7167112
Not samefag.

The original point was about stealing from supermarkets. This guy >>7166857 was the one who made the confusion between supermarkets and commoditie makers. I was just showing him that supermarkets do infact create billionaires, which was what he was attempting to refute in his post.
>>
>>7166306
Not everyone here shops at Walmart
>>
>>7167360
bullshit
>>
>>7162976
You can make aged cheese at home? Even if you knew how to make a good cheese at home, it takes a lot of care and it fucking stinks, you need proper humidity for it and all of that.
Also,
>testresultscamein_urafaggot.webm
>>
File: Sadness_and_Despair.jpg (381 KB, 1166x783) Image search: [Google]
Sadness_and_Despair.jpg
381 KB, 1166x783
>>7165555
More or less this.
The demand for cheeses which asian will eat, will only increase.

>>7164656
>All cheese is literally sold at a 300% markup from actual cost due diary lobby
>mfw
>>
>>7166857
>it's so hard being in the grocery business
This fucking meme needs to die.
My grocery store alone, which is nothing special, makes over $2,000,000 a week easily.
>>
>>7164615
What are the best stores? Have you ever been confronted?
Where can I learn?
>>
>>7166857
>>He thinks companies that sell commodities make multi-billionaires

When the flying fuck did I say that? I was talking about the retail stores that sell the products. Do you know how retail works? The people who made the cheese have already been paid. Everything you see on the shelves of a supermarket has already been paid for in full, by the supermarket to the producer. The supermarket makes up it's losses by selling those purchased products to consumers at a huge markup. So no, contrary to what you seem to believe, theft does absolutely nothing to the producers, because they get paid for their work regardless. The ONLY victim is the supermarket that has to eat the cost of the shrinkage, which as I said I could give less of a fuck about in the case of national chains.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.