[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is so special about spam, the brand of canned meat? They
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: you lost me.jpg (759 KB, 1390x1140) Image search: [Google]
you lost me.jpg
759 KB, 1390x1140
What is so special about spam, the brand of canned meat?

They are usually $15/kg at my supermarkets, they had a 50% sale on them recently so i bought the "With real bacon", turkey and less sodium versions.

The real bacon version is REALLY salty and tastes worse than the cheap chinese luncheon meat i usually buy. The turkey one is really good though.

But theres no way this stuff is worth $15/kg when i can get fresh meat for a lot less and throw it in the freezer.
>>
>>7162635
So you bought 3 shitty versions of spam and the original good spam? Yeah it's salty but you adjust your seasoning elsewhere in the cooking process
>>
File: maker.jpg (49 KB, 639x426) Image search: [Google]
maker.jpg
49 KB, 639x426
Hawaii fag here.

If Spam needs to be imported and sold at luxury item price points it's not worth buying.

I'll buy Spam if it's on sale, but the only preparation I've ever really enjoyed was musubi, where the saltiness of the Spam is balanced by a huge loaf of white rice.

>it's actually really good, and easy to prepare
>>
>>7162635
>But theres no way this stuff is worth $15/kg when i can get fresh meat for a lot less and throw it in the freezer.
Emergency rations. It lasts for a couple of years in the pantry in case of Hurricane or some castastrophe. Hence, it because a staple in families who lived on islands. Believe it or not, hams and bacon are quite perishable. Canning was the de facto "way to go" for preserved meat, that and vienna sausages, air-dried beef (armour) and canned corned beef hash. If you didn't like tuna, that is.

Consequently, there are created family recipes using the stuff, that makes the cycle of cravings. So, it's a big deal in Hawaii, a mainland luxury. It's big in the Caribbean, and mountain families in remote places. It would have to be part of the rotation to use food from your pantry before it goes bad. So chipped beef on toast, spam breakfast (and very similar to scrapple I might add). In hawaii, where teh food is crazy mixed up fusion of fishy asian-pacific food combined with starchy pork centric food, it's more peculiar. It's on the McDonalds breakfast menu and it's wrapped around sushi both.
>>
>>7162653
what is supposed to be the "real" price of spam?
>>
>>7162659
>what is supposed to be the "real" price of spam?
$3 for a small 12oz can, just google checked it.
>>
>>7162635
>$15/kg

Wow in the UK it's like half that
>>
>>7162659

$2.50-3 a can in the US.

Never seen it priced in dollars per kg; you figure out whatever conversion that is on your own.
>>
>>7162668
so why is it so expensive elsewhere
>>
>>7162673
$3 per can at 340g each can is like $9 per kg.
>>
>>7162696
Do you think it got to other countries magically?
>>
>>7162714
Let me put it this way....NZ beef is cheaper in other countries than NZ itself, so its not exactly far fetched.
>>
>>7162635
How long it lasts and the quintessential nature of it as a meme food to drive up the price in less popular areas.

Never actually had any myself as a clapistani. I assume it's crappy ham with a long shelf life, which is perfectly fair as a desperation food.
>>
File: p1150267-1.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
p1150267-1.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1500
>>7162696
Some countries were introduced to spam during The War and for them it's a luxury imported food which reminds them of the Freedom and Liberty granted to them by the U Ess of Ay.
>>
>>7164095
the fuck

is that an expensive gift set with spam and wine?
>>
File: 1381994665159.png (12 KB, 468x425) Image search: [Google]
1381994665159.png
12 KB, 468x425
>>7164095
>>
>>7162635
>throw it in the freezer.
enjoy your diluted taste. I didn't uesd to think it made a difference, until I put ground hamburger in the freezer for a week, thawed it, and made meatballs. They were the worst meatballs I've ever tasted.
it's not like anything else in my recipe could have changed, only the meat.
>>
>>7164095
Oh god this is hilarious
Fuckin gooks man
>>
>>7164095
Korea speaky people
>>
>>7164258
>expensive

It's $32 U.S.
>>
>>7165706
For Spam. $32 United States minted in God's trust dollars.

The trick to good spam eating is to slice it really thin imo.
>>
>>7165724
Those 32 bones are also paying for whatever is in the bottles. It's not $32 for a few cans of spam.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.